For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
I disliked Discovery before I saw the first season. I gave it a shot, because I really hoped it would be better than the first season trailer. It failed. I tried to imagine it's not Trek, but something else.
The fungus and the dog pooping in the fungus network or whatever you call it was still shitty storytelling.

I did find every episode to be ... a strain. It was hard to watch, yet I forced myself through the entire season.

The storytelling was bad, the characters unsound, the cinematics and special effects overdone and the plot twists farcical and sometimes simply asinine.

The trailer for season 2 does not seem to indicate that the ridiculous speed at which the plot unfolds decreases.
If anything, it will most likely be more action scenes, more drama and more plot twists within a shorter period of time.

That has nothing to do with Discovery being Trek or not.
It's simply a way shows in today's times are oftentimes done: not a single quiet moment, always action, always some new thingy threatening the entire galaxy.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Strap yourselves in later boys and girls, as I will do a full analysis on the mid season finale 'Into the Forest I Go'
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
When did a dog "poop" in the mycelial network? It had a problem, they fixed it. Poop was not involved.

What exactly is it you dislike? Story arcs in general vs episodic style? The scale of threat is "universe-threatening" not just "planet-threatening"? Do you want to see more "downtime" where the only threat is a malfunctioning holodeck? Will those stories captivate modern audiences? Maybe not. Is an exciting and evolving story necessary to survive the cut-throat TV universe? Definitely.

"Sorry guys, 2258 was a really dull year and nothing happened. Here's 15 hours of watching people going about there regular duties with no surprises or unexpected events."

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
KazonPADD wrote:When did a dog "poop" in the mycelial network? It had a problem, they fixed it. Poop was not involved.

What exactly is it you dislike? Story arcs in general vs episodic style? The scale of threat is "universe-threatening" not just "planet-threatening"? Do you want to see more "downtime" where the only threat is a malfunctioning holodeck? Will those stories captivate modern audiences? Maybe not. Is an exciting and evolving story necessary to survive the cut-throat TV universe? Definitely.

"Sorry guys, 2258 was a really dull year and nothing happened. Here's 15 hours of watching people going about there regular duties with no surprises or unexpected events."
Let me give you an example of another show doing it right: The Man In The High Castle. A modern show that uses the same style of storytelling, but has enough quiet scenes and 'in betweens' for character development and moments of clarity, despite a somewhat similar pace in unfolding the plot.

Every aspect of the story told in Discovery appears 'forced' and unnatural.
What exactly is it you dislike?
I think I stated that in sufficient detail. If not, see my previous posts to get a clearer picture.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Nazis taking over America?

Too unrealistic and convoluted...

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap