For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I did quite like episode 2. Not the best trek ever, but most definitely not the worst.

Saru's conversation with Tilly how she'd make a great first impression was very well done, and you gotta love (to hate) Georgiou. The tension and difference in style between Saru and her are just great to see.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
The Guardian wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:15 pm In television, I know there's some sort of threshold for "Created by" and similar credits. Often, when a show starts with someone in a high enough role in production, even if they leave, their name has to stay through the run of the show. I assume that's the issue with Bryan Fuller. Sometimes that credit has residuals, which is why people insist on them and why the others working on the show resent them after they go.
https://www.wga.org/contracts/know-your ... ted-rights

Some interesting rules on how "created by" credits are assigned. (And explains why Gene showed up in the credits looong after he was dead.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I must say I'm starting to really like this season.

Even though the episodes are connected, they have a more episodic feel to them. With a combination of hope, excitement, and fun, today's episode felt like real Trek.

I love the clash of styles between Saru and Georgiou. There's a bit more focus on the non-Burnham cast as well.

And I have high hopes for the Adira character.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Episode 3, People of Earth, was much better and I’m glad they are getting on with it. I’m liking the characters.

Yeah, they are continuing the season 2 episodic approach within a larger mystery search arc... but so far I’m finding myself a lot less interested in this mystery — where is / what’s left of starfleet, and what really happened with the burn (which happened 120 years ago but everybody talks about it like it happened 4 years ago, and it’s the most important event in everybody’s lives but nobody bothered to look into how or why it happened.)

Just musing — I don’t think world building fundamentals should be the big mystery we spend episodes searching for. I’d rather just find out and explore what it means. So hopefully the quickly get on with it.

Part of that difficult balance between ambiguity and mystery in the world building made particular reveals in episode 3 come off as pretty silly.

I’ve noticed Frakes does sometimes struggle with tonal balance in his other episodes.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
That was the actress that played Airiam in season 1. I'm not sure why, but they switched her out with another actress in season 2 and had the original actress's new character replace Airiam after her death. I wonder if it had something to do with the makeup or maybe they wanted to keep the actress, but Airiam was such a perfect character to die to Control. Either way, she's kind of been a fixture of the show from the beginning (depending on how you look at it) and I hope we learn more about all these characters going forward. It would fill in the universe of the ship to have them be more than just their jobs. I mean, what does male Uhura do in his spare time? (I'm kidding. I know it's Bryce.)

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
It was due to the make-up. The actress was still under contract, so rather than break that they gave her a new character to play and hired the second Airiam for season 2.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I also noticed the camera noticing her. (Kind of like how we know something is still up with Detmer based on how the camera follows her.)

She’s probably going to have a bigger role coming up.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Indeed ... something will be happening. Detmer feeling and acting so strange.

I noticed during the third episode, that Lieutenant Nilsson even had the bridge, when Saru entered it, so she is an officer.
I hope she will play a bigger role. She, Detmer, all the other people.

In TNG, DS9 and Voyager, every character got their 'own' episode from time to time. That is only possible when there isn't a plot that makes everything explode every two seconds.

Purely plot-driven shows provide no reason to watch them again AND they leave no time for character development.
Unfortunately.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:07 am Purely plot-driven shows provide no reason to watch them again AND they leave no time for character development.
Unfortunately.
Only if they do it poorly. We still re-watch Babylon 5 every other year or so, start to finish. A good story is a good story.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Dukat wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:07 amI hope she will play a bigger role. She, Detmer, all the other people.

In TNG, DS9 and Voyager, every character got their 'own' episode from time to time. That is only possible when there isn't a plot that makes everything explode every two seconds.
I've been thinking about it and I wonder how much of our feelings about this, which I share, are due to modern story-telling. I mean, we feel like we know our TOS characters, but really those were all "plot-driven" episodes and we really only got little dashes of personality from time to time. Ask yourselves how much you really know about Uhura or Checkov or even Kyle or Leslie (characters that would have been major guest stars like Barclay or Ro in TNG). Hell, besides being "raised by humans," we hardly got much backstory for Worf either and he was on two shows.

As for the (in my opinion, which I believe I share with some of you) overlong fight sequences, that ends up usually feeling like filler, which is a shame. As an example, the fast-paced transporter chase scene between Michael, Book, and the Orion/Andorian Currier guys was showy with beautiful landscapes, but was overall kind of a yawn. Maybe there was a bit of gaining trust there, but not as clear as it could have been. Whereas, Saru putting Discovery in the way of a quantum torpedo and then being willing to do it again after the torpedoes took out the shields in one shot was story-driven, so I was much more impressed. And we saw way less impressive CGI on that one.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Fans of The Last of Us Part II should recognise the new Trill introduced in this episode :wink:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I just lollered at Therapeutic Coloring Books!

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Will the discovery crew have a Nicolas Cage marathon at the cinema this week?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:09 am Will the discovery crew have a Nicolas Cage marathon at the cinema this week?
Ye gods, I hope not. We want them to feel better. :lol:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]