For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By ikeya (David Kuck)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Finished S1 of Discovery on Monday and watched the Short Treks on Tuesday.

I think my expectations were so low though that I still found myself enjoying the series after about 4 eps in or so. Some ups and downs, but overall, I enjoyed it in spite of myself and preconceived notions. Saru and Lorca grew on me a lot during the series. Stammets and Tilly have potential. Unfortunately, I don't care for or care about Burnham at all yet.

I'm still quite annoyed at the Kilngon redesign and other continuity issues. (My wife did get annoyed when I'd point them out.) I agree that it would have been better if they positioned this after Voyager/Nemesis and do whatever they want.

I am sad that they had to throw in just enough to get TV-MA and TV-14 ratings though. I remember my family huddled around the TV watching TNG when I was 9 or 10 years old. I'm annoyed that I won't be able to share this with my kids in the same fashion.

I'm still angry at the CBS All-Access model. Luckily I didn't pay for S1 since I had 2 months of free trial to go through. I'll probably watch S2E1, then not watch until S2 is done or they have enough content to warrant another sub.

I have a suspicion that they'll be spreading out Discovery, Georgiou's new show, and PIcard's new show throughout the year to try to get folks to subscribe year round for a weekly dose of Star Trek.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
So, I have seen the first epizode of the season 2 and I hvae got to say - I like Pike.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
vlasopes wrote:So, I have seen the first epizode of the season 2 and I hvae got to say - I like Pike.
Yup. Anson Mount put on an incredible performance.

I enjoyed season 1, but Pike has already put his stamp on whats looking like a wholesome, Trek like season 2
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
Great start for the new season - some good Trek sense moments, some gags, and a great new captain... BIG LIKE !!!

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Clerasil ToB wrote:Great start for the new season - some good Trek sense moments, some gags, and a great new captain... BIG LIKE !!!
Maybe good old grumpy Martin will also give it a chance after this one episode? :)

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
First thoughts
Well... apart from the ridiculously over the top action scenes and the in-your-face dialogue, I actually thought it wasn't half bad.
Nowhere near Orville level but at least something you can build on.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
monty42 wrote:First thoughts
Well... apart from the ridiculously over the top action scenes and the in-your-face dialogue, I actually thought it wasn't half bad.
Nowhere near Orville level but at least something you can build on.
This, despite the 'Holy shit! Ben kinda enjoyed this' was what I was hopefully expecting from you. I knew the action wouldn't be your thing. But you can't deny that they're deliberately overhauling the way the show is going with some quality writing and a stunning performance by Anson Mount.

They made a point that the show was gonna be more wholesome. Pike stands out (hopefully) as one of the best captains.

Gotta wait and see. I'm impressed so far.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
sexecutioner wrote:...a stunning performance by Anson Mount.
Actually I was quite impressed. Anson Mount is a household name for me because I'm a huge fan of Hell on Wheels (which I started watching cuz Colm Meaney is in it).
However if I hadn't known in the first place that Mount was in Disco, I probably wouldn't have recognized him. Which I think speaks volumes about his acting chops.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Nice to see the crew doing some actual discovering. The war seems to have taken a toll, especially Stamets who is ready to throw in the towel. Pretty sure that won't happen, though.

It seems as though they're addressing fan concerns, with formally introducing the bridge crew and having a fun bit with Saru's threat ganglia.

That was a huge tease with Spock. Titling the episode Brother and showing us his young version in the teaser, we got to hear his voice. They are really stretching that out.

Mount's Pike is fun. Having missed a lot of the war, he's not the same guy thinking about retiring we saw in The Cage, he's getting a bit of his mojo back. We got the requisite butting heads segments, but he'll stick around, which is good for an opening credits regular.

Probably the best second season premiere after Amok Time, but that's not saying much.

I need me more Tig.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: The war seems to have taken a toll, especially Stamets who is ready to throw in the towel. Pretty sure that won't happen, though.

I need me more Tig.
I assumed she'll be replacing Stamets. Stamets has to go off on a Magic Mushroom Ride with The Traveler and Wesley anyways.

The Premier was good, if you delete all the useless flashbacks.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor.Ret wrote:If we mention Spock 100 times, people will think this is Star Trek, right?
--Every Star Trek producer or writer since 2009.

I think that's one reason why Star Trek writers find it so frustrating when people say, "The real Star Trek is The Orville." The Orville doesn't have ANY of the continuity hat-tips that current Trek producers use to establish the "legitimacy" of their work within the franchise. If Orville mentioned Spock (or Pike, or Archer, or Orion slave girls, or Section 31, or the Mirror Universe) even once, they'd be sued into oblivion. But because Star Trek is ultimately about the spirit of Star Trek instead of the continuity details, The Orville can (and does) capture it better than Discovery and show all those continuity references for what they are:
Erin Horakova wrote:I want to throttle whoever’s dumbass idea it was to gamify continuity, trading the sense of a stable world necessary for the development of emotional and thematic through-lines for a facile "spot the reference" game intended to glut media consumers with smug, masturbatory self-satisfaction because they can recognise tribbles or whatever. (Source)

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.