For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 584 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:Data looks like someone wearing a rubber mask.
It probably is - or at least the CGI version of it. Brent hasn't looked like Data for years, and CBS isn't gonna pay movie money for the digital replacement.
Also I thought I saw Nechayev for a second. It seems like I’m wrong, so now I’m mad that Picard is arguing with a white/platinum blond-haired Admiral who’s not Nechayev :(
Now that you say that, I do wonder why they didn't get Natalija Nogulich - I'd assumed she had retired, but she's still active in film/TV (although I see she's also writing books, so it may be she didn't want to return - not everyone who does Trek signs on to the lifetime plan, after all.)

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
bhosp wrote:Data looks like someone wearing a rubber mask.
It probably is - or at least the CGI version of it. Brent hasn't looked like Data for years, and CBS isn't gonna pay movie money for the digital replacement.
Also I thought I saw Nechayev for a second. It seems like I’m wrong, so now I’m mad that Picard is arguing with a white/platinum blond-haired Admiral who’s not Nechayev :(
Now that you say that, I do wonder why they didn't get Natalija Nogulich - I'd assumed she had retired, but she's still active in film/TV (although I see she's also writing books, so it may be she didn't want to return - not everyone who does Trek signs on to the lifetime plan, after all.)
I thought she was just recently at STLV, which would mean she hasn’t gone Full Avery Brooks at least.

When I say I’m “mad” I don’t mean it in the toxic entitled nerd sense like “why didn’t they make six more seasons of Game of Thrones, not like any of these people have anything better to do”, I just mean “it’s a shame that either they didn’t think of it or it didn’t work out, so :( “. It’s the same way I feel every time I see Admiral Ross on DS9 instead of Nechayev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
monty42 wrote:Well... it's a great Star Wars trailer...
Um what? Best bit of the trailer was seeing Riker with his hand around Picard talking*... yes, there's some action in the trailer, but it's a trailer, but when the best parts are all non-action it's a bit unfair to call it a Star Wars trailer.

*Actually the best bit was hearing Riker shout at his child, and I expect he was realising he'd left it too long to have children, and he's too old.

We've seen Data, Riker, Troi - what are the odds of Beverly, Geordi, Worf, or Wesley turning up?

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The NYCC trailer was mostly nostalgia and, I don't want to say fan service because connecting with his crew is totally a fair development in the narrative, but was certainly for the fans.

That shot with Data painting outside, and Picard in uniform, must be the only in-uniform scene that Stewart was referring to being about to film around SDCC. He said it was a flashback of sorts and worth breaking his initial rule of no uniform. Felt a little dreamy. Kind of like the painting imagery used in "Birthright."

I'm 100% fine with Brent Spiner wearing mask and make-up like that. He's older, it works, definitely the best of the options. (Better than CGI age-enhance, all CGI, other actor, or not having him.)

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm super stoked and this is coming from someone whose had no love for Discovery.

All the feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllssss!!!

~D

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Tim wrote:I'm 100% fine with Brent Spiner wearing mask and make-up like that. He's older, it works, definitely the best of the options. (Better than CGI age-enhance, all CGI, other actor, or not having him.)
+1. :thumbsup:
 -  
Community Contributor
So, got to try out VR last week, and I suspect whoever designed the new "wave your hands virtual" controls never did, because yeah, I TOTALLY want to do something mission-critical like fly a starship using controls I can't touch... :shifty:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:So, got to try out VR last week, and I suspect whoever designed the new "wave your hands virtual" controls never did, because yeah, I TOTALLY want to do something mission-critical like fly a starship using controls I can't touch... :shifty:
Probably, a very good point.

However, for the sake of progress: if it were possible to calibrate the emitters to keep a stable frame of reference relative to a single spot on the body -- say, the wrist -- then no matter where the hand/arm flies off to, the controls will still be at the same relative distance and angle from the fingertips... It would have to be high speed corrected, of course; but I think that such speed is the least of the problems involved.
(And actually, there already seem to be some quite fine and intelligent algorithms behind how a smartphone interprets the fingertip pressure on the screen. In a few hundred years, the same could be true for placement feedback on holographic control emitters.)
But you're right -- in a critical and volatile situation, it's probably awkward that you can't feel the buttons. You'd have to get used to it, a lot, to trust it.
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: However, for the sake of progress: if it were possible to calibrate the emitters to keep a stable frame of reference relative to a single spot on the body -- say, the wrist -- then no matter where the hand/arm flies off to, the controls will still be at the same relative distance and angle from the fingertips... It would have to be high speed corrected, of course; but I think that such speed is the least of the problems involved.
Which is great until the user wants to access a different set of controls. (Say, a PADD they were handed).

But that's the Federation for you - inventing fancy new interfaces instead of, y'know, fuses. :)
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
IDW has created a miniseries prequel called Countdown to Picard Written by famed Trek Comic writer Mike Johnson along with series Co-Creator Kristen Beyer, this first issue answers a lot of questions you may have about what happened in the interim, including one of the new main characters. Though not required to watch the series, it is worth checking out.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Though not required to watch the series, it is worth checking out.
Well, I found Countdown (to The Future Begins/2009) actually retrospectively improving that movie a lot, for fleshing out the bad guy and thus the plot (which the film could use).
If I get the chance, I'll be sure to read this new Countdown prior to the series. But I can only hope that Picard does stand more on its own, because comics are a medium that I personally don't think is well suited to represent Trek.
(Conversely, I love Star Wars comics, but instead some of the other media in that franchise are not my cuppa tea.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would have done that. ST PIC is going to restore my Faith In The Franchises. It will, as such, be awesome -- no doubt about it. There is no alternative.

So, I'll gladly renew it myself -- personally! -- for a 3rd season, if need be. Just tell me who to turn to.

#nopressure.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Oh boy...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
There was an interview with Sir Patrick on Weekend Edition today. Enjoy!
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]