For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By First Maje (Jon Fry)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
The first two episodes were pretty terrific. I'm not much concerned with canon (most ST series violate their own at some point anyways) and would expect a series made in 2017 to look more modern than one produced earlier, regardless of where it takes place in the timeline.

The theme music is a letdown, though. Not sure they can even try to salvage the opening sequence the way DS9 and Enterprise did in later seasons without scrapping the whole thing. It reminded me a lot of Daredevil and Westworld - just meandering atmospheric droning while we see something or other on display. A bit of a yawner.

Still excited to see where Discovery goes and no problem at all paying $2.50 an episode for the next couple of months.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:I thought that #whiteklingon was a bit on the nose for social commentary.

I like The Albino Theory. I always assumed he was a Klingon. Did they say where he was from in DS9?
DS9 never did, the books establish him as Klingon.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
KillerB wrote:I thought that #whiteklingon was a bit on the nose for social commentary.

I like The Albino Theory. I always assumed he was a Klingon. Did they say where he was from in DS9?
I demand Errata!!

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
I liked it and am looking forward to the next episode.

By the way, anyone who finds it odd the lead character is called Michael obviously isn't a fan of the Bangles

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:
KillerB wrote:"Ok, she's human, but her family got killed by Klingons and Sarek raised her."

Should've been met with "that's fucking dumb"
By that logic, we shouldn't have Worf.
Let's be real: TNG Season One Worf was pretty dumb. It took 4 seasons of TNG (2-6) character development to really make him interesting.

So yeah, there's a chance this pans out, with a lot of work, but that's a long term investment. I'd be curious as to whether Discovery's writers were even thinking that far ahead.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
Worf was raised in Iowa by the Kirk family? Someone said it right, Sasha is a bad fan-fic character.

Worf also spend 7 years on the Enterprise getting his ass kicked. Then he goes to DS9 and is a kung-fu master.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
AllenGould wrote:

The books also established mirror Jadzia as being unjoined; after the timeframe of DS9, mirror Curzon Dax dies and passes the Dax symbiont straight to mirror Ezri Tigan.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:
KillerB wrote:"Ok, she's human, but her family got killed by Klingons and Sarek raised her."

Is the issue that she's raised by Vulcans, or that it's Sarek again? Is there no other Vulcan in the history of Vulcans who will raise a human child?
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
OK, only just watched episodes 1&2 last night. My :twocents:

Things I didn't like:
- Lighting / Cinematography - Yeah, it feels a bit JJ-ish. The action is too "busy" and badly illuminated for my liking. But I've had issues with lighting since Generations - my beloved well-lit galaxy class ship went to "illuminated by nearest star" mode. The reality is, large metal ships floating around in the darkness of space won't be as brightly illuminated as we saw on TV for years. They've added realism, and I just have to accept that one.
- Mutiny - Seems a little drastic. I can see the reasoning, but I feel like other avenues should have been pursued before this happened.
- Klingon ships - Not the Klingons themselves, no issues with make-up revisions (that's been a thing for years) and loved the death yells, references to Kahless etc. No issue with them having been "off the scene" since Enterprise. However the ships just look out of place in-between Enterprise's D5 and TOS's D7.

Things I did like:
- Burnham - A complex and flawed character, best series lead since Sisko. Sisko had issues to overcome, whereas the only character development Picard got in the pilot was "I don't like kids". Janeway was just out to prove captains can be tough AND have a vagina, and Archer had issues with Vulcans cause they were mean to his Dad. Burnham is a good starting point for this show.
- Saru - The trailer included that standalone line of "sense the coming of death" which just felt awkward, but in the context of the show, it makes sense. He's a character with flaws - and I'm excited for them to explore this character more. He treads an interesting line between cowardice, self-preservation and cautious conservatism.
- T'kuvma - A Klingon Cult leader who rallies the Klingons to war and gives them the motivation to be the bad guys for the show? Yes please!
- The fact that there is a plot. It doesn't involve time-travel, or kelvin-verses, or god-like superbeings or space jellyfish mysteries, or whatever-the-fuck-was-going-on-with-Khan-in-Into-Darkness. Just good old fashioned political and cultural tensions. Thumbs Up.

Other thoughts:
- Holocommunicator. Clearly a glitchy and less smooth version than the one seen in DS9, but I can accept that some technologies go in-and-out of fashion over time. Look at 3-D - once an unusual peculiarity of certain 50's movies, now a modern day staple (and yet I still don't like it, along with many others, so I could easily see it going out of fashion again, before coming back further down the line.
- Cost. Stop grumbling you fucking tight bastards. I'm buying Netflix JUST for this purpose. It's the evolution of TV. I used to pay a LOT more to get new episodes of Star Trek on VHS release day (during DS9/Voyager I was paying out 2x £11.99 per fortnight for 4 new episodes). This is much cheaper, AND I can afford it these days. If you claim to love Star Trek but won't pay to watch it, you just look like a fucking ass-clown, and ultimately if the show gets cancelled, it will be your fault.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
KazonPADD wrote:Things I didn't like:
- Lighting / Cinematography -
The lighting brought out the ranks on the Delta badges, making them clearly visable :)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:

Is the issue that she's raised by Vulcans, or that it's Sarek again? Is there no other Vulcan in the history of Vulcans who will raise a human child?
Sarek married a human woman. Multiple times. He is the Vulcan ambassador to Earth and raised a half human half Vulcan hybrid himself.

Name a better Vulcan to raise a human child.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I was a lot happier about the show after episode 2 than episode 1. Theme music and credits are poor, otherwise feeling good. Quite like the redesigned Federation aesthetic. At first I wasn't pleased with the Klingon redesign but I guess they needed to distance themselves from the mostly pointless role the Klingons have played in the rest of trek (with the exception of The Way of the Warrior arc). These Klingons feel like worthy antagonists, although modern Trek might struggle with complex villains whose motivations can't just be dismissed.

I hope that (presumably big budget?) Trek can maintain enough of an audience to pay for itself and it lasts longer than Stargate Universe did.

Life sentence seems like a bit much, but she has to be in episode 3 so that won't matter much. Some things in trek remain the same.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Fritzinger wrote: Life sentence seems like a bit much, but she has to be in episode 3 so that won't matter much. Some things in trek remain the same.
Federation courts need new lightbulbs.
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]