For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i just noticed we can print our own OTSD boxes. Can you buy the boxes somewhere? Blank boxes I mean.... not actual OTSD boxes.

The lids on those OTSD boxes don't go quite all the way down so the lid is a bit smaller than the base..........
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I've put the covers over my old, worn STCCG OTSD boxes. If you find any old SWCCG OTSD boxes, those would work as well since IIRC they are the same size.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Or, maybe, TLOTR TCG boxes? I could find this out for a fact if you really want to know; a friend has both.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:i just noticed we can print our own OTSD boxes. Can you buy the boxes somewhere? Blank boxes I mean.... not actual OTSD boxes.
My understanding is that folks (including myself) have been on the lookout for blank boxes in that size, but no-one has managed to find one yet. (Or possibly have found one but no-one wants to pay the cost of getting a bespoke OTSD ;) )
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote:
Takket wrote:i just noticed we can print our own OTSD boxes. Can you buy the boxes somewhere? Blank boxes I mean.... not actual OTSD boxes.
My understanding is that folks (including myself) have been on the lookout for blank boxes in that size, but no-one has managed to find one yet. (Or possibly have found one but no-one wants to pay the cost of getting a bespoke OTSD ;) )
Basically... I can get you 500 of them for $2,000.00 if you want them bad enough. Well, very close approximations, anyway.
 -  
Community Contributor
For your viewing pleasure: my first attempt at a printed OTSD-style box:
otsd1.jpg
otsd1.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
otsd2.jpg
otsd2.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
otsd3.jpg
otsd3.jpg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
The dividers are spaced to give you areas for your missions, seed deck, Q's Tent, and "everything else". It's a touch taller than a standard OTSD box, but that's just me being paranoid about not having enough room. (Attempt 1 was slightly too narrow so it holds unsleeved but not sleeved cards; then I left the tolerances on the top part too narrow so it doesn't want to fit... so this attempt is me being "roomy")

Files for folks who know what to do with them (it's based on something I found in Thingiverse and then tweaked to be an OTSD instead of a box for Magic or Star Realms or whatever. (Please don't ask me for help - I barely understand how this works and 60% of the credit goes to D for making sure the printer even works properly ;) )

Bottom half
Top half
SCAD file (if you want to change the dividers/sizing)

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:50 pm For your viewing pleasure: my first attempt at a printed OTSD-style box:

otsd1.jpg
otsd2.jpg
otsd3.jpg

The dividers are spaced to give you areas for your missions, seed deck, Q's Tent, and "everything else". It's a touch taller than a standard OTSD box, but that's just me being paranoid about not having enough room. (Attempt 1 was slightly too narrow so it holds unsleeved but not sleeved cards; then I left the tolerances on the top part too narrow so it doesn't want to fit... so this attempt is me being "roomy")

Files for folks who know what to do with them (it's based on something I found in Thingiverse and then tweaked to be an OTSD instead of a box for Magic or Star Realms or whatever. (Please don't ask me for help - I barely understand how this works and 60% of the credit goes to D for making sure the printer even works properly ;) )

Bottom half
Top half
SCAD file (if you want to change the dividers/sizing)
This is amazing! I vote this get added to a sticky or to the Box Tops page!

-James M

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Is that 3d printed?! :shock:

How much would it cost to make these?

I see a lot of possibilities....
 -  
Community Contributor
(Content warning: 3D Printing Nerdery Ahead.)
Armus wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:05 pm Is that 3d printed?! :shock:
Yup. We got a printer for the family gift at Christmas, and last month finally got tired of manually leveling the dang thing and bought the auto-leveler.

(If one is looking to get a printer - and they are rather cool! - save yourself a pile of work, stress, and frustration and get one that has an auto-leveler. Doing it manually SUCKS.)
How much would it cost to make these?
Let's see...
(caveats - napkin math, all prices CAD, YMMV, etc and so forth)

We picked up a starter kit of filaments, which was $124 for 4.5kg of filament (9 colors x 500g each, specifically). No shipping, because we were down in Calgary anyway so just picked it up.

That works out to $0.027555... per gram so let's round up to 2.8 cents per gram.

Cura says the caddy (bottom half) is 103g of filament, and the top cover is 62g.

So, 165g of filament works out to $4.62. (And about a day's worth of printer time.)

Now, it's also a decent bit sturdier than my reference box (the top is 2.5mm thick vs 1.5 on the cardboard, the base is thicker so the top actually stops and can't squish the cards), it has the nice dividers... I could probably get a thinner one that is cheaper. But then it doesn't have the swag factor. ;)

By rabyte
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Very cool indeed. Did you print out the artwork on photo paper and just glue it to the plastic? I imagine it could be very hard and fiddly to make it look good?
Any recommendations for the paper and glue?
 -  
Community Contributor
rabyte wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:28 am Very cool indeed. Did you print out the artwork on photo paper and just glue it to the plastic? I imagine it could be very hard and fiddly to make it look good?
Oh, sorry - the blue box is the 3D print. The Borg box is an original OTSD box (which I used to measure dimensions and included in the pic for scale comparison.)

Future plans:

1. I have a couple OTSD tops where the bottoms are... "well-loved" (read: it's more tape than cardboard). So I think I'll try making a caddy that moves the lip all the way down to the bottom (so an original lid will sit properly on it). Replacement parts, as it were. If I get that working I will definitely post pics/files.

2. It should be possible to emboss a logo onto this, but it's a bit beyond my current know-how. If I figure that out, you'll probably have to wait a bit, because I'm likely to be sending a couple out as presents first and wouldn't want to over-ruin the surprise. :)

By rabyte
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:The Borg box is an original OTSD box
whoops, okay hehe. But I guess it is possible to glue something on.
AllenGould wrote: "well-loved"
I know exactly what you mean :shifty: . Great idea, replace the bottom with the improved version and keep the lid. Maybe also with some padding 8)
AllenGould wrote:It should be possible to emboss a logo onto this, but it's a bit beyond my current know-how.
Definitively! It's not too complicated, I could help you with that. However, I usually use Fusion360 (which is free for hobbyists). With openSCAD it is probably more challenging? I am guessing you will need the logo as a vector and can then extrude the volume out (substraction mode).

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
wow this is great! I don't have a 3D printer but my boss does, maybe I'll ask him to give it a try lol.

I was actually researching this a few months ago and there are plenty of places that will make custom sized boxes but as you can imagine a "one off" is very expensive. we'd have to purchase in bulk and share the costs over 1E to make it worthwhile, so the 3D printing seems much better and a plastic based box is going to have much more longevity anyway

Have you tried affixing OTSD boxtop to one? I assume a glue stick does the trick?
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:23 pm Have you tried affixing OTSD boxtop to one? I assume a glue stick does the trick?
I have, just to get a size sense. They fit, but because the ones I printed have stubbier lids, it sits high. If I printed the bottom with less of a lid, it should sit fine.

Haven't thought about glueing a print to one (yet).
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation