For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:00 pm (Content warning: 3D Printing Nerdery Ahead.)
Armus wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:05 pm Is that 3d printed?! :shock:
Yup. We got a printer for the family gift at Christmas, and last month finally got tired of manually leveling the dang thing and bought the auto-leveler.

(If one is looking to get a printer - and they are rather cool! - save yourself a pile of work, stress, and frustration and get one that has an auto-leveler. Doing it manually SUCKS.)
How much would it cost to make these?
Let's see...
(caveats - napkin math, all prices CAD, YMMV, etc and so forth)

We picked up a starter kit of filaments, which was $124 for 4.5kg of filament (9 colors x 500g each, specifically). No shipping, because we were down in Calgary anyway so just picked it up.

That works out to $0.027555... per gram so let's round up to 2.8 cents per gram.

Cura says the caddy (bottom half) is 103g of filament, and the top cover is 62g.

So, 165g of filament works out to $4.62. (And about a day's worth of printer time.)

Now, it's also a decent bit sturdier than my reference box (the top is 2.5mm thick vs 1.5 on the cardboard, the base is thicker so the top actually stops and can't squish the cards), it has the nice dividers... I could probably get a thinner one that is cheaper. But then it doesn't have the swag factor. ;)
You don't happen to have and be willing to share the file for that box would you? I have access to a 3D printer at work and wouldn't mind experimenting a little bit.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:58 pm You don't happen to have and be willing to share the file for that box would you? I have access to a 3D printer at work and wouldn't mind experimenting a little bit.
The files are a bit upthread. :)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation