For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:…I'm presuming that if you take issue with having to pay for Trek, you never bought a ticket to one of the feature films. Or a DVD.
Ross - Do you really not see a difference between your paid media examples and CBS All Access?

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
But just want to say: I would watch the *hell* out of a season of Klingon politics if you took the humans out of it.
They should totally rip off GoT and make the story about how Kahless united Qo'nos. Hurq = whitewalkers.

Shit, if they can make a Khan mini-series it's possible.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote: Your decisions about your personal finances are your own, but I'm presuming that if you take issue with having to pay for Trek, you never bought a ticket to one of the feature films. Or a DVD.
I've never paid for the DVDs, because the Trek discs were always stupidly over-priced. So it's not an issue of "I will never pay", it's "I refuse to be gouged".
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
jjh wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:…I'm presuming that if you take issue with having to pay for Trek, you never bought a ticket to one of the feature films. Or a DVD.
Ross - Do you really not see a difference between your paid media examples and CBS All Access?
Did you see the four TNG films in the movie theater? Because then you've paid more than it would cost to see Discovery. And you can rewatch the episodes.

Plus, you can see more than Trek with CBS All Access.

Now if you can sit through that aftershow and resist the urge to punch your computer screen, you've a netter man than I.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Faithful Reader wrote:Did you see the four TNG films in the movie theater?
I did. But I wish I hadn't seen three of them. And that was a known property. So I can understand why people are reluctant to paying for this little experiment...

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:I'm getting a bit confused here.

Your decisions about your personal finances are your own, but I'm presuming that if you take issue with having to pay for Trek, you never bought a ticket to one of the feature films. Or a DVD.

I'm also confused about not liking the new look of the Klingons, we've seen over five designs thus far, not including this show.

Really liking that we had an Asian and African-american woman as the two leads. Take that, Bechdel Test! Considering Saru is an alien, this was very diverse. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the rest of the series follows this lead. An all human review board and the Discovery seems to be very much human centric, although there is 'something going on.'

Someone is more popular than Spock? Perish the thought!

Oh yeah, in terms of why we haven't heard about Sarek's ward, remember that father and son haven't spoken in decades. Spock didn't even introduce him as his father initially.
I paid Showtime to see Twin Peaks. There are people that pay for HBO for that fantasy show. Given these two examples, why wouldn't I pay for CBS All Access for a few months. We are not talking about a lifetime commitment or an annual contract.

By lotjx2
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I made sure I got HBO and Showtime free for 2 years to watch Twin Peaks and GOT. I might have to pay for HBO, but that GOT is not coming back til 2019 if we are lucky. God knows about Twin Peaks and I do mean God, because I don't even think Lynch knows what happened at the end.

As for the show...ehh...Listen, I am trying here. I really am. I want more Star Trek fans and I want to have an open community for this dream we have in this show. However, I won't swallow shit for it. I didn't for Enterprise and most of Voyager, I am not going to do it here. The main character is perhaps the worst Starfleet officer of all time. She is overly emotional, bullheaded and honestly not that smart. The technology for a show that is a prequel is fucking nuts. I will make the argument that this universe went tech heavy after Nero popped into to kill George Kirk, but holo communicators?!!! I think not. I am also not pleased that the decision to commit mutiny to start a war felt more like the screenwriters for a big cliffhanger ending to force you to watch the show and for the show to have a big fight for the sake of big fight. I also think the new alien science officer is fucking annoying. His entire being is to be an obstacle not a character.

The good is I like the Klingon stuff. Not pleased with prophecies being in this show. I do think the Albino Klingon was a nice touch for showing the Klingons are a bit racist too, yet the new Klingon leader is more accepting. It was a weird Star Trek message and in that scene you got more character development than any of the other characters. I do wonder if the Albino is the same one that is the foe of Jadzia and the TOS Klingons.

Michelle Yeo is always amazing and I want her to be the main character. Sadly, I know this won't happen and I haven't seen even seen episode 2.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
If Star Trek is such a money maker, they can put it on free TV and rake in the ad revenue.

Can I afford the subscription fee? Sure. But that's not the point.

I'm with Johnny on this one.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Let's not pretend this is anything new. TNG was the pioneered first run syndication, a model every network followed shortly thereafter. And Voyager was made in part to aid the fledgling UPN Network. And given the shit that show gets, why is everyone clamoring for a continuation of that time period?

And it isn't even limited to TV. They led the way when e-books became popular.
Armus wrote:I'm with Johnny on this one.
When you're able to watch it for free, will you?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:Let's not pretend this is anything new. TNG was the pioneered first run syndication, a model every network followed shortly thereafter. And Voyager was made in part to aid the fledgling UPN Network. And given the shit that show gets, why is everyone clamoring for a continuation of that time period?

And it isn't even limited to TV. They led the way when e-books became popular.
Armus wrote:I'm with Johnny on this one.
When you're able to watch it for free, will you?
I'd love a post-Dominion War Alpha Quadrant Reconstruction/Get Back to Exploration show. There's a lot to work with there.

And I DVR'd the premiere last night, even adjusting for late-run football. So that question answers itself.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
For only having seen the hour on TV here is my break down:

What i liked: i enjoyed that an Asian Female Captain would build a diverse crew of ethnic humans and far flung aliens (was it just me, or was there a ginger on the bridge?). Klingon diversity. Klingon death yell. Batleths. Captain saves native polulation WITHOUT exposing them to technology. Fun references to Old-Trek, including Original Series races, Enterprise references, Kahless references, etc.

What i did not like: New-Trek references in a supposedly Old-Trek show. Cinematic spinning cameras.The VideoGame schene (fly through unrealistically close asteroid belt with jet pack). Holocommunicators which dont resurface until late ds9?! Superlightship. We cant close the windows (then flip the ship so the ship's own shadow shields the bridge, cause that is how space works. Heinlein taught me that, it isnt new. Asimov used it, too.) And cloaking tech? Again? Really?

So, yes i will buy it on DVD/get it from the library like Dr. Who/Game of Thrones. No, i will not make another lifestyle change to watch it as it airs. In this way Orville trumps Trek. (Of course, i knew there was trek coming when i bought the antenna to watch Orville. But Orville earned not returning the antenna to walmart. Trek did not.)

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
The crew on the after show hinted at more exploration in season 2.

Also. That transporter room that was causing a shit show? Explain pretty much right away in 2 seconds :)

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I really enjoyed it. Concise characters and storytelling... there were only 6 characters in all. I thought they were all interesting and made me care about what was happening. And some surprises. The writing so far feels very focused Bryan Fuller.

The stuff I didn't like were mostly technical and design choices. The harsher lighting darker bridge and Dutch angles (which lets face it have always been used on trek --- and not even really by JJ) just didn't work. It was overdone and distracting for establishing the setting. The Klingons acted and talked like Klingons, the bad overdone makeup and Ship designs were unnecessary. Way too distracting and homogenizing for the storytelling they were trying to do.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
I liked it. And there was something that put a smile on my face - when the Klingon ship decloaked, it was nice to see that the ships weren't using the same horizontal plane, but were skew-whiff to another one.

That ship cannot use its transporters, but I think[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

One last check before I enter the event for the 28[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

I thought this was the intended functionality, and[…]

updated with VPs and Errata