For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Also Heany, did you cheer when Pike said 'Rip the whole holo comm system out!' :wink:

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I'm quite impressed that Sonequa Martin-Green managed to add a second facial expression for this season. Let's hope she keeps evolving as an "actress" and adds a third one for season three...
Also let's see if they succeed to get rid of all the straight white male characters...
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
sexecutioner wrote:Remember that TNG season 2 wields some of the shows finest episodes :D
Oh, I know it. It was a backhanded compliment that was also double-backhandedly a real compliment!
 -  
Community Contributor
sexecutioner wrote:Also Heany, did you cheer when Pike said 'Rip the whole holo comm system out!' :wink:
Actually, I would have, but I had already cheered when they commented that Pike was the only guy left in the fleet who still used screens.

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I just watched "If Memory Serves" (I Really like how they brought back the Talosians, sans ass-crack head-backs, and Vina), and have to ask: Has there been any other instance of Discovery using the transporter SFX from "The Cage", or was it perhaps used on the Section 31 ship as a clever hint that the Talosians were helping Spock and Burnham by tricking Lealand and Gieorgou?
 -  
Community Contributor
JamesValEson wrote:Has there been any other instance of Discovery using the transporter SFX from "The Cage", or was it perhaps used on the Section 31 ship as a clever hint that the Talosians were helping Spock and Burnham by tricking Lealand and Gieorgou?
No, that was very much an audio hint.

Like everything else in Discovery's sound effect library, it didn't make much sense, but it instantly twigged me to what they were doing, which I admit I appreciated. Finally, having ears paid off!

They also had the respect and/or the TrekCore download access to use the correct Talos IV background sfx, which, again, I appreciated.

It was very weird that they went to the extreme effort of recreating the entire scene with the sound-flowers from "The Menagerie" but then decided to completely cut out the whole "Talos IV is an absolute secret and it isn't just restricted; visiting carries the death penalty" thing from TOS. Like, why spend literally tens of thousands of dollars to retain a minor thing when you're gutting the major thing?

Also, the recap at the start was a visually and aurally cluttered mess that captured the events without capturing their spirit, and it's really hard to excuse that when Doctor Who gave the entire world a masterclass in "nostalgic recap creation" for "Twice Upon A Time" barely a year ago. (But then "visually and aurally cluttered mess that captured the events without capturing their spirit" is a pretty good synopsis of Discovery!)

PHEW! Okay. I've been holding that in for four days and I guess it all just came out in a spasm here. Done now.

Eh, whatever. That was the weakest episode this season (at least so far; I'm only through "Perpetual Infinity"), and it's not surprising that it was also the most hamfisted attempt at nostalgia this season.

I'm still, for the most part, enjoying myself. I've even stopped actively cheering for Ash Tyler to die.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
New reason to hate CBS All Access:

Apparently I can’t run it as an Amazon channel on my TV. Fuck you, CBS.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
HBD to 2E designer, Foreman!

Edited to add: I don't know how this got here and not the HBD thread.
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Quick, someone make me a Reno/Entrapta meme!

-  
Community Contributor
sexecutioner wrote:Glad you're enjoying what you see so far. Story wise, the first half of this season is untouchable.

However, I have a feeling that after Project Daedalus, the main season arc properly kicks in, and you'll no doubt get a bit more critical of the story and writing. But it's all worthwhile for the great character work, especially the Burnham/Spock dynamic. These two actors bounce off each other really well. There's a moment with Pike that stands out as one of Treks finest moments.
Yeah, you were right. Once Daedalus put the story on a railroad full of "action beats," the show got drastically worse, from my perspective. The glimmers of good ideas seemed to drain right out of their heads so we could get more extended choreography, exposition, and shooty-shooty.

But it wasn't the disaster we had last year, where the second half of the show was overtaken by "tweeeeeest!"-driven writing. There weren't any "shocking" twists or turns, and that's a very good thing. It allowed a few character beats, however mundane, to survive intact, and gave the action beats at least a certain sense of earnestness and competence.

Bottom line, it was... fine. It hurt to lose the promise of the first half of the season, and I don't think I came away from the season with a single fresh idea in my head of the sort Star Trek always tried to give me. But it remained watchable all the way through. I didn't hate the characters, and liked several of them (including the Enterprise personnel, even Spock, although I thought his actor was a clear weak point in a strong cast). I could probably pick Gen Rhys out of a lineup now. It was probably good enough for me to justify spending money to watch Season 3 live instead of delayed.

I'm glad they've gone to the future. The canon conflicts were never Discovery's biggest problem, but they created a constant grinding background noise that made appreciating its successes more difficult. And now those conflicts will go away (hopefully), leaving everyone to focus solely on Discovery's core writing issues.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jadziadax8 wrote:Quick, someone make me a Reno/Entrapta meme!

This is all I can think about now. "Fascinating...."

-crp
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Bwahahaha!

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Off topic but semi-relevant, but the new She-Ra is well worth watching.

-crp
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
edgeofhearing wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:Off topic but semi-relevant, but the new She-Ra is well worth watching.
This is a true fact. My daughter and I have been watching it, and we've been enjoying it so much that we needed to make some lego figures for it:

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the d[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]