For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 1314 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:49 pm Somebody, quick, crack a joke! Post a meme!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-iwGy1UTs

(The channel also has days 1-5.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I have been summoned!
Attachments:
131892499_10157603811851825_7572253692912599180_n.jpg
131892499_10157603811851825_7572253692912599180_n.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:49 pm I reckon CBS took over before/during Enterprise?
They took over in 1967 (Season 2 of TOS) when Lucille Ball sold Desilu to Gulf+Western.

Different versions of Viacom/CBS/Paramount/Gulf+Western have been the same majority-owned conglomerates splitting and merging since the 1920's.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks Tim. I just rember the Paramount logo from the DVDs, and somehow I associate the CBS logo only with the "newer" series... My bad. Also somehow, I thought so from the context (which I'm too tired to get back into -- had my first Lackey training game just now; fun and PFTI is a great teacher, but also taxing to soak up all that info). Thanks anyway for clarifying! :thumbsup:
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:04 pm...and the latest films... oh well... they're in a parallel universe already, so I can stomach them as apocryphal. They're funny, in their own non-canonical way.
I don't mean to make anybody rage, but the Kelvin timeline was just mentioned a couple of weeks ago in Discovery (which is in the Prime timeline, in case there was still lingering doubt). Hey, if you think that's just non-canon mentioning non-canon, you do you, but I thought it was kind of a cool nod.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:04 pm...and the latest films... oh well... they're in a parallel universe already, so I can stomach them as apocryphal. They're funny, in their own non-canonical way.
I don't mean to make anybody rage, but the Kelvin timeline was just mentioned a couple of weeks ago in Discovery (which is in the Prime timeline, in case there was still lingering doubt). Hey, if you think that's just non-canon mentioning non-canon, you do you, but I thought it was kind of a cool nod.
I couldn't help but rage against the new Wars eps. :( No rage (at all) about Kelvin, is what I was trying to say. My words were ill-chosen; I sort of mashed up non-canon with AU. (And I think I consider Disco as canon, too -- I just wish it had been a slightly different parallel universe, too... like I originally thought it was.)

I'll try again: Because the Kelvin films are AU, I can really like them -- but as heavily leaning into the action comedy genre that I sometimes appreciate. (The Fifth Element is the perfect example of that genre; I LOVE that.) If the Kelvins were prime, however, I would regretfully like them a whole lot less -- because I tend, and want, to take the prime universe much more seriously.

But... I still haven't seen Disco past s1 yet... :? So please, no spoilers here? (This one was minor, and prolly just nice to look forward to, though. :thumbsup: )

And, ah, does anybody mind getting off topic for so long? If you do, please say so -- or post a joke! :D :cheersL:
 -  
Community Contributor
The Guardian wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 pm (which is in the Prime timeline, in case there was still lingering doubt).
Well, except that Disco already goofed Prime continuity by name-dropping the Gorn ten years before Kirk has first contact with them. ;)

Honestly, what even *is* Trek canon anymore? :P
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:33 pm
The Guardian wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 pm (which is in the Prime timeline, in case there was still lingering doubt).
Well, except that Disco already goofed Prime continuity by name-dropping the Gorn ten years before Kirk has first contact with them. ;)

Honestly, what even *is* Trek canon anymore? :P
True. I think every show has goofed a little. I'm not positive this is one though. First, I don't think the name was dropped. Even if so, Kirk and Co. never say they've never heard of them before, so there might be a general awareness, like TNG folks and the Ferengi. Perhaps the Feds just knew the Gorn were reptilian and out there somewhere and Kirk just takes the Metrons on faith that that was them. (After all, Harad-Sar dropped their name to Archer.) DISCO Spoiler:
And then, of course, Lorca's Gorn skeleton might indicate that he made an unofficial "first contact," but Mirror Starfleet knew about the Gorn almost a century before, so there's no reason he wouldn't.

None of which, of course, rises to the levels of other canon goofs by the shows that people who revile DISCO accept as canon. (I did mention that TNG people had never "seen" a Ferengi before, right?) I mean, we had the same complaints about the Borg and Ferengi when ENT did episodes with them. TNG re-wrote the book on Klingons and Romulans (in TOS, the Klingons were treacherous and the Romulans were honorable).

That being said, the Klingon re-design still bothers me. I just can't get it through my head what we were supposed to think Worf looked like... I mean, I'm sure that's how TOS fans felt with TMP. "Am I to believe that Kang, Koloth, and Kor all had head ridges?" And right after ENT sorts that out, they stir the pot again. And not for a really good reason, I feel. But it's like McCoy said, "I know engineers production artists; they love to change things." Or maybe it was...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Many good point there; and a meme mocking engineers, to boot! (I used to work work with a few, and I guess it still is my classification.) :thumbsup:

So much we can say about continuity... and so little.

I knew immediately that the Borg ep from ENT was off, but it had already started with a UFO found in a blizzard-hammered snowscape; can't go wrong from there, for me. Then drones happened. Couldn't have been better if there'd been a submarine in it, too. Even though it wrecked the Borg-Earth history. (And hinted at the largest plot hole in my favourite Trek film.)
What I mean to say -- it served a fun purpose, for me. And as much as I may disagree with other decisions, they probably were fun for somebody else.

Also, usually, it doesn't cross the toe-curli threshold too much. (Not like the new Wars eps, for me.) So in that sense, in Trek, I have no right to complain.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
My biggest beef with ENT was that the Borg Sphere was found a) largely intact despite getting hit with Quantum torpedoes and falling through Earth's atmosphere and more egregiously, b) that it somehow managed to crash at the south pole despite being in orbit over Montana!

Somebody is gonna have to do the math for me on how those things happen in any plausible way. :evil:
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 pm b) that it somehow managed to crash at the south pole despite being in orbit over Montana!

Somebody is gonna have to do the math for me on how those things happen in any plausible way. :evil:
I mean, someone would have to fire up Kerbal to do a proper demo, but here's a handwave. ;)

Quick Googling says that geosync orbits (i.e. "orbiting over Montana") are only viable between 0 and 15 degrees latitude. Montana stretches from 44 to 49 degrees. So you can't just park "over Montana" without being under constant thrust.

So... figure that getting blown to heck imparts some momentum, and that losing power means you can't fake your stable orbit, half an orbit gets you to the South Pole. Looking at the SpaceX diagrams, the Dragon deorbit burn is about half an orbit away from where it lands. Reverse the polarity and toggle the technobabble, and it lands right where the plot says it should. ;)

edit: I do wish I was better at KSP, because that would be an interesting thing to try and model.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:41 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 pm b) that it somehow managed to crash at the south pole despite being in orbit over Montana!

I mean, someone would have to fire up Kerbal to do a proper demo, but here's a handwave. ;)

Quick Googling says that geosync orbits (i.e. "orbiting over Montana") are only viable between 0 and 15 degrees latitude. Montana stretches from 44 to 49 degrees. So you can't just park "over Montana" without being under constant thrust.

So... figure that getting blown to heck imparts some momentum, and that losing power means you can't fake your stable orbit, half an orbit gets you to the South Pole. Looking at the SpaceX diagrams, the Dragon deorbit burn is about half an orbit away from where it lands. Reverse the polarity and toggle the technobabble, and it lands right where the plot says it should. ;)

edit: I do wish I was better at KSP, because that would be an interesting thing to try and model.
I'll get Sprout on it!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 am
AllenGould wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:41 pm

I'll get Sprout on it!
Wow, this escalated quickly!

I'm gonna feel real dumb when a 10 (?) Year old proves me stupid and of COURSE it crashes at the south pole you Physics ignoramus!
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]