For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: Sarek married a human woman. Multiple times. He is the Vulcan ambassador to Earth and raised a half human half Vulcan hybrid himself.

Name a better Vulcan to raise a human child.
Not the point - Sarek is supposed to be an Ambassador, not the owner of a human foster home.

I get that they're doing it as the requisite call out (see also: McCoy touring the D, Enterprise and Voyager docked at DS9, Archer's dog in the movies, and half of all Enterprise episodes ;) ), but I suppose the only thing it establishes is why Spock is ace - when your family life includes "yeah, I have multiple siblings that my father never bothered telling me about", no wonder he's not interested in a marriage!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I find it fitting that Mary Sue style characters came from a Star Trek fanfic and now they have come home with an official Mary Sue as the main character of nu-Trek, it's like poetry.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote: Sarek married a human woman. Multiple times. He is the Vulcan ambassador to Earth and raised a half human half Vulcan hybrid himself.

Not the point - Sarek is supposed to be an Ambassador, not the owner of a human foster home.

I get that they're doing it as the requisite call out (see also: McCoy touring the D, Enterprise and Voyager docked at DS9, Archer's dog in the movies, and half of all Enterprise episodes ;) ), but I suppose the only thing it establishes is why Spock is ace - when your family life includes "yeah, I have multiple siblings that my father never bothered telling me about", no wonder he's not interested in a marriage!
It's also not the point because all of a sudden Spock has a human adopted sibling that has never, ever been mentioned once in the 50 years of canon (IF you consider this show canon... which, incidentally, I do not). They could have easily made her the foster child of a different Vulcan who felt responsible for getting her parents killed and it would have been exactly the same backstory for her character, but it just HAD to be Sarek, didn't it? Like he was the only Vulcan that existed on the whole planet...

We all know why they did it: Sarek is a recognizable name to Trek fans, so they don't have to even bother with coming up with a new Vulcan character and their backstory. It was easier to just say "It's Sarek" because we ALL know who he is, so he requires almost zero explanation. It's lazy and ridiculous.

And no, Sybok is not the same. Although I despised his introduction also, he at least has the benefit of being a social pariah and total outcast... the typical "black sheep of the family." There's a reason that his existence is shunned and denied by Sarek and Spock - he literally goes against every tenet of Vulcan society. Burnham doesn't have that luxury though.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
AllenGould wrote:

He isn't the owner of a human foster home. They establish that he had direct contact with her after the attack. The two had a moment between the two of them. Plus, he established a telepathic bond with her. And if foster care is anything like it is today, there is a long drawn out vetting and placement process that isn't exciting to watch.

They didn't put the names of everyone in a hat and choose one at random for her to row up with.
Legate_Damar wrote:It's also not the point because all of a sudden Spock has a human adopted sibling that has never, ever been mentioned once in the 50 years of canon
You didn't listen to me upthread, how about D.C. Fontana?
KIRK: Captain James Kirk.
SAREK: Captain.
KIRK: My First Officer, Commander Spock.
SPOCK: Vulcan honours us with your presence. We come to serve.
SAREK: Your service honours us, Captain.
KIRK: Thank you. Chief Medical Officer Doctor McCoy.
MCCOY: Ambassador.
SAREK: Doctor. My aides and she who is my wife.
AMANDA: Captain Kirk.
KIRK: Our pleasure, madam. As soon as you're settled I'll arrange a tour of the ship. Mister Spock will conduct you.
SAREK: I'd prefer another guide, Captain.
KIRK: As you wish, Ambassador. Mister Spock, we'll leave orbit in two hours. Would you care to beam down and visit your parents?
SPOCK: Captain, Ambassador Sarek and his wife are my parents.
If he didn't mention his father after serving with them for over a year, what are the odds he's mentioned anyone else in his family.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
I can't recall STV, but did it establish that Spock had never talked about Sybok?
 -  
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote:I can't recall STV, but did it establish that Spock had never talked about Sybok?
Something to that effect.

My headcanon is that, since we've established that Michael and Spock would have to have been raised together (we're only ten years away from Spock-on-Enterprise), that Spock as part of his "I'm totally a Vulcan" was just a total dick to her growing up and that's why he never mentions her. I mean, she gets to be all *special*, and he works his ass off and is still a half-breed. He just resents her. Vulcan inferiority complex at it's best.

By lotjx2
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
We all have to understand its an alternate timeline from the original, so they are going to screw around with it. All of TOS cannon is gone as soon Nero arrived. I am not ok with Spock's new sister, but if we happen to get Qunito on the show, I am cool with it.

I couldn't even find a way to watch the first episode besides the ridiculous pay wall. Its stupid to charge Americans extra when the rest of the world is getting via Netflix. Typical Paramount Greed.
 -  
Community Contributor
lotjx2 wrote:We all have to understand its an alternate timeline from the original, so they are going to screw around with it. All of TOS cannon is gone as soon Nero arrived. I am not ok with Spock's new sister, but if we happen to get Qunito on the show, I am cool with it.
Didn't they go to great pains to say that this *isn't* Abrams-verse?

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:I can't recall STV, but did it establish that Spock had never talked about Sybok?
Something to that effect.

My headcanon is that, since we've established that Michael and Spock would have to have been raised together (we're only ten years away from Spock-on-Enterprise), that Spock as part of his "I'm totally a Vulcan" was just a total dick to her growing up and that's why he never mentions her. I mean, she gets to be all *special*, and he works his ass off and is still a half-breed. He just resents her. Vulcan inferiority complex at it's best.
Actually, Spock is already on the Enterprise, serving as science officer under Pike. (The Cage takes place 2 years prior to this)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 -  
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote: Actually, Spock is already on the Enterprise, serving as science officer under Pike. (The Cage takes place 2 years prior to this)
Which really puts a wrench in the whole "Sarek is pissed Spock is in Starfleet", when he's got two kids in the 'Fleet at the same time.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
lotjx2 wrote:We all have to understand its an alternate timeline from the original, so they are going to screw around with it. All of TOS cannon is gone as soon Nero arrived. I am not ok with Spock's new sister, but if we happen to get Qunito on the show, I am cool with it.
Didn't they go to great pains to say that this *isn't* Abrams-verse?
Oh yes, yes, yes. This has been touted quite frequently as a "Prime timeline" series, NOT a part of the JJ-verse or another separate AU.

Which is patently ridiculous. There is just no possible way this is a true part of the Prime timeline.
KillerB wrote:If you're not prepared for a huge dump on canon then you shouldn't be watching.
Why are you watching this if it's blatantly taking a huge dump on canon?

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
Legate_Damar wrote:
KillerB wrote:If you're not prepared for a huge dump on canon then you shouldn't be watching.
Why are you watching this if it's blatantly taking a huge dump on canon?
I watched the premier on CBS. I'll eventually watch it when it's free. I already stated that Trek is like pizza, even if it's bad I'll eat it.

I sat though three bad seasons of bad enterprise for two good episode (mirror), and sifted through 7 years of Voyager for a few nuggets of gold. Maybe Discovery will pan out something of value.

And for some dumb reason I trust Nicholas Meyer to give me something I like.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:I sat though three bad seasons of bad enterprise for two good episode (mirror), and sifted through 7 years of Voyager for a few nuggets of gold. Maybe Discovery will pan out something of value.

And for some dumb reason I trust Nicholas Meyer to give me something I like.
I can respect that. I'm of the same mind. If it turns out there is some gold to be found, I'll definitely watch it. I also concur that I'm not going through a paywall to get at it, though.

Speaking of Nicholas Meyer, I trust the man implicitly. I mean, the man pulled a miracle off on two separate Trek movies, found a way to de-ham Shatner and turned Kirk into a truly relatable character, and set the tone for the rest of the franchise. WoK is still not just arguably the best Trek movie, but also just a damn good film in its' own right, and VI was the best send-off the TOS crew could have hoped for. He's got an unimpeachable Trek track record. I think he's mostly on-board Discovery just for "nerd cred" though, kind of like Peter Cullen for the live-action Transformers. If the rumors are true, and they already have him developing another project in case STD crashes and burns, then I'm already there! LOL

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tourna[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]