For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Recommend various bits of Trek you like beyond the series and movies here for bored Trekkies.

I'll start by recommending "The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years" and its sequel "The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years: From The Next Generation to J. J. Abrams: The Complete, Uncensored, and Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek". Basically, the story of Star Trek from TOS to the Abrams movies told mostly through quotes. Really interesting.

And you can actually get it free.

How? If you're on Amazon and haven't already had an Audible trial in the last several months, you can sign up for a trial which gets you 2 books for free. You can use that to claim Audiobook versions of both of these and then immediately cancel the trial and still keep the books.

The 1st book clocks in at 23 hours, 16 minutes. The 2nd clocks in at 34 hours, 27 minutes. So that's a whole lot of Trek lore. Really about the only negative to the whole thing is that the guy reading Robert Beltran's quotes insists on pronouncing his character's name as "CHACK-uh-tay".
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Boffo97 wrote:Recommend various bits of Trek you like beyond the series and movies here for bored Trekkies.

I'll start by recommending "The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years" and its sequel "The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years: From The Next Generation to J. J. Abrams: The Complete, Uncensored, and Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek". Basically, the story of Star Trek from TOS to the Abrams movies told mostly through quotes. Really interesting.

And you can actually get it free.

How? If you're on Amazon and haven't already had an Audible trial in the last several months, you can sign up for a trial which gets you 2 books for free. You can use that to claim Audiobook versions of both of these and then immediately cancel the trial and still keep the books.

The 1st book clocks in at 23 hours, 16 minutes. The 2nd clocks in at 34 hours, 27 minutes. So that's a whole lot of Trek lore. Really about the only negative to the whole thing is that the guy reading Robert Beltran's quotes insists on pronouncing his character's name as "CHACK-uh-tay".
I've been looking for something to use my Audible credits for. Thank you, Dave.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Fade In: The Making of Star Trek Insurrection by Michael Piller is an absolute treasure, not just to Trekkies who want to understand how a movie gets made, but to literally everyone who has any interest in how movies get made. It's a criminally underknown book.

I do own the physical version, and it is much better than the PDF floating around out there, despite the too-high price and often shabby copyediting. There's so much of Michael Piller's script revisions in there that you just don't get in the pirated version.

Here it is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new

Here's the actual publisher, I do believe: https://www.michaelpiller.net/product-page/book

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The Guardian wrote:I've been looking for something to use my Audible credits for. Thank you, Dave.
Getting them that way works too. ;)

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I've been a fan of the Star Fleet Universe for a long time. It's an [OS] setting for the most part. I like that they have expanded lore on empires that we really only saw once in the shows, in particular their versions of the Gorn and Kzinti.

I'd say two of my favorite Trek novels were The Romulan Way and I, Q. The Romulan Way was a great look into the Romulan culture and lifestyle. Also there was a Horta Starfleet Officer in it and I had a giggle at that. I, Q is just a crazy ride and I ate it up as a kid.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh, I'm stupid, I forgot to self-promote!

Check out the audio series I help produce, Starship Excelsior, featuring several seasons of all-new Star Trek with an all-new crew beamed straight into your ears.

http://www.starshipexcelsior.com

The first couple seasons are rough, but that's true of TNG, too. I like the third and fourth seasons a lot. Current season is the fifth, and I'm too close to it right now to have a clear idea of whether it's good or not. But it's seemed good so far.

(Yes, the show's been running for 12 years but has only 5 seasons. Audio production is cheaper than film but still slow and painstaking.)

Couple series highlights:

* Season 3 completely reimagines the history of the Borg in light of Dexter Remmick, which is all I can reasonably say without spoilers, which leads to a truly marvelous threat for the crew to face down

* Season 4's finale, celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek, starred Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, Robin Curtis (Saavik), and Joanne Linville (Romulan Commander, "The Enterprise Incident"), all reprising their original roles. To my knowledge, it's the last-ever original Star Trek story featuring Original Series cast members. I tend to think it's a crackerjack sendoff for Chekov and Uhura as well, but I'm biased.

* Season 5 featured a sendup/homage to "Assignment: Earth" called "Assignment: Universe" which I thought was quite a bit of fun. (You can't just jump into Season 5, unfortunately. Gotta start with Season 3 or 4, latest.)

STCCG is actually my secondary hobby -- the hobby I pick up when I need a break from Excelsior. Join us!

(If you like Excelsior, you may also enjoy the other Star Trek fan audio dramas out there: Outpost, Endless Vigilance, and Chronicle. I think that's everyone who's currently active.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Thread necro!

Like most or all of us, I was a big fan of the various Trek Technical Manuals back in the day. Eaglemoss (the same people who sell ships despite not having them) decided we needed newer versions. I picked up the TOS version for about $20 off Amazon (cheaper than buying it direct and I actually received it) and it looks really nice so far. It's divided into sections based on The Cage, the ship as encountered on Discovery, TOS era, movie era original, and the NCC-1701-A. Full color and high quality paper.

About the closest thing I could find to a complaint is if you're one of those folks who doesn't care to acknowledge Discovery as canon Trek, you won't like text and pictures appearing based off of that, but you can skip those sections.

They also have TNG, DS9 and Voyager handbooks, and I'll likely be getting those as well. I'd get an Enterprise one if they had one, as well as a Lower Decks version (but I suppose it's far too early for that.)

I might also pick up their Star Trek Shipyards and Federation Members books down the road as well.

EDIT: Here's a review of the book if you want to see some of what you'd be getting.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation