For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
If you've been to the front page today (as of about 5 minutes ago), you've seen that the CotD for both games today is an empty cardback, with our In Memoriam banner across it. The reason for that is that not a member of the Star Trek cast, but a member of the Star Trek CCG family has died. I've just learned from Warren Holland that Rollie Tesh, one of the original two designers of "Star Trek The Next Generation: CCG" has passed away. As he is one of those that we can truly point at and say "without him, none of this would exist", I felt like it was a fitting tribute to make the CotD go blank for a day.

Information is still coming in, and as it does I'll update this thread with links to any online obituaries or tributes that I can find over the next few days.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:Sad news indeed.

Presumably K'Tesh was named after him?
No, actually he wasn't. He was named for John Tesh, the actor under the makeup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The card back is a nice tribute, albeit very sad news indeed.
KazonPADD wrote:Presumably K'Tesh was named after him?
I never made that link, although I immediately recognize his name, probably from the 2 times I read the Player's Guide.

Best wishes (is that OK to say?) to anybody who knew him personally. We all owe a great deal to him; his work flavours a lot of the hours I get to spend in leisure. I'm grateful for that.

Strange coincidence -- on monday, for the first time ever, I found a spot for K'Tesh in a deck (a new Klingon fun deck I was working on since a few weeks). I wanted to use that card since forever (because, unrealistically, I want to have played all cards at least once; and because he's Klingon), but never found the chance in my decks -- until just now. A tiny bit eerie, but mostly fitting, somehow.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Suden Kapala wrote:The card back is a nice tribute, albeit very sad news indeed.
KazonPADD wrote:Presumably K'Tesh was named after him?
I never made that link, although I immediately recognize his name, probably from the 2 times I read the Player's Guide.

Best wishes (is that OK to say?) to anybody who knew him personally. We all owe a great deal to him; his work flavours a lot of the hours I get to spend in leisure. I'm grateful for that.

Strange coincidence -- on monday, for the first time ever, I found a spot for K'Tesh in a deck (a new fun Klingon deck I was working on since a few weeks). I wanted to use that card since forever (because, unrealistically, I want to have played all cards at least once; and because he's Klingon), but never found the chance in my decks -- until just now. A tiny bit eerie, but mostly fitting, somehow.
Just so we're all clear, as far as I know, John Tesh is still alive, so no spooky creepy factor there.

As for the CotD, great call, Chris.

If possible, can we also get a main page graphic to accompany? Would be both explanatory and fitting.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maelwys wrote:No, actually he wasn't. He was named for John Tesh, the actor under the makeup.
Oh. That info came in while I was typing.

Still, when I play K'Tesh now, I'll think of Rollie. And to be honest my deck might be better off without Holographic support -- but I'll still leave him in, especially after this.

How old was Rollie?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:If possible, can we also get a main page graphic to accompany? Would be both explanatory and fitting.
I was planning on asking Johnny for something in a couple days when we have more information (dates, picture, obituary, etc). This was just a quick placeholder until that comes in.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Maelwys wrote:
KazonPADD wrote:Sad news indeed.

Presumably K'Tesh was named after him?
No, actually he wasn't. He was named for John Tesh, the actor under the makeup.

Are Rollie Tesh and John Tesh related?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh, that's such a shame.

I have no idea what he went on to do after 1E. And I always wondered how he thought of 1E, looking back decades later on what it became.

Godspeed to him.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:I have no idea what he went on to do after 1E.
He created SW:CCG, Austin Powers CCG, and Tribbles CCG.

Plus some other games that we don't care about as much. ;-)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:

Here's the BBG link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesi ... and-l-tesh

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:

Wow, if he was the one who developed the SWCCG mechanic then this truly is a loss for the gaming world.

Possibly the most brilliant, elegant game mechanic anywhere. Probably my favorite (sorry, Trek).
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]