For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I suppose I should clarify: The Orville is not actually good and I don't recommend it. It is occasionally decent and seems to be really trying, and maybe someday it will be good. But it isn't yet.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:I suppose I should clarify: The Orville is not actually good and I don't recommend it. It is occasionally decent and seems to be really trying, and maybe someday it will be good. But it isn't yet.
I haven't seen the second season yet, but I thought the first was pretty solid considering it's a first season. It felt like they were still trying to find their balance between "Seth humor" and "scifi", but as you said - you can really see that they're actually trying and not just phoning it in. Hopefully they find their feet this year.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Just starting to watch the first two episodes of Season 2. Let's see how it goes...

TK

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
I like the second epizode even though there have been similar or even the same stories in other shows. But it was an old-school ST imho. And Pike rocks, I really do like him.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Probably the first Disco episode that I thoroughly enjoyed.
The first ten minutes made me care more about the Discovery crew than the entire 1st season.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
KillerB wrote:Too much Tilly Dumper Butt, but at least I got a LOL when she got blasted.
True. But there'll always be your Wesleys, your Jake Siskos and your Neelix'. I think there's rarely a show in which you like all the characters.
I can live with Tilly as long as they get their writing and directing right.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Tilly could get some neat scenes and character development when she finds out were her dead friend comes from.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Like when Wesley found out that Lakanta was really the Traveller...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:Like when Wesley found out that Lakanta was really the Traveller...
Go and schäm dich.

Now I got a picture of Tilly and Wesley looking at eachother with hearts between them.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Heaven bless Johnathan Frakes. He started out directing an episode in season 3 of TNG and has been in constant demand behind the camera ever since. Only Robert Duncan McNiel is doing so well on that side of things, although Roxann Dawson and Levar Burton have done well with that aspect of their careers as well.

The plot was fairly rote, but man did Frakes have some great shots in there. He really knew what he was doing and it was clear early on with that rotating shot.

This feels a lot like filler. Beyond keeping tabs of the overall plot, it seemed like an excuse to visit a planet except that they gave short shrift to said planet. Jacob got a lot of development, but beyond that, there just wasn't all that much on the bone. They could probably have put some of the essential elements in another episode and left this one out. Unless we revisit them which is something modern series have done. Think of Doctor Who Series 6.

So Pike now knows about the spore drive. Fun moment and I'm wondering how much more often it will be used.
monty42 wrote:Probably the first Disco episode that I thoroughly enjoyed.
The first ten minutes made me care more about the Discovery crew than the entire 1st season.
There is an enhanced focus on the rest of the crew. It seems like they are rebounding from the first season, but not going too far in the other direction. We got intros last week and this week Owosekun get's a plot of her own. She and Detmer had some great interplay in season one and I'm liking where this is going.

Note that we still haven't met the current security or medical chief.
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Tilly could get some neat scenes and character development when she finds out were her dead friend comes from.
One of them was improvised on the set. Got to love what happens when a talented actor meets a talented director.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Tilly could get some neat scenes and character development when she finds out were her dead friend comes from.
One of them was improvised on the set. Got to love what happens when a talented actor meets a talented director.
Absolutely yes! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Even though they overdue themselves by hitting you over the head with Star trek lore now, I enjoyed at least half of the episode a lot.

I found the Klingon stuff quite intriguing. The reveal of the D7 would've been much more meaningful, if they hadn't shown all the silly ships in season one. Maybe it's best to treat the show as if season one had never happened.

Unfortunately, for all the good parts of the episode, the part that was intended for comedic relief totally killed it. As if Tilly wasn't annoying enough on her own, they gave her an even more annoying ghost/fungus friend that reminds me a lot of the great gazoo.
And it felt totally out of touch with the rest of the episode.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]