For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I didn't care much for the Trill episode, but episode 5 had me excited!
Between the crew interrogations, and interactions, felt it was a really engaging and exciting episode.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I am fascinated by the guy that Georgiou was talking to. Seemed like a worthy opponent for her.

Remind me, wasn't there a problem with widespread use of the spore drive to the mycelial network, or was it just from the Mirror Universe's perversion of it. Doesn't really seem like the type of tech you'd want to spread around the galaxy to species that you don't trust not to pollute. Still, I wonder if the rest of the Federation ships will want in on the action...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
OMG, Tig Notaro is an absolute gem in this show. The snacks! :lol:

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Guardian wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:24 am I am fascinated by the guy that Georgiou was talking to. Seemed like a worthy opponent for her.

Remind me, wasn't there a problem with widespread use of the spore drive to the mycelial network, or was it just from the Mirror Universe's perversion of it. Doesn't really seem like the type of tech you'd want to spread around the galaxy to species that you don't trust not to pollute. Still, I wonder if the rest of the Federation ships will want in on the action...
The problem was due to the giant reactor they used in the Mirror Universe, it pulled power from the mycelial network and it was being poisoned or couldn't heal/regenerate itself, something like that.

By Spock with a Goatee (Stephen R Sanders)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:24 am I am fascinated by the guy that Georgiou was talking to. Seemed like a worthy opponent for her.
Yeah, David Cronenberg was awesome in that role. Probably my favorite guest actor in a Disco episode so far.

The thing with the glasses - hiding the telltale MU sensitivity to light that Disco established in Season 1, maybe?
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
Marquetry wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 pmThe problem was due to the giant reactor they used in the Mirror Universe, it pulled power from the mycelial network and it was being poisoned or couldn't heal/regenerate itself, something like that.
Right. I hate to be TNG racist, but you wouldn't want the Ferengi to get their hands on that, right? Or the Malon, maybe.
Spock with a Goatee wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:46 pmThe thing with the glasses - hiding the telltale MU sensitivity to light that Disco established in Season 1, maybe?
Oooh!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I think he's 31st century Section 31 and not Mirror. That let's the new Section 31 show be set in multiple time periods. :D

-crp

By Spock with a Goatee (Stephen R Sanders)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 pm I think he's 31st century Section 31 and not Mirror. That let's the new Section 31 show be set in multiple time periods. :D

-crp
Yeah, definitely possible as well. Could he be both? If he's S31, seems like he'd be the best portrayed representative of that agency since Sloan. I really didn't care for Leland/Control.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I haven't read up on the discussion here (for obvious reasons -- not nearly up-to-date); just felt I should pitch in with my tentative review of season 1; some light reading for anybody who's stuck in an elevator -- over the weekend -- and has already read the whole forum. (And also, wikipedia; please read that first, too. Heck, even Facebook might be a better novel to read than this review. No, it isn't.)

I started writing this weeks ago, and then... found out I was wrong about something, and didn't have time again to edit -- and curtail -- this post. Really! I deleted some stuff!

For those who wonder about me "suddenly" posting this: It's been a while that I've been here. Other things are keeping me occupied. No time, opportunity, nor energy, to play STCCG, ATM -- nor to be at the forum as much as I was. And in retrospect, not being here "as much as I wanted" forced me, for my own peace of mind, to "not being here at all", for a while. I trust & hope nobody was worried. :P

On-topic: I've finally started to watch Discovery. I'm at ep.11 ("The wolf inside"). So far, and -- unwilingly and semi-consciously -- compared to Picard, I love it. It's not Trek as I was used to, and it has its flaws. Especialy: the idiocy of placing this storyline in the remote past of the TNG era, while blatantly unwilling to adapt to that era's -- a.o. -- esthetics, biology, and technological level. (Spoiler & nuances:
alternate universe or not -- it's hard to believe, or at the very least without Trek prescedent, that the tech would be that far ahead. Unless... we must see that in the light of the TOS-era Defiant having landed in the Disco-universe ENT-era...? And, regarding the Klingons' anatomy: perhaps something opposite to the augment-virus-situation happened to them...? Hmm... Thinking about this just now...
)
But aside from that -- and, as hinted at in the hidden text, writing this might've helped me put it aside! -- I like the story, I can get along with most of the characters (and like one or three), and I like the less formulaic (is that a word?) manner in which the episodes are brought. It's... less polished, less episodic, more late-series-DS9 (which I loved).

A significant part of the reason I write this now -- not even having finished s1 -- is that I am quite passionate about Trek (and Wars, for that matter). So I tend to feel very strongly about new installments. And I have a wish to vent those opinions -- and having looked forward so much to PIC, and the new Trek films and Wars eps, has at times "forced" me to go on hate (or, in the case of Trek films, highly critical) rants. Right now, after some 8 hours of DIS, I feel quite positive still. And I wanted to share that happiness early -- in case it gets suckerpunched.

After the disappointment that PIC was for me, DIS has restored most of my faith in the franchise's contemporary life. Yes, it's updated in some manners -- and for most reasons -- that I don't agree with, like, or want. But other parts of the upgrades I do like, can get behind, or even enjoy. So... I'm glad.

Oh, for full dis-closure (har. har. har.), I should mention that going in, I already knew this huge, single spoiler* (which really helped me keep an open mind and not be stressed out all the time by the anachronistics of the series):
I knew that it started out in an AU, explaining all the various paradoxes and seeming inconsistencies, but also helping me accept the totally different look and feel.
Perhaps this might help other people (if any!) who haven't started watching yet, and -- like me -- dread their own reactions.

* Edit: the joke was on me! :o Further on, I seem to have understood, it seems that this "spoiler" I thought I knew, isn't true at all. I'm so glad I got to get used to DIS while "knowing" it, though. 8) It gave me breathing room to grow to like it.

The very best thing about DIS, though (and the reason that I still wanted to post this whole essay), is that I now -- finally -- understand Sexecutioner's tattoo. Big thumbs up! (Just curious -- what part of the series had you seen, when you decided to have it done? I mean, how soon were you so hooked that you wanted it in ink?)
Last edited by SudenKapala on Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:13 pm I haven't read up on the doscussion here (for obvious reasons -- not nearly up-to-date); just felt I should pitch in with my tentative review of season 1. For anybody who's stuck in an elevator -- over the weekend -- and has already read the whole forum. (And also, wikipedia; please read that first, too. Heck, even Facebook might be a better novel to read than this review. No, it isn't.
I, too, only started to watch Discovery during quarantine. Given what I had read from this thread, I wasn't expecting much. Perhaps that's part of why it has way exceeded expectations. In any event, I've found Stamets and Tilly to be worth the price of admission.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Seeing myself quoted like that, it might seem at a glance, that I think the series is elevator-stuck material :neutral: -- but of course I meant my own long post. I rewrote my OP. Thanks for pointing that out, Egde.

Thanks, also, for pointing out that my review wasn't long & complete enough. :roll: ( :cheersL: )

For, yes indeed, those characters! Tilly and Stamets are both great! :thumbsup:
Aside from Tilly's humour and generic awesomeness in all of her scenes, I
like it that finally, there's a big
person in Trek
. If only (but not only) for statistical reasons, rounded people need to be shown much more often in strong roles. Too bad she comes close to being comic relief -- because TV shows us, that IF big people even EXIST, they are mostly funny and seldom to be taken too seriously, or beautiful. (Contrast Sarah's colleague detective in The Alienist. Shown to be smart, attractive, a love interest, and plain normal, with no emphasis whatsoever on her weight -- just like with [hidden]Stamets' relationship. DIS got that one right[/hidden].)
However, eventually in s1 we can be confident that she never goes over the edge of being ridiculed, and she is to be taken seriously both
in the [MQ] as well as playing her [MQ] persona very well
. Not sure they couldn't have done that with any of the "scrawny" characters ( 8) ), but because I like Tilly overall a lot, I'll benefit-of-doubt and just enjoy watching her. (Ambiguousness intended.)

Michael: a bit bland-coz-perfect, but OK to follow as semi-Vulcan protagonist. Most others are just about interesting enough; except Ash who is even better. (
But while fun and involving, his being a transformed [Kli] sleeper agent is utterly far-fetched and almost ludicrous.
)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 pm I think he's 31st century Section 31 and not Mirror. That let's the new Section 31 show be set in multiple time periods. :D
I get the Section 31 vibe but he seems more like someone excited by the fringe Trek things (Mirror Universe, Time Travel) but got out of the business years ago but still keeps tabs. Think more like a retired Fox Mulder.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
edgeofhearing wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:11 pm Tig Notaro is life. Discovery has its faults, but Tig is not one of them.
She’s pretty awesome.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]