For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
And not just any STCCG card, a CC-made one at that.

The CC might be completely uninvolved in the matter but it does make me wonder if there might not be some wisdom in asking Amazon Video to change it to avoid even potential legal issues with CBS/Paramount.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote:And not just any STCCG card, a CC-made one at that.

The CC might be completely uninvolved in the matter but it does make me wonder if there might not be some wisdom in asking Amazon Video to change it to avoid even potential legal issues with CBS/Paramount.
Did a bit of sniffing, and that's the image on Leo's IMDB page. So I bet that's where Amazon is scraping it from, and where it'd need to be changed.
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:I mean, no one's making money off it, I say we should be happy that he liked it enough to make it his imdb image.
Do the actors pick their images, or is it a crowd-source thing? (I know nuttin' about how IMDB works on the back end.)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Through the many years I used IMDB, I got the educated-but-uncorroborated impression that actors can set, or at least change, their own images.
(However, I stopped using IMDB for most intents and purposes when it turned out that Wikipedia helps me much further 99% of the time.)
Funny story! Good catch!

And -- don't we have a contact at CBS, whom we can ask something like this? Instead of guessing whether they would disapprove or not?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:And -- don't we have a contact at CBS, whom we can ask something like this? Instead of guessing whether they would disapprove or not?
Because of how US copyright law works, as I understand it, CBS can't officially acknowledge the existence of the CC. If they did, they'd have to send the CC a C&D or lose the rights to Trek.
 -  
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote:
SudenKapala wrote:And -- don't we have a contact at CBS, whom we can ask something like this? Instead of guessing whether they would disapprove or not?
Because of how US copyright law works, as I understand it, CBS can't officially acknowledge the existence of the CC. If they did, they'd have to send the CC a C&D or lose the rights to Trek.
And, it's kind of a "not our business". I'd assume the actor (or their agent) will get it changed when they notice it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:
Huh -- interesting! But, lose the rights to whom? Is there any party who holds more senior rights than CBS? :?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
Huh -- interesting! But, lose the rights to whom? Is there any party who holds more senior rights than CBS? :?
In US law, if a party doesn't actively enforce their IP, they can lose it to a different party who is using it. Sort of a "squatter's rights" type thing.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
SudenKapala wrote:I've heard about "squatters' rights". Totally dumb. :x At least, I cannot fathom any positive use for that.
It would mean Axanar could finally be released... :shifty:
 -  
Community Contributor
What'll be extra fun is when the copyrights start expiring, and we get into the weird Wizard of Oz grey area. (For the non-nerds: the *book* Wizard of Oz is in the public domain, but the *film* isn't. So while you can technically make a new Oz movie, if what you do looks like the movie you can still get sued. It's weird.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
RECTIFICATION;
SudenKapala wrote:I've heard about "squatters' rights". Totally dumb. :x At least, I cannot fathom any positive use for that.
(Somebody was so kind as to point out the background of your 'squatters rights'. It differs substantially from our version here; seems to be a good thing over the pond, while having some bad aspects here. Luckily, most laws work out better.
But in spirit, I can get behind the concept.)

Thanks for explaining the other stuff. :thumbsup: But... too complicated, and having to many repercussions, for me to be able to form a satisfying opinion on.
Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]