For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Abramsverse 4: The search for more money?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... rek-4/amp/

I sincerely hope not, but the very best I can feel about this is cautiously optimistic, and I'm not even sure I'm there.

When they figure out that Trek's appeal isn't in space shoot-em-ups (or in the case of the movies, not ONLY about space shoot-em-ups - gotta have SOME action) then they may be successful.

Here's hoping... :cross:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Armus wrote:Abramsverse 4: The search for more money?
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: for more Abramsverse, IMO.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I enjoy the Kelvin timeline movies for what they are. It's like... the turkey bacon of Star Trek. If you want bacon, and you get turkey bacon, you'll be really disappointed. But if you know you're getting turkey bacon, and you're in the mood for turkey bacon, it's really tasty.

-crp

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Im kinda with Charlie.

The movies have been ok. I didnt really like the 3rd one but to each their own. I liked the first two and watched them woth low expectations and they were decent.

I'll go into this 4th one the same and i expect it'll be ok.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Haha! That bacon's very well put, Lich.

I'm almost as lenient as you -- but not quite. I feel, like Armus seems to do, that they misunderstood -- or perhaps even misrepresented -- the soul of Trek. I find that a serious offense. There's millions of fans depending on storytellers' efforts, and a lot of money is spent in cinema -- so there's a bit of a responsibility that comes along with the prestige.

OTOH, I did like my turkey bacon -- at least for the first 2 movies (I'm with Se7en there). The trilogy gets progressively less "tasty" IMO, and Beyond fell severely under the bar for me. But The Future Begins (aka XI / 2009, whatchamafloatyerboat) had just about enough recognizable aspects of aforementioned soul, for me to enjoy the show
and ignore Nero's (and his boat's) implausible, gargantuan wickedness. I need the bad guy to either have clear and understandable motives, or be inhuman to epic proportions. Nero was neither. (The Countdown comic series, much later, did some work in the way of clearing up my questions about Nero's transformation into Sauron-like evil -- but that's character development / set-up which was not in the movie, and I think a movie [series] needs to stand for itself. At least concerning "one-shot" characters.)

I'm digressing -- Future Begins was nice and fun; Into Darkness was almost fun; and Beyond was... well, it had fun moments -- but more toe-curling ones, for me, regretfully.

Still, people...:

The Trek reboots are INFINITELY better than the new Wars sequels (Ep. VII & IX). :x I can't say anything positive at all about those, for my disdain for the stories and the betrayal I feel at the hands of whoever-all's behind their script writing and approval. :(

Conclusion: I have more hopes for Trek XIV than for Ep.IX -- and that's not saying too much. :roll:
:twocents:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: OTOH, I did like my turkey bacon -- at least for the first 2 movies (I'm with Se7en there). The trilogy gets progressively less "tasty" IMO, and Beyond fell severely under the bar for me.
See I don't understand this position. Obviously there's no accounting for taste - be it movies or bacon - but I found Beyond to be the best of the three Abramsverse offerings. Maybe the onscreen Nimoy Farewell that had me misty-eyed covers up a lot of the bad, but I remember enjoying most of the movie aside from that.
SudenKapala wrote: I'm digressing -- Future Begins was nice and fun; Into Darkness was almost fun; and Beyond was... well, it had fun moments -- but more toe-curling ones, for me, regretfully.
Wow, maybe this is a language/ culture thing, but where I'm from, toe-curling moments are a good thing, though I generally don't discuss my toe-curling moments in a public forum, so I'll spare everybody the details... :shifty:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Beyond is also my favorite of the three, followed by 2009, with Into Darkness coming in a distant 3rd.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Maybe I'm just the crazy one, because I rank the Abramsverse trilogy just like many trilogies end up rated.

The second one (Into Darkness) is best, followed closely by the first (2009) with the third (Beyond) distantly trailing.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
jadziadax8 wrote::thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: for more Abramsverse, IMO.
+1

People who understand Gene's vision when he created Star Trek decades ago need to be the ones who continue carrying that vision forward now and into the future. It is painfully obvious to me that nobody who has produced anything Star Trek related for the big or small screen in the 2010's has any clue what his vision was. :twocents:

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think Paramount is waiting to see how well JJ's SW Ep9 does. If it makes billions and all the SW fans that hated Ep8 praise Ep9, he'll get his IV movie.

~D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
For my second "Maybe I'm crazy" statement, it'd be really awkward to have a 4th Abramsverse movie after the death of Anton Yelchin. Sure, they can say Chekov was reassigned, or list him as being killed, but he was really good in the movies and it'd be weird to go on without him at this point.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I hope they move on. We now have three versions of the TOS crew (four if you count Animated), and I'd much rather see Trek move on rather than constantly mine the past.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:I hope they move on. We now have three versions of the TOS crew (four if you count Animated), and I'd much rather see Trek move on rather than constantly mine the past.
But this! THIS! :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And also -- I agree fully. 8)

BTW, I think Allen really has a point here... :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:For my second "Maybe I'm crazy" statement, it'd be really awkward to have a 4th Abramsverse movie after the death of Anton Yelchin. Sure, they can say Chekov was reassigned, or list him as being killed, but he was really good in the movies and it'd be weird to go on without him at this point.
We already have that: it's called TOS Season 1.

Seems ok to me. :wink:
I hope they move on. We now have three versions of the TOS crew (four if you count Animated), and I'd much rather see Trek move on rather than constantly mine the past.
They won't, but I can't say your sentiment is wrong.

Why has the post-Voyager era been left unexplored? Even the first step in that direction - Picard - is anchored in existing stuff.

TNG was a risk that spawned the Golden Age of Trek in the 1990s. That's the potential that new ideas have if they're actually allowed to grow and develop. Too bad that doesn't appear to be how things work these days...

:?

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm really not sure what to think about the Kelvin Timeline any more...

On the one hand they are OK popcorn flicks - and I LOVE Charlie's Turkey Bacon analogy.
But on the other hand they just aren't Star Trek, more like Star Wars lite with more [SD] Diplomacy.

If Picard is good I almost hope they don't make a fourth Kelvin movie - which is sadly ironic since if Picard does well they will almost certainly push hard on a Kelvin IV.... *shrug*

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.