For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:
Yes decipher had starter decks but they were not playable out of the box. They even tried to make starter decks 2 boxes.
All they did was add 6 cards to make the deck somewhat playable.
So that is what I was saying about there starter decks.

All I know about decipher is they did too much and were trying all kind of things. They released 5 sets in 2000. They cleaned up the game in 2e in alot of ways. Sadly 2e lost the flavor and it basically a copy of magic in alot of ways. I personally think they should of never made incidents or objectives. Just keep it all events
I think that was the only option then? I know the printing technology has come a long way since the 90s.
Go back to that time period. I bet you you could play a magic starter deck. A overpower deck, etc. I bought a starter deck 1 box. It was literally 60 random cards.

Anyway this topic was about playmats

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Go back to that time period. I bet you you could play a magic starter deck. A overpower deck, etc. I bought a starter deck 1 box. It was literally 60 random cards.
Magic starters at the time were also just 60 random cards. If you want to play with them, you need to add a couple boosters and a bunch of lands. That's basically what Decipher was trying to do with the SD2s, except instead of making TDs supply extra land cards, they included the missions and outpost (basically, the Trek equivalent) to try to make it vaguely playable. Not good, mind you. But technically a playable deck.

By the time they got to DS9, the starters were much more playable. Still semi-randomized, but in a manner that meant you would only get 1-2 affiliations (and the treaty if required), a custom set of missions, and enough people to solve them.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Trust me if decipher knew about it. They would of made mats.
Yeah, I don't recall playmats being much of a thing in the Decipher era, or they probably would have made them. I don't really remember being exposed much to them until I went to GenCon in '14; they probably predate that a fair bit, but since Decipher stopped Trekking in 2007, I really don't think there was much of a playmat craze for them to capitalize on.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
*gets out old man walking cane*

back in the day, early-ish days of 2E, yes, 2E playmats existed with locations for Brig, draw deck, discard pile, dilemma pile, missions

I believe FOUR were ever made and since they were not official, those were the only four ever made

I bought two of them and then when I stopped playing I either gave them away or sold them for cheap to some player in the Chicago area

Whether they still exist *shrug*

If only I had taken pictures so I could attach (did not have a phone with camera at the time)

The only game-specific mats I use now are for Century Spice Road and Century Eastern Wonders... the others are semi-generic backgrounds... good for making dice quiet and cards slide easily :)

*goes back to telling kids to get off the lawn*

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
I wish I could get my hands on a Star Trek playmat. I have got several Star Wars related stuff if anyone is interested in exchanging them. :wink: Or I would be willing to buy one.
Vlad

By Dunnagh (Andreas Micheel)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Contender
Discovery suxs wrote:
Iron Prime wrote:Are you asking for Decipher ones or Continue Committee ones? CC mats have been covered above.

There are no Decipher mats because playmats became a thing after Decipher folded.

Either way you'll be hard pressed to find any unless you start making your way to tournaments - or maybe get lucky in a raffle.
Trust me if decipher knew about it. They would of made mats. One reason decipher went under was because of business practices. First set being terribly random is one thing. You could say ok it's the first set. You can't use the same excuse for q and au set to me. They didn't figure out starter decks until Tribbles. They made so many weird sets just to make money. It was clear they didn't care about the game like wizards of the coast. It is one reason why trekcc is so great. Trekcc helped to fix the flaws and holes left by decipher.
Its more difficult for a game like STCCG to have a base set + 3 expansions like Magic does. The base game on its own works well (with the exception to some broken cards but Magic has power 9...) - even more so with AU and Q. It was incredibly slow though, so the changes made in FC were very much needed.

After that it got a bit random. DS9 here, Ferengi there, Battle here, Mirror there. And Power Creep. And Rules creep.
They would have needed more base sets that you could just buy and play. Updated play sets that give you everything you need to use all the cards you get in the boosters.

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]

The deck qualifies, but the tournament currently[…]

Yes your 5-three cost and 1-five cost were r[…]

This is true, though in 2e there are very few[…]