For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 850 posts
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
It's timely. A show about rebuilding something that was once great after a period of destruction. I'd be surprised if that wasn't part of the thought process.

Like most modern Trek though, I think we'll have to wait until after the third episode or so to get a feel for what this season is really about.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm It's timely. A show about rebuilding something that was once great after a period of destruction. I'd be surprised if that wasn't part of the thought process.

Like most modern Trek though, I think we'll have to wait until after the third episode or so to get a feel for what this season is really about.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am The Burn was clearly named after Michael Burnham. Expect more Time Travel hijinx, Rules are meant to be broken...
After they managed to not have Control become the Borg I'm willing to give the showrunners at least a little bit of benefit of the doubt here.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:21 pm So what I'm hearing is it's Star Trek: other franchise ripoff.... :?
Well, given that the full title of Andromeda is "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda", and all reports are that it was Gene's working notes for a Trek series... is it ripping off if you rip yourself off? ;)

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If Star Trek is going to start ripping off Gene Roddenberry it would be nice if he got some sort of credit or if they'd involve a Roddenberry with producing the show somehow.

I really liked the first episode! Excited about this season.

Aditya Sahil is a really interesting character. I hope they explore him more. What's he been doing all this time?

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Tim wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:58 pm If Star Trek is going to start ripping off Gene Roddenberry it would be nice if he got some sort of credit or if they'd involve a Roddenberry with producing the show somehow.

I really liked the first episode! Excited about this season.

Aditya Sahil is a really interesting character. I hope they explore him more. What's he been doing all this time?
What are you talking about? They credit Gene Roddenberry in front of every Star Trek episode! Why are you saying they don't? And wasn't Eugene Roddenberry a producer the first season of Discovery? I don't know if he still is.
 -  
MrVorlon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:55 pmAnd wasn't Eugene Roddenberry a producer the first season of Discovery? I don't know if he still is.
Roddenberry's son? Rod Roddenberry. EP on all the current Star Trek series. From the times that he is interviewed on the Roddenberry Podcast Network shows, I don't gather that he has a lot of authority to direct changes (I count almost 50 people with some sort of producer credit), but he is attached to all seasons.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm
MrVorlon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:55 pmAnd wasn't Eugene Roddenberry a producer the first season of Discovery? I don't know if he still is.
Roddenberry's son? Rod Roddenberry. EP on all the current Star Trek series. From the times that he is interviewed on the Roddenberry Podcast Network shows, I don't gather that he has a lot of authority to direct changes (I count almost 50 people with some sort of producer credit), but he is attached to all seasons.
Title sequence shows Eugene so I went with Eugene. I stand by that decision.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
"Executive" Producer on large tv/film productions isn't a creative or filmmaking role. It's financial and sometimes authority attached to another role. "Roddenberry" Entertainment, and Rod himself, obviously have a unique relationship with current Trek series. Rod certainly has been very visual on panels, etc. talking about concept.

It feels like Roddenberry Entertainment had more to do with developing and producing that Andromeda show because it was a smaller production coming more directly from a Gene and Majel concept. Regardless, the concept came from the same company.

I'm A LOT more interested in the "EXECUTE CONSULTANT BRYAN FULLER" I caught in the end credits (in addition to his creator credit in opening, next to Kurtzman). Is Fuller involved in Season 3? Is this still ideas how came up with on an original show arc/bible?

Fairly or not, I associate ideas I liked in Season 1 with Fuller, and stuff I didn't like (Klingon creature design, etc) as what he was against.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Tim wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:51 pm"EXECUTE CONSULTANT BRYAN FULLER"
I get that some people don't like the show, but that seems a little extreme.

;)

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think "Executive Consultant" means the writers asked Fuller's advice on Season 3 but he wasn't directly involved in writing episodes.

I'm definitely cool with that. Fuller seems to be.
 -  
In television, I know there's some sort of threshold for "Created by" and similar credits. Often, when a show starts with someone in a high enough role in production, even if they leave, their name has to stay through the run of the show. I assume that's the issue with Bryan Fuller. Sometimes that credit has residuals, which is why people insist on them and why the others working on the show resent them after they go.

As for Eugene, I'm sure you're right, MrVorlon. I went by the IMDb entry and his podcast. Must be a professional credit thing.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ah well. Episode 2 was not nearly as good as 1. Nothing that was introduced was done well or interesting. Conflicts were based on arbitrary character incompetence.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I want more High AF Michael Burnham.

Also,

Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]