For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Any suggestions for doing this? Imagine it is a pain with the rounded corners on the cards. Do I just suck it up and spend an afternoon with the scissors?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
That's what I do.

There's definitely an efficiency to be learned by doing it manually.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I used to round corners. But I eventually realized that, as long as the card it's sleeved with is also black-bordered, your corners are basically invisible and it makes zero difference.

Now I cut them out by putting 7-8 sheets at a time into the paper cutter and pulling the lever. If I were trying to be careful, and wanted to avoid ever accidentally cutting off something important? I'd only do 1-2 sheets at a time. But I'd still use the paper cutter.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Kind of on topic, sort of: Can the pdf's be made to eliminate the gap between the cards when they are printed? That way we wouldn't have to make a trim cut on the sides of each card, we could just make a single cut between the cards and be done with it. That would be amazing time saver.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
I use a paper cutter for the edges and the long cuts in the middle... and then use scissors to for the short cuts between cards. I use the scissors and make one diagonal cut on the corners instead of a round one.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:That's what I do.

There's definitely an efficiency to be learned by doing it manually.
Yeah I don’t even like using anything but scissors now that I’ve got the hang of cutting out hand made artisanal virtual cards.
 -  
Community Contributor
Jono wrote:I use a paper cutter for the edges and the long cuts in the middle... and then use scissors to for the short cuts between cards. I use the scissors and make one diagonal cut on the corners instead of a round one.
We call this "the Galactica cut."
Kind of on topic, sort of: Can the pdf's be made to eliminate the gap between the cards when they are printed? That way we wouldn't have to make a trim cut on the sides of each card, we could just make a single cut between the cards and be done with it. That would be amazing time saver.
Mayyyyyybe. FPDF is a fussy thing.

But here's a concern: how would you be able to tell where one card ends and the next begins? It'd just be black bleed, all the way across.

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I do the following, based on my preference of time spent vs output quality:

1) Cut along long side with scalpel + metal ruler (6 cuts)
2) Cut each card short side with a paper cutter (6 cuts)
3) Paint each side with a black marker (8 quick swipes, inside to out, rotate card in hand)

I use self-adhesive (removable) sticker paper, printed on normal ink-jet at home. Even with the slightly thicker paper (compared to thinnest normal paper), one does not really notice the corners when sides are painted black.

Regarding the two-step cutting process, I've just found this way to be the fastest for me personally; the ruler + scalpel is for me quicker to align along long lines than a cutter. For the shorter cuts exact alignment is less of an issue => paper cutter is quicker. But I think this is quite subjective. The black sides also make the alignment less important, the edge is not easily visible anyway when in a sleeve, but looks nicest when aligned with the border of course.

Edit:
Sticker paper: rotational misalignment disturbs me too much to just double sleeve.
Removable sticker paper: The supply of backing cards are after all an enable resource... and Errata do happen regularly.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Jono wrote:I use a paper cutter for the edges and the long cuts in the middle... and then use scissors to for the short cuts between cards. I use the scissors and make one diagonal cut on the corners instead of a round one.
We call this "the Galactica cut."
Mayyyyyybe. FPDF is a fussy thing.

But here's a concern: how would you be able to tell where one card ends and the next begins? It'd just be black bleed, all the way across.
Right down the middle between the cards. If you can cut a straight line, it's easy.
 -  
Community Contributor
T-Ricks wrote: Right down the middle between the cards. If you can cut a straight line, it's easy.
If this sounds easy to you, it's possible you did a lot better in kindergarten than I did.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BCSWowbagger wrote:
T-Ricks wrote: Right down the middle between the cards. If you can cut a straight line, it's easy.
If this sounds easy to you, it's possible you did a lot better in kindergarten than I did.
The key phrase is "If you can cut a straight line".
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:
The key phrase is "If you can cut a straight line".
A wire paper cutter does a great job for this. Making a single cut between the cards would be pretty quick if you use one. I can't get mine to do a very thin trim cut though.

I use something like the one in the link below:
https://www.jcpenney.com/p/fiskars-9-by ... f48c4e9aab
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]