For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Armus wrote:I pulled the trigger on this. Not sure I'll ever play it but it's for sure interesting.
Same. I play Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars RPG currently, and they are fantastic. I don't have time, inclination or a group to run a TREK RPG campaign, but I am still glad I picked up this deal.

Stoopid collector gamer brain in me!

If anyone does try this, please let me know how it goes, I am curious!

Honest

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Since the PDF looked interesting, I went ahead and used the half off a physical edition of the Core Rulebook coupon that came with the bundle.

It's going to take a while to get here though as it's coming from the UK.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I got the bundle. I used to watch the "Shield of Tomorrow" series on Geek and Sundry where a group played this game. It's worth supporting. I don't know that I'll ever find time or a group, but I really wanted to have the materials.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
One of the things I'm liking about this system is the notion of Supporting Characters, which allow players to remain part of the game even if their characters aren't in the action at the time by controlling quickly generated less important and less fleshed out characters.

I don't have a ton of experience in tabletop RPGs as a group but I do know nothing kills the experience more than the party being split and half the players being told to go amuse themselves for a while.

And, after all, if a group is playing in the TNG/DS9/Voy era, the poor Captain will be constantly told he needs to stay on the ship instead of going with the Away Team, so now he can be a security guy or something temporarily.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:One of the things I'm liking about this system is the notion of Supporting Characters, which allow players to remain part of the game even if their characters aren't in the action at the time by controlling quickly generated less important and less fleshed out characters.

I don't have a ton of experience in tabletop RPGs as a group but I do know nothing kills the experience more than the party being split and half the players being told to go amuse themselves for a while.

And, after all, if a group is playing in the TNG/DS9/Voy era, the poor Captain will be constantly told he needs to stay on the ship instead of going with the Away Team, so now he can be a security guy or something temporarily.
I found it funny, since "play multiple characters" is a pretty OG concept that went out of fashion somewhere along the way and now is coming back. (I think Planet Mercenary literally lets you swap to your NPCs as you die.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
So if you bought the tier of this bundle that included a coupon for half off a physical copy of the Core Rulebook, I unfortunately have a bit of a horror story for you... also applicable if you're thinking about using DHL in general.

I ordered one and it shipped from the UK on 8/18. According to tracking, it arrived in Van Nuys, California on 8/21 and didn't move. There was just a note saying that it was "scheduled for delivery as agreed". Originally, it noted that it was to be delivered 8/24. After that came and went, the note said "Delivery time not available."

On 8/26, I emailed DHL. I was apologized to and told it would be delivered that day. Nothing.

On 9/1 after no further activity on the tracking, I e-mailed DHL again. The person who responded said in the e-mail (so I have proof) that there was no activity since 8/21 so he was referring the matter to an investigator who would call me in 4 hours. That never happened.

Later that night, suddenly the tracking is showing that it was delivered just after noon on 8/26. It wasn't, unless the delivery person hid it really well or we suddenly developed a porch piracy issue which we've had no history of in this neighborhood. I was home and likely would have seen the delivery person, but if not, would have checked immediately after they supposedly delivered it.

On 9/4, I got another e-mail saying their GPS system supposedly confirmed it was delivered and if it was somehow lost or stolen, I should contact the shipper, but they will not follow up further on it.

I responded, first asking that the matter be escalated to this person's supervisor due to their unprofessional tone, and explaining how it's very improbable that it was actually delivered. I also contacted the people who shipped it, but I doubt they'd send me a new one. Maybe they can help me yell at DHL, including maybe threatening to use a better shipping company.

If I don't get a reply, I'm going to start calling next week.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I could try, but they may insist that their GPS saying that they were at my house when it was delivered constitutes proof of delivery.

At least that was the gist I was getting from the last e-mail I got.

EDIT: One of the terms and conditions of requesting proof of delivery online seems to be that I forfeit any right to bring any claim against DHL, so I'll look for another route. Calling them usually does get more attention than e-mail, particularly if they get that I'm not going away.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:I could try, but they may insist that their GPS saying that they were at my house when it was delivered constitutes proof of delivery.
Then they should be able to show you the GPS track to confirm. One possibility is that they hit the wrong house in the neighborhood. Had one a couple years ago where when they sent the photo "proof of delivery" it was the house across the street. (And for bonus points the wrong address was clearly visible in the picture. If I had been less honest I coulda got a second box!)

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:I could try, but they may insist that their GPS saying that they were at my house when it was delivered constitutes proof of delivery.

At least that was the gist I was getting from the last e-mail I got.

EDIT: One of the terms and conditions of requesting proof of delivery online seems to be that I forfeit any right to bring any claim against DHL, so I'll look for another route. Calling them usually does get more attention than e-mail, particularly if they get that I'm not going away.
That is completely shit.

Requesting a POD should not mean you forfeit any claiming rights, especially if, as Allen said, their POD shows they delivered it to the wrong joint.

Completely outrageous. Go get them

Honest

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
So happy ending kinda sorta.

Even though the makers of Star Trek Adventures RPG, Modiphius Entertainment, were not at fault here, they've offered to send me a replacement. I guess that even though I understand it's not their fault, they look bad if people order from them and never receive their product.

So to sum up:

DHL sucks. Don't use them if it's at all avoidable.
Modiphius rocks. Buy stuff from them.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I am glad you are getting your gear in the end. I hope the products give you enough enjoyment to make up for the shit it took to get them! (I am sure it will, there is a lifetime of fun in those books)

On the flip side, I am still pissed that DHL can just fob people off with no clear explanation. it is their fuck up, they should at least explain how it happened.

now you are getting replacements, it may be time to ask them for a POD, and find out what really happened to the original order

Good luck Brother

Honest

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The only one I ordered was the Core Rulebook, which also came in PDF form in the Humble Bundle (and if it hadn't, the company sends the PDF file ahead of the physical book). That was what the half off coupon in the bundle was for.

Maybe I'll order some stuff not included in the Bundle in the future just as thanks for being a great company. Unlike DHL.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote:So happy ending kinda sorta.

Even though the makers of Star Trek Adventures RPG, Modiphius Entertainment, were not at fault here, they've offered to send me a replacement. I guess that even though I understand it's not their fault, they look bad if people order from them and never receive their product.
It's entirely possible that Modiphius is chasing down the shipping at their end. After all, the shipping is in their name, so they have a bit more leverage in terms of "we're not paying the invoice until you find our box". :)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Hopefully, but given the tone of the e-mail and DHL's attitude, my guess is that this is likely far from the first time this has happened, and Modiphius just finds it easier to send replacements than deal with DHL.

Maybe DHL is just the cheapest option to send stuff from there to here even with the occasional headache like this.
Question for noob

Is there an easy way to get him to the alpha quadr[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]