For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I follow this YouTube channel called LegalEagle that mainly has a real lawyer reacting to courtroom scenes in TV shows or movies, as well as related issues (like how much jail time and OSHA fines should Willy Wonka be liable for, are the Sokovia Accords legal and what kind of prison sentence Batman would be facing based on his actions in the Dark Knight movies).

He just released a video based on "Measure of a Man", the TNG episode with the court case on whether or not Data was sentient and I thought people here might be interested.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This popped up in my suggested videos this morning. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. What is the "TL;DR"?

thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'd say the strongest points he raises are thus:

1. The question of whether or not Data deserves to be treated as a person as opposed to property really should have been answered when he attended Starfleet Academy.

2. Riker being forced to prosecute despite his beliefs otherwise is silly and results in him, as he even stated in the episode, not being qualified to prosecute as he isn't a "zealous advocate" for his side.

3. He likes how Picard's response to some of Riker's strongest points are to admit they are indisputably true, but argue that they're also irrelevant.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks!
Boffo97 wrote:
I'd say the strongest points he raises are thus:
1. The question of whether or not Data deserves to be treated as a person as opposed to property really should have been answered when he attended Starfleet Academy.
2. Riker being forced to prosecute despite his beliefs otherwise is silly and results in him, as he even stated in the episode, not being qualified to prosecute as he isn't a "zealous advocate" for his side.

3. He likes how Picard's response to some of Riker's strongest points are to admit they are indisputably true, but argue that they're also irrelevant.
This always bugged me....
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: 1. The question of whether or not Data deserves to be treated as a person as opposed to property really should have been answered when he attended Starfleet Academy.
According to Memory Alpha they do mention that there was a special admissions panel to determine whether Data could join Starfleet Academy (and that Maddox was the sole opposition).

Which makes the conceit of the episode just a bit weird, although it fits with Insurrection (in that Starfleet in practice is not nearly as noble as Starfleet in theory)

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]