For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
Fanboy stuff aside, I think it's how the brain works. If I told you "A camel taking a dump" you're thinking about it wanting or not. It work so much more with people who's opinion is important to you, smart people who I think you belong to. And one negative review is ok, but the amount of hatered coming from you is just... well troubling.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Cersan wrote:...the amount of hatered coming from you is just... well troubling.
What exactly troubles you about it?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
SudenKapala wrote: Trek didn't need this much updating to the current times. Or perhaps there was not, as has been said, a great need for a new Trek series; perhaps what the world is today, can't actually produce a satisfying Trek product. I don't know. (Writers and producers, if you read this, consider it a challenge. Please prove me wrong.)
I disagree with this.

Two seasons of The Orville demonstrated that high quality sci-fi with good storytelling is indeed possible today. Seth MacFarlane probably shares a lot of our collective views of 1990s-era Trek and he created a show that fits very well into the Trek paradigm of social commentary through futuristic allegory. I found it quite refreshing.

So it IS possible. Whether or not it will realistically happen is a totally different question.
I have not seen Orville yet, but have heard good things. OTOH -- call me a purist -- it is not actual Trek, i.e. with the history / background / characters / universe that I love. I also heard it has a considerably larger humorous (non-serious) component, which is something I am not looking for in a Trek series. So, I'm curious but not in a hurry; and Orville does not fit my bill right now.

I hear you, though -- it seems it could/should have been done. Fair enough. Let me rephrase--
(Trek writers and Trek producers, if you read this, consider it a challenge. Please prove Armus right and show off that you can do equally good or better than Orville inside the Trek universe.)

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
monty42 wrote:If you care to challenge any of the points I made in my original post, please be my guest.
Why the fuck should I waste my time trying to convince you? Just go on complaining and moaning, I´ve got more important things to do. Like scratching my balls for example.
Well then, I wish you good fortune in your endeavour.
Keep your wishes to yourself buddy. You´ll need ´em.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Cersan wrote:Well, it was genuine question no tricks involved. You sure are sharing a lot of your though proccess
I have noticed the same thing -- Monty, you spill your guts, both positive and negative. But then, when a benevolent suggestion is made or people ask too many -- honestly interested -- questions, you react harshly along the vein of "it's my own business" or "that's your opinion, why should I care". Which can be seen to attempt to kill off a discussion that you willingly started or entered.
This is the second time that I think such a reaction is un-called for, in a short time-span.

We're smart too, you know. We (I, in any case) know -- and do not assail AT ALL -- that you have a right to self-determination. Some(?) of us are not egotistic, malevolent, rude, horrible people who want to boss you around (and I can't but assume you know it).

People who like to engage in meaningful discussion just naturally react to what you say about yourself and your opinions. See that as a compliment and recognition, not as an attack on your sovereign rights. (That was a friendly, well-meant suggestion -- not a misplaced attempt at "giving you an order".)
monty42 wrote:
Cersan wrote:...the amount of hatered coming from you is just... well troubling.
What exactly troubles you about it?
I'm taking the liberty of also answering that question.

Sometimes, what troubles me -- from any given source -- is negativity itself (a troubling which can have quasi-rational components -- dislike of mucking up the atmosphere here, e.g.; and/or semi-irrational ones -- e.g., I don't agree, or I find the manner crude, or I dislike the adversarial intent of such negativity). Or even other reasons.

In this specific case, Monty's negativity troubles me because I hate to agree (because I want to love PIC fully and unreservedly)... but, for important parts, I do agree.

And I continue watching -- if you want to know, Cersan -- because I want to have seen all Trek, and I also hope (trust, almost... nah) that if I can see things in their completed perspective, they'll make more sense. And I still hope, that I'll love it then.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: I have not seen Orville yet, but have heard good things. OTOH -- call me a purist -- it is not actual Trek, i.e. with the history / background / characters / universe that I love. I also heard it has a considerably larger humorous (non-serious) component, which is something I am not looking for in a Trek series. So, I'm curious but not in a hurry; and Orville does not fit my bill right now.

I hear you, though -- it seems it could/should have been done. Fair enough. Let me rephrase--
(Trek writers and Trek producers, if you read this, consider it a challenge. Please prove Armus right and show off that you can do equally good or better than Orville inside the Trek universe.)
I never said it was Star Trek. If the title banner and the specific characters matter more to you, then there's plenty of new Star Trek content for your viewing pleasure.

However, if you like the concept of allegorical storytelling and taking today's issues head on and showing a possible future where today's nonsense has faded into the background noise of history - the concept of something... better... for humanity than our current state of existence is capable of, the concept that made Star Trek part of the cultural zeitgeist that it became, then The Orville is the closest thing to that to come along this century... maybe even moreso than Enterprise - it's at least a debatable point.

And yeah, there's a nontrivial level of Family Guy-style humor, which may or may not be to your liking, but even if it isn't, they calibrated pretty well after the first few episodes, and sometimes it's also good to be able to point and laugh at ourselves on occasion too.

And that's my point: if it CAN be done with a sci-fi universe that ISN'T Trek, shouldn't it be almost easier to do it in the universe that set the bar to begin with?

One would think....

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
monty42 wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Why the fuck should I waste my time trying to convince you? Just go on complaining and moaning, I´ve got more important things to do. Like scratching my balls for example.
Well then, I wish you good fortune in your endeavour.
Keep your wishes to yourself buddy. You´ll need ´em.
I love you too, honey.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:I love you too, honey.
You got two hands. Love yourself as nobody else does.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
It seems to me that the whole "If you don't like it, don't look at it" argument could be applied to Monty's criticisms of the show as readily as it could be applied to the show itself.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Boffo97 wrote:It seems to me that the whole "If you don't like it, don't look at it" argument could be applied to Monty's criticisms of the show as readily as it could be applied to the show itself.
:thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
You're so sweet today, I'm almost blushing.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
Boffo97 wrote:It seems to me that the whole "If you don't like it, don't look at it" argument could be applied to Monty's criticisms of the show as readily as it could be applied to the show itself.
I guess it is fair. In the end this was the result - me muting Ben's notifications on facebook. Too much acid for my liking.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
Dont gay up on me Benni, I won´t please any of your secret desires.

Mod Edit [Boffo97]: User was warned for this post.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
monty42 wrote:
Nerdopolis Prime wrote: You got two hands. Love yourself as nobody else does.
Dont gay up on me Benni, I won´t please any of your secret desires.
You already did, Sugarbear.

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Is there any interest from the greater area to com[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]