For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 356 posts

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
I'm sorry if this comes off as ego. I've been told this wouldn't be a good look, but I've come to a decision.

After talking with Ken here in Texas Ive verified what I think are his motivations. I can't in good conscience support OP when it's lead does what's best for him and not the community. And has the audacity to blame others for his misdeeds.

I kept quiet during the Kenghazi scandal because I also thought it best to keep moving forward. But they decided to let a guy with questionable and shady character run Organized Play, and now we're reaping what they sowed.

I can't participate in this foolishness anymore. I'm taking a knee in 2018. I gave 2017 all I had and I don't want to watch bad decisions destroy the progress that was made. So in 2018 I won't play in any sanctioned events and I won't be running a Texas Chainsaw Masters in 2018.

The last part even pissed off some of my closest friends. I apologize, but this is what I feel I must do. My heart hurts when I'm always made out to be the bad guy because I put business ahead of myself. For once, I have to do what's right for me.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
We all know what happens when we fall on our swords around here. Nothing.

TK
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
John,

You are a big part of this community. You are vocal, brash and sometimes intimidating, but you tell the truth as you see it. That takes guts. I respect your decision based on your beliefs. This community will not be the same without you. I only hope it doesn't further erode confidence that we will all be playing Trek for years to come. :(
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Second thought that comes to mind...

As the head of Organized Play, how do you cheat while attending Organized Play's biggest event of the year, get caught, and are still Organized Play's highest official?

I think Kenghazi was the true start of the BBQ Era of Trek.

TK

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
That's too bad.
I was planning for Texas Masters to be my substitute for Worlds next year. Now I get neither.
That's the selfish part.
I do however understand why you are doing this and I respect you for that.
It's tough these days, trying to keep the community alive while simultaneously trying to set an example.
I just hope you get heard.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't get this it's me or him post. If OP is making decisions not in the best interest of the players, the players should request new OP. Should be interesting to see where popular opinion sides on this Green v Green pillow fight.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Your decisions, and your knees, are yours to do with what you want

Not running a Texas Masters is a shame. Not running a Texas Trek Get Together (the name is superfluous) is a shame. It seemed to give you focus, but more importantly, the promoting and running of the event seemed to make you, and those who attended, happy

Honest

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Might as well spell out exactly what you're accusing Ken of.
What you accused him of, being a sociopath. Not to such a degree, but talking to him I realized this decision was made solely because he wanted it. He only cares about himself.

I'm not a hero or a martyr for doing this, and it is selfish. But if you think it makes me the bad guy then I don't need to be part of this community. My efforts are only recognized by a few people. Everyone else wants to live in La-la Land or troll away. It's not worth my time.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:Should be interesting to see where popular opinion sides on this Green v Green pillow fight.
Dude - that was so good.

TK
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
I respect anyone's right to protest.

But how do we accomplish the goals/change we seek?

I've seen a lot of disappointment and disagreement with Ken's Leadership, but I haven't seen one member of the Community say: "I can do it better than Ken. I would like to be considered for the job."

I wonder why that is?

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
bhosp wrote:Might as well spell out exactly what you're accusing Ken of.
What you accused him of, being a sociopath. Not to such a degree, but talking to him I realized this decision was made solely because he wanted it. He only cares about himself.

I'm not a hero or a martyr for doing this, and it is selfish. But if you think it makes me the bad guy then I don't need to be part of this community. My efforts are only recognized by a few people. Everyone else wants to live in La-la Land or troll away. It's not worth my time.
Honestly as far as I'm concerned TCM is the model for all Trek events moving forward. The first question I'm going to ask about any tournament farther away than a 2-hour drive is going to be "can I sleep at your house and will you put meat in my mouth while I'm there?"
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Why don't you invite Ken on The Discard Pile and have it out publicly?

TK

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jjh wrote:I respect anyone's right to protest.

But how do we accomplish the goals/change we seek?

I've seen a lot of disappointment and disagreement with Ken's Leadership, but I haven't seen one member of the Community say: "I can do it better than Ken. I would like to be considered for the job."

I wonder why that is?
Johnny, I get what you're saying, but how many times has someone been removed from their position in the history of the CC? The M.O. of the CC has been to put people in positions and leave them there for good or ill. Charlie, in his role as Chairman, has continuously protected his team (as a leader should do) while not holding them accountable for their decisions (which a leader should not do).

How many Period of Reviews have come and gone where the party line was "Yeah, we're not perfect, we have areas to improve, I'd like to see X done better, etc." only to have the same people stay in the same positions and not only not change, but not even look like (to the public at least) that they have even considered why things need to improve, what the root cause of the problem is, and formulate a corrective action plan?

Historically, change has only happened when people decide to leave on their own and a successor comes in to clean up the mess. Given the culture I just outlined, Is it any wonder that nobody is stepping up to volunteer for the OP job?

I'll be interested to see who says what at the PoR this year.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
jjh wrote: "I can do it better than Ken. I would like to be considered for the job."
I don't want to take a side in this fight, but I was interested in the Director of OP job in the wake of James Hoskins' departure and was told the position was going to someone already in Organized Play at that time. If the OP position were once again vacated, I would definitely consider putting my money where my mouth is and applying for it.

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]