For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thread necro........

so I'm late to the game on this. I signed up for Paramount when Picard was coming out, filled with hope, and watched the first four or 5 episodes of Discovery when they came out. I wasn't impressed.

I HATED Picard, I think it was probably the single most disappointing thing I'd ever watched, and I canceled my subscription to Paramount.

Well, now that they have reclaimed all the Star Trek series, I signed up for it again, and watched Strange New Worlds, which I LOVED. So knowing that Disco lead into SNW... I decided to return to Disco for the backstory on Spock.

What a clusterfuck this show it. LOL I mean, I don't out and out despise it like I did Picard, but I'm late into season 2 right now, and episode called The Red Angel.

Rant on:

WHAT is with all the speeches? Every episode there is a 5 minute speech by a character to the audience about humanity, or logic, or hope, or some other topic. It never resonates because it never connects to the characters.

Examples of GOOD speeches: Picard in the First Duty dressing down Wesley about "truth". I feel it more if he's speaking to Wesley and not the camera. Or Sisko talking Worf out of running to the Niberite alliance because "A Starfleet officer, that's what I am".

The Red Angel it Michael Burnam. Duh. Who didn't have that figured out 5 seconds after we learned it was appearing to Spock right after his sister left? (Okay, they got me on this! LOL Not Michael after all)

Airiam: As the show goes on I'm annoyed there are these characters, specifically most of the bridge crew, we know nothing about because they never tell us anything about them. Like I still don't know the helmswoman's name. With the implant? Because she never gets screen time away from the helm.

So I'm happy to see Airiam finally used! And they kill her! And at the beginning of the Red Angel episode she has a 5 minute funeral with all her longtime friends in tears. OH REALLY??? Because I never saw any of you interacting with her! Not on camera anyway! She had a longer goodbye than Jadzia Dax has after 6 years, and at least I felt something when Sisko is standing over her coffin saying "Damn it old man, why aren't you here!" I still remember that line! I don't remember Airiam's funeral which I just watched twenty minutes ago!!!

I have to love and give a shit about someone to relate to the pain of their crewmates when they die. I can't love and give a shit about someone that has 10 minutes of screen-time on the bridge. Would any of us cry if Ensign Rager died? I know her about as well as I know Airiam.

Tyler/Voq is annoying, I don't like the character at all. I'm rolling my eyes at the absurdity of some of these mycelia network plotlines. I mean start trek has always done some stuff that is out there, these are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY out there. That episode where they are half in half out the network was terrible. Saru must have called Burnam 45 times in that episode to say "we have to go NOW or we die" over a 15 minute period. Yet they didn't die. Just AWFUL writing.

Tilly is fantastic. Burnam is a great character and I love the actress. Saru has a great backstory. The Lorca thing I did not see coming. That was well done. Terran Georgiou I like that plot line, she's awesome. It isn't all bad. I honestly like the casting and the performances it is the writing that is letting this show down.

I know they jump ahead into the year 3000+ soon, maybe I'll like it more then lol. I remember hearing about hat at the time and thinking "yeah, the producers realized their show sucks, and everyone is sick of TOS/preTOS stuff, so they decided to reboot it."

okay I'm done, just needed to rant.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
They get their footing in Season 3 and 4.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:13 pm They get their footing in Season 3 and 4.
I stuck with it because of your statement. My GOODNESS was the end of season two a clusterfuck. The battle was... absurd. I love a good space battle but that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. A bunch of escape pods and shuttles flying in circles around her to protect her in the middle of the battle. It was impossible piloting frankly. No way in hell they wouldn't smash into each other, or her, or just get blasted by the 30 starships attacking them.......

BUT..................

You were right! Season 3 and 4 I loved!!!!!!! I actually felt emotional connection to the characters. Adira Tal's episode on Trill, finally meeting their former hosts, that gave me all the feels. The ultimate reason for the burn was... absurd...... I mean, just completely implausible by any metric...... but the rest of it was so good I could look past all that. Definitely "Star Trek" as I love it.

They are still trying to hard, giving 10 minute explanations for science and engineering challenges based on current knowledge (As someone who loves physics and astrophysics, I appreciate the effort but just give me 1 minute of technobabble and stick to the plot). Honestly I don't know how the guy who plays Stamets doesn't just slap the writers sometimes, but other than that, it is good stuff.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
@Takket I'm so glad you it worked for you. I know Disco isn't everyone's cuppa.

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
A lot of people really seem down on Season 4, and I just don't get it. It's one of the most Trek like seasons any of the series have ever done. A huge, truly alien race is just smashing through our galaxy because we barely register as life to them? That concept is incredible.

By Yalenus
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Cartagia wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:44 pm A lot of people really seem down on Season 4, and I just don't get it. It's one of the most Trek like seasons any of the series have ever done. A huge, truly alien race is just smashing through our galaxy because we barely register as life to them? That concept is incredible.
I know some of the stuff that seems to be turning folks I know who otherwise really enjoy Discovery off about season 4 is that some of the casualties feel...mean spirited to create drama that isn't required.

Like, the central issue of the season would've been big enough to feel meaningful without "AND HERE WE MAKE IT PERSONAL".

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
As I just found out, Season 5 will also be the last. That would finally put an end to this suffering.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:12 pm As I just found out, Season 5 will also be the last. That would finally put an end to this suffering.
QFT

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:47 pm
Enabran wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:12 pm As I just found out, Season 5 will also be the last. That would finally put an end to this suffering.
QFT
Nah, it'll be Enterprise season 4 all over again. It'll be so awesome that you'll pull your hair out and yell WHERE THE HELL HAS THIS VERSION OF DISCO BEEN THE LAST 4 YEARS?!?! THEY FINALLY PROVE THEY *CAN* DO IT RIGHT AND NOW THEY'RE CANCELED?!?! AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

It'll be one last final indignity from the showrunners to the fans. :P

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
It scares me that you are probably right...
It would be nice if they could go out on a high note though
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
I maintain that seasons 3 and 4 are solid and I look forward to 5.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:38 pm I maintain that seasons 3 and 4 are solid and I look forward to 5.
I've seen zero episodes of any Disco season so I make no judgments.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Other than season 1 (which is an all-time level missed opportunity), you're not missing anything unless you like hugging, crying, and, cheering (usually all at the same time) ostensibly right in the middle of a quasi-military professional environment.
Armus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:51 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:38 pm I maintain that seasons 3 and 4 are solid and I look forward to 5.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
abargar7510 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:39 pm Other than season 1 (which is an all-time level missed opportunity), you're not missing anything unless you like hugging, crying, and, cheering (usually all at the same time) ostensibly right in the middle of a quasi-military professional environment.
Armus wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:51 pm
Well, I *loved* The Orville, so...

*shrug*
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]