For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
About this, very much has been written already. I'm afraid that if you go to wikipedia, you'll find everything that I could think of (below). But still, you ask us and not wiki, so I'll answer from heart.

I think "the Trek factor" is a mish-mash of various elements. I compare these elements to other franchises, which I may or may not like or love, to emphasise what I mean by them. Some of the elements, IMO, compare positive to their examples, others negative; but my preferences are outside of the scope of this answer. (I.e., this is a list of perceived characteristics, not opinions.)

Numbered for easy reference; not listed in any specific order.
  1. Character-driven stories. (Like SW. Compare SG-1.)
  2. Action is not ephasized and not even necessary in many episodes. Thus, we don't expect it, and can be satisfied without it. (Compare SG-1, SW.) (And then I was mucho surprised-o when all Firecaves broke loose in DS9.)
  3. Positive outlook, the Roddenberry Influence. (Compare new BSG.)
  4. Broad scope of its universe as well as subject matter. (Compare old BSG.)
  5. Ethical, moral, social dilemmas and discussion of contemporarily relevant issues.
  6. Politics are straightforward and understandable, archetypical; the political map is important, but easy to grasp. (Compare GOT.)
  7. A miltary surface, but subsurface a much more emphasized sense of exploration, pioneering, endeavour, enterprise, community-building. (Compare Bab5 which is, arguably, vice versa.)
  8. Show- / planet- / story- / character-of-the-week. (Compare Bab5, new BSG; of course became better with VOY and DS9, but still, Trek's episodes have always been much more episodic than they are continuous.)
  9. Quite stable character base. (Compare red shirts vs. other colours; and new BSG. And, OK, I'll name the blatantly obvious GOT as well.)
  10. A specific, family-friendly, innocent kind of humour (which brings a relaxing light-heartedness). (Compare GOT.)
  11. A specific, family-friendly, innocent kind of format, overall (which limits originality/surprise and shapes expectations). (Compare GOT, new BSG, Bab5 to a certain extent.)
Let me know if I should explain abbrev's.

On a side note: From this list, it is quite easy to point out where, from my perspective, the JJA Reboot films digress too much from the Trek factor. And progressively so, because each film is lacking in more of these areas.

I am very curious how Discovery will rate on this scale. But please, don't discuss that here -- I haven't seen anything from it, yet -- I'm trying to save it until it's finished and I can BINGE IT. (I did that with DS9, and that was a very worthwhile experience. It was worth the wait for me.)

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]