For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
Legate_Damar wrote:If you liked it, great, you're entitled to your opinion. But I didn't, and I don't have to care what you think.
So why do you then? You arguments are not compelling to me, sounds more like bragging about the old days and bitterness about them gone. I like that my belloved show is alive and feeling great.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?

Overall I'm very very disappointed! There was a chance to do something different with this show. A chance to somehow rekindle Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future. But apparently that vision doesn't sell.
I'm deeply disturbed that in todays society all we get entertained by is war.
And apparently that's all that this show is about which is further from Gene's vision than anything has ever been.

Anyway I very much enjoyed the premiere for what it was. Up until today I was disturbed by the look of the Klingons but that went away instantly. I think what helped was them speaking klingon all the time. I think that was a very bold choice because nobody likes subtitles but it made them feel very authentic. Also in just two episodes they showcased their culture and belief system very well.

A woman named Michael though? That took me out every time I heard it.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
monty42 wrote:Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?

Overall I'm very very disappointed! There was a chance to do something different with this show. A chance to somehow rekindle Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future. But apparently that vision doesn't sell.
And apparently that's all that this show is about which is further from Gene's vision than anything has ever been.
I very much hope that Discovery part will be about exploration.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
The Shenzhou computer is a murderous dick!

Micheal had to out-logic it to activate its ethical mode hahahahaha.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
There are a lot of bad ideas that should've been shut down.

"Ok, she's human, but her family got killed by Klingons and Sarek raised her."

Should've been met with "that's fucking dumb"

I read that White Captain's 'Make it so' was going to be "Git r done" since he has a slight Southern accent. Fucking unreal. That probably would've happened to but Larry the Cable Guy trademarked the phrase.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?

Anyway I very much enjoyed the premiere for what it was. Up until today I was disturbed by the look of the Klingons but that went away instantly. I think what helped was them speaking klingon all the time. I think that was a very bold choice because nobody likes subtitles but it made them feel very authentic. Also in just two episodes they showcased their culture and belief system very well.

A woman named Michael though? That took me out every time I heard it.
Apparently "woman with a man's name" is a fetish of Bryan Fuller's or something... several of his shows have featured female characters with male names. It's yet another ridiculous aspect of Burnham's character that prevents me from taking her seriously in any fashion. I mean, she's a goddamn Vulcan weeaboo. That's just ridiculous. I mean, Vulcan kids bullied the shit out of Spock for being half-human. How was she not a pariah for her "cultural appropriation"? How is she not ridiculed to the point of ostracism for being a "poser"?

How about the fact that we have a show called "Discovery"... about a ship named "Discovery"... and it looks like very little actual discovery will be done? Mostly just gonna be a weak Game of Thrones copy with political intrigue and interpersonal conflict bullshit. I share your sentiment of disappointment that all people can be entertained by now is violence and war.

As for the Klingons, I would have actually joined you (and many others) in saying that they were probably the single best aspect of the entire production... except for that hideous redesign. I just can't get past that at all.
KillerB wrote:There are a lot of bad ideas that should've been shut down.

"Ok, she's human, but her family got killed by Klingons and Sarek raised her."

Should've been met with "that's fucking dumb"
^This x1000. She's literally a fanfic-tier character.
Cersan wrote:So why do you [care what I think] then?
I don't, actually.
Cersan wrote:You arguments are not compelling to me, sounds more like bragging about the old days and bitterness about them gone.
And you haven't bothered making an argument at all....
Sounds like a person who'll just take any old garbage that's spoon-fed to him without questioning its' quality or validity.
Cersan wrote:I like that my belloved show is alive and feeling great.
[/quote]
Good for you.

By Entilzha
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I am quite ... indifferent. /Vulcan Reply

I know, I don't post here hardly anymore. With that out of the way...

While I don't hate it, I don't like it either. In some ways it's Trek, while in others, it doesn't make a lot of sense. (Those points have been made already, so I won't re-hash it)

I'm probably going to watch it a few more episodes before deciding whether to continue to watch it. Lucky for me, the channel Space showed both episodes, and will show the whole series, on TV; and lucky for me, it's one of the channels I have on my cable package (yes, I still have cable; now get off my lawn).

EDIT 1: One positive note was, upon waiting for Discovery to start, Space showed all of the old Trek films, and got me a little nostalgic for an Enterprise-E/Son'a deck, so I started to play with something in the deckbuilder. At least until I remember why I hate the game in the first place, lol.

EDIT 2: Is it just me, or does The Orville feel more like Star Trek than Star Trek has lately? Sad.
Last edited by Entilzha on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I have to check if Netflix Canada is getting this...

But just want to say: I would watch the *hell* out of a season of Klingon politics if you took the humans out of it.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:I have to check if Netflix Canada is getting this...

But just want to say: I would watch the *hell* out of a season of Klingon politics if you took the humans out of it.

I dont believe Netflix will be carrying this. I could be mistaken but I dont believe they are.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
ChadC wrote:
AllenGould wrote:I have to check if Netflix Canada is getting this...

I dont believe Netflix will be carrying this. I could be mistaken but I dont believe they are.
Not in the US, but internationally it's on Netflix.

Unfortunately, it looks like Canada isn't quite international enough - it's on Crave (read: Bad Netflix) and Space (read: Syfy, but last I checked still airing science fiction ;) ).

So, hopefully Space will stream it, because I'm not paying Crave.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I wish they didn't give Michael the backstory they did, and that it wasn't a prequel which is bound to create continuity problems and create barriers for quite some fans, but that said I really liked the set-up, the compelling visuals, and the main characters. I was afraid they'd screw up the Klingons, but once they did the death yell, added to actually hearing them speak Klingon, I was actually slightly impressed, and the new look makes them fearsome as well.

We've only seen two episodes, so I think it's way too early to dismiss that we won't see any discovery. I at least am quite hopeful after this decent premiere. The only thing I was kinda disappointed with was the intro. When I saw a clip of an orchestra performing I was impressed at first, but within the episode it actually felt a bit cliché and boring.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Did anyone catch some of the Starfleet ship names? :)

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
sexecutioner wrote:Did anyone catch some of the Starfleet ship names? :)
I kinda had a seizure after U.S.S. Jaeger...
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
I'm getting a bit confused here.

Your decisions about your personal finances are your own, but I'm presuming that if you take issue with having to pay for Trek, you never bought a ticket to one of the feature films. Or a DVD.

I'm also confused about not liking the new look of the Klingons, we've seen over five designs thus far, not including this show.

Really liking that we had an Asian and African-american woman as the two leads. Take that, Bechdel Test! Considering Saru is an alien, this was very diverse. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the rest of the series follows this lead. An all human review board and the Discovery seems to be very much human centric, although there is 'something going on.'

Someone is more popular than Spock? Perish the thought!

Oh yeah, in terms of why we haven't heard about Sarek's ward, remember that father and son haven't spoken in decades. Spock didn't even introduce him as his father initially.

updated with VPs and Errata

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling St[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]