For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MrVorlon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 pm
Armus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:48 am I haven't watched, but I heard the S3 premiere described to me as Star Trek: Firefly.

Can't confirm if true or not so take that for whatever you think it's worth.
I saw it as Star Trek: Jericho.
I saw a few comparisons to Andromeda as well.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
So what I'm hearing is it's Star Trek: other franchise ripoff.... :?

And nerds look at me sideways when I say I don't want to pay extra for new Trek content (or "Trek" content, as the case may be)...

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I see it as Star Trek: Catering to the Masses.
Although we have no idea what the masses want but we're gonna go with what mainstream media tells us...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Cultural diversity. Female empowerment. LGBT. Social and political commentary (ideally snarky). Make sure there are no sraight white males...
Wait what, there has to be a story...? Oh shit, we didn't sign up for that!
And... There's your new Star Trek!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
I also see a lot of fanboys (and girls) defend brainless bullshit cuz it's labeled Star Trek and of course everything labeled Star Trek "has to be great".

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
The show fails in every department, except visuals. Bad directing, bad acting and most importantly bad story telling.
The latest episode (similar to most previous) suffered from an overabundance of action sequences which paled into insignificance because there was no gravitas behind them. And without any meaning, action scenes become nothing more than visual noise which the audience can't bring themselves to care about.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 pm Cultural diversity. Female empowerment. LGBT. Social and political commentary (ideally snarky). Make sure there are no sraight white males...
See that's the difference between now and 50 years ago. Star Trek was progressive in its politics in the 1960s but they were actually good at conveying those messages in a way that didn't come at the expense of story.

That's why I'm content with my nightly H&I 5 hour Trek blocks and don't feel the need to spend extra on streaming content.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Armus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 pm
monty42 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 pm Cultural diversity. Female empowerment. LGBT. Social and political commentary (ideally snarky). Make sure there are no sraight white males...
See that's the difference between now and 50 years ago. Star Trek was progressive in its politics in the 1960s but they were actually good at conveying those messages in a way that didn't come at the expense of story.

That's why I'm content with my nightly H&I 5 hour Trek blocks and don't feel the need to spend extra on streaming content.
Armus wrote:a way that didn't come at the expense of story
See, that's the most important part here.
People (even me) will let you off the hook for a lot of things, if the actual story you're trying to tell is actually good.
I'm wondering, if anybody can tell me what the story that Discovery is trying to tell actually is...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Oh, so you don’t see yourself reflected in your TV? I wonder what that’s like?
Tribbles Art Manager
By Kamala (Andrea Heywood-Lobban)
 - Tribbles Art Manager
 -  
(High fives Maggie) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
For all the complaints of how un-Trek this episode is, that's kind of the point. Through no fault of their own, unless you consider reliance on a common element a fault, the Federation hit a huge stumbling block. We've seen the Federation go outside their jurisdiction before, this is another case of that. We get to see the effects on the galaxy, not just hear about it.

Also, those complaint signore the last two scenes. We have great insight into Book, who is kind of Neelix mixed with Quark but cool. There is also a Federation outpost still carrying on with the Federation although hope is in short supply.

The show has always been more action oriented. High Burnham was great fun to see. It is a daring move to focus on only two characters for the premiere (though nota s much when you look at the pilot) but it is a good jumping on point.
jadziadax8 wrote:
Oh, so you don’t see yourself reflected in your TV? I wonder what that’s like?
You go, Maggie!
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
Sorry but this was the worst episode of Trek I've ever seen. Not because of the story arc (possibly to come) but for one fact that gave me an absolute headache just watching this episode:

A Michael Burnham, spreading tears because the Federation is gone, but be just fine to vaporize multiple (former) federation members just minutes later, horrible...

And no, gun-Morn cannot cover that :P

(And yes, I liked Season 1 and loved Season 2 thanks to new Pike & Spock)

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Clerasil ToB wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:47 pmA Michael Burnham, spreading tears because the Federation is gone, but be just fine to vaporize multiple (former) federation members just minutes later,
Descendants of former Federation members perhaps. Unless they were 100, 120 years old, when "The Burn" happened.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Are you still upset that TNG season 1 didn't have Bavarians in Lederhosen suspended in stasis?

Hold that thought, I think we're on to a winner here. I'll phone up Kurtz and sell him the idea.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
The Burn was clearly named after Michael Burnham. Expect more Time Travel hijinx, Rules are meant to be broken...
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]