For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 584 posts
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Sir Patrick talking to Whoopi Goldberg on The View today.
I don't know how anyone can watch this and not smile.

A good reminder that the world can be awesome.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
jjh wrote:
Actually it made me very very sad. The last thing she said was that Guinan might've been the last character Gene created. And it makes sense to me because the character of Guinan has kindness, wisdom, empathy and still an awesome attitude to her. All of which are things that the impotent writers of today are unable to fathom which will surely make a nowadays version of Guinan just as shallow an empty as nowadays Picard will be.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
monty42 wrote:
jjh wrote:
Actually it made me very very sad. The last thing she said was that Guinan might've been the last character Gene created. And it makes sense to me because the character of Guinan has kindness, wisdom, empathy and still an awesome attitude to her. All of which are things that the impotent writers of today are unable to fathom which will surely make a nowadays version of Guinan just as shallow an empty as nowadays Picard will be.
Okay.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Guinan coming back is certainly exciting. Always liked her character and Whoopi. She's a very unique woman. Not sure why there would be anything sad about this but that's not a surprise.

I think they have to be careful though. Its all good and well to being back known characters but dont gild the lily too much. Otherwise, you end up having ST:TNG Redux. Which is fine .. but just call it that.

Im glad they have already brought in new characters and are mixing in older ones. Just keep a balance is all.

Super exciter about the show overall.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Se7enofMine wrote:Not sure why there would be anything sad about this but that's not a surprise.
The sad thing is that fanboys are willing to cheer for just about anything even before they know whether it's any good.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
Se7enofMine wrote:Not sure why there would be anything sad about this but that's not a surprise.
The sad thing is that fanboys are willing to cheer for just about anything even before they know whether it's any good.

Its amazing how regularly you are incorrect.

Im excited to see what the show offers. If its good, I'll be happy. If its not, i wont watch. Same attitude i took with Discovery. I watched Season 1 and stopped cause i didnt like it. Same as Enterprise (only watched the series last year - still didnt really like it).

If giving a show the benefit of the doubt until it starts is being a fanboy .. guilty, I guess? I'll be excited about something instead of poo-poo'ing it without even giving it a chance.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Se7enofMine wrote:
monty42 wrote:

Its amazing how regularly you are incorrect.
Well if that's all it takes you clearly seem to be a person who's quite easily amazed (given the magnitude of that word)
Most likely that's why you're so excited about a show you know nothing about.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote: Well if that's all it takes you clearly seem to be a person who's quite easily amazed (given the magnitude of that word)
Most likely that's why you're so excited about a show you know nothing about.
Yes dear.

By Corbinq27
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
The Picard pilot was good. The action propelled the plot. The arc is interesting. Morals and meaning are present. The fan service was tasteful and propelled the plot. Yes it was a bit fast paced but that serves the general audience well. Most importantly:
LCARS is BACK!

But is it Star Trek? I think time will tell...

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Is it Star Trek?

Its always Star Trek if they say it is. After all its their property and they can do with it what they want.

Even if it isnt what I personally would expect or like.

Star Trek changes over the years, exactly as the world does. Lets see if we like it.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
*checks to see where it's streaming*

US, CBS.. ok... UK and Aus, Amazon Prime - hey, I've got that...

Canada.. Crave. *headdesk*

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
star trek is back.

its the best of the tng ds9 era but with modern sensibilities and storytelling suited for our golden age of tv. and not in the jj abrams / discovery kind of way.

picard is a humanitarian above all and the show stresses that. i loved it. they havent forgotten who picard was or what really made him great.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Well, I watched it and ... I'm torn. There was definitely good and bad. Spoilers, I hope, are hidden (if I did the tag right)

The good:

- the story is pretty cool. The whole synthetic idea is pretty interesting and kinda-sorta mirrors the cloning issue of today. Ending it the episode with a Borg Cube being used by Romulans is also a nice twist.

- I thought the pacing was good. I don't feel as though it dragged in any spot.

- the small appearances of Data were nice. As I mentioned in another post, I'm all for bringing back existing characters so long as it doesn't become a greatest hits album.

The bad:

- the dog named Number One was a bit on the nose. I mean .. really? That was cringey.

- I wasn't particularly fond of a woman getting beat up and four deaths in the first 5 minutes.

Look, I'm certainly not a purist. I don't think Star Trek HAS to be EXACTLY what Roddenberry wanted it to be. It can deviate. As good as the OS stuff is, I certainly don't want to go back to that. It's slow and prodding. So I am ok with them modernizing the show to fit the current reality. But I think the pendulum is swinging the other way. Trek has always had action but this seems to be over the top.

I was watching something a little while ago and it had a movie Director on it and he basically said that, in a script, there has to be an action beat every 10 pages. This action beat can be anything .. action is not defined (in this scenario) as gun-gun-pew-pew. The action beat could be a tree falling OR a character getting a piece of good/bad news. Whatever suits that story. I feel that, in the case of Picard, it will end up being pew-pew a little more often than it needs to be.

In any event, not a bad first ep. Curious to see where it goes.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sir Patrick Steward is a big dog lover. That breed is banned in the U.K. and he personally requested Picard should have a dog and it should be that breed. Kind of interesting how he can influence the written story and change it with a little personal touch.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]