For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Does anyone either have an uncut premier edition (either limited or unlimited) rare sheet or a picture of one?

I want to work out the rarity distribution numbers for each card (for trading and historical purposes).
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
UncleMorty wrote:Does anyone either have an uncut premier edition (either limited or unlimited) rare sheet or a picture of one?

I want to work out the rarity distribution numbers for each card (for trading and historical purposes).
That's easy - there's 121 cards of each rarity, and they were printed on an 11x11 sheet - one instance of a card per sheet.

Premiere is I believe the only set where the numbers work so cleanly.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Really? So they were truly 1:1?

Thats so odd. My aunt never really sold or traded much and I have 5-6 copies of alot of cards and 1-2 copies of the bridge crew and 2-3 copies of the best two missions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
T-Ricks wrote:Am I missing something? If there were just as many rares printed as commons/uncommons, what makes them rare?
Distribution.

There's 121 Commons but you get 11 per pack.

There's 121 Uncommons but you get 3 per pack.

There's 121 Rares but you only get 1 per pack.
 -  
Community Contributor
T-Ricks wrote:Am I missing something? If there were just as many rares printed as commons/uncommons, what makes them rare?
How many of them were printed and put into packs. There's only three sheets (1 rare, 1 uncommon, 1 common), but they printed a *lot* more common sheets than rare sheets. :)

They do it that way for collation - you print up your rares, do some sort of shuffling (which may or may not work - google "mtg box mapping" for things terrible people do when you don't shuffle enough), and then stick one in each pack. Do the same thing with your uncommons, except you print more and put three in each pack, then again with commons.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
UncleMorty wrote:Really? So they were truly 1:1?

Thats so odd. My aunt never really sold or traded much and I have 5-6 copies of alot of cards and 1-2 copies of the bridge crew and 2-3 copies of the best two missions.
Collating wasn’t very random in premiere... meaning if you got 1-2 copies of the bridge crew and 5-6 copies of other cards... the reverse was true for someone else.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
And then you hope Bob and Susie load the machines right: as there are confirmed boxes where the packs had many or no rare cards...

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Jono wrote:

Collating wasn’t very random in premiere... meaning if you got 1-2 copies of the bridge crew and 5-6 copies of other cards... the reverse was true for someone else.
SWCCG was this way too. I once bought a box and technically got 1 rare per pack but every rare was crappy/junk/cheap. :? :(
 -  
Community Contributor
Jono wrote: Collating wasn’t very random in premiere... meaning if you got 1-2 copies of the bridge crew and 5-6 copies of other cards... the reverse was true for someone else.
It's still a problem in CCGs - as recently as a couple years ago you could still find software to map out Magic boxes. (It's why it's recommended you buy a sealed box rather than individual packs, unless you trust your LCG to (a) not box-map themselves and (b) not let people buy specific packs out of the box.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Collation was still a problem in Voyager starting decks for sure. I got a couple boxes a while back and posted the rares and had the same combination come up multiple times.
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
Jono wrote:

Except that is what I would expect from something truly random. If every booster was random, independently from each other booster, I would get much more of some rares than others. If I bought very many boosters it would converge towards 1:121 times the number of boosters. But making it converge would take very many thousands of boosters.

I did a simulation of random boosters. With 100 boosters, I still lacked 50 rares, with 4 as the most of any single rare. With 250 boosters, I still had 14 cards I hadn't seen. I card I had 6 copies of. 500 boosters opened and I had all cards, but only one copy each of 6 different cards, and at most 11 copies of one card. I went up to simulate 2500 boosters and the card I got the least of I got 10 copies, where the one I got most of I had 33. On average one would expect 20-21 of each card on 2500 boosters.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]