For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 pm Am I the only one that didn't hate this show? :neutral:
Most of the show was very adequate. And then there was the Troi and Riker episode, which was incredibly cathartic, even knowing they were coming. The whole series was worth it for that.

That, and the Rios holograms, which were delightful 100% of the time.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 pm Am I the only one that didn't hate this show? :neutral:
I didn't hate it, but it has some pretty rough patches. I may have said it elsewhere here, but it really felt like they thought they had a full 22 episode order when they started and then had to rush to finish.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:13 pm I was highly entertained by this edit of the Best of Both Worlds pt 1 today.
Seriously? They cut so much, that I was able to watch it in 1 go. But they left in so much dialogue. Way too much exposition!! :x
Am I wrong here? :shifty: ( :cheersL: )
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 pmAm I the only one that didn't hate this show? :neutral:
If I made it seem like I did, that's a miscommunication on my part. I enjoyed many things about it. As a whole, I probably give the effort a C+/B- (with the option to go higher as the story moves forward). Seven's arc was my favorite part. Agnes's was probably my least favorite, but had a nice reveal at one point. There was at least a little good everywhere.

It's funny, as I've tried to educate myself on story structure and character development in storytelling, I will often see more of the cracks in the artwork that I don't think I would have before. I don't know where all the bodies are buried, but I can see a few and they do tend to be memorable, so come up when I discuss things I've seen.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
after rewatching it and looking at the details i think its even worse than i thought after the first watch :(
so many random meaningless emotional scenes. like raffis son or the lost son of the rikers.
then so many redundant scenes, especially in the first 2 episodes. like dash gets attacked by the romulans, then she goes to picard and tells him about it, then picard goes to her flat and rewatches the scene. omg. i only left dashs explanation in it.
horrible writing. probably the worst show that has Star Trek attached to it (after ENT).
It would make for some nice playables though :shifty:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
... and that, when an established author was attached as I writer. I only read one novel by Chabon, but had slightly higher hopes because of it.
I can only imagine what went wrong.

I do like ENT, though. Not as much as the 3 main 24th century shows, but it's easier watching for me than TOS; and overall it certainly gets a plus score.

(I belatedly grew up on TNG, and was able to see TOS only in 2015; and by then, although I knew what to expect, I was firmly educated by how modern TV could be. Thus, I like TOS for its innovation and as the root of Trek, but I can't enjoy it like the next 4 live-action series.)

At first viewing, I really disliked the Xindi season. Some individual eps were great; but overall, I thought it sucked. But when I knew what I could expect, and where it all was going, I could start getting used to it -- and while still my least favourite season, I do like it now. So there's a good example of that.

TNG, VOY... I love those like pizza. Even the bad episodes of TNG are pretty good. Those of VOY are acceptable and atleast fill the stomach.

DS9?

DS9 doesn't allow for bad episodes. There simply are none that I don't readily or deeply enjoy.

Oh -- while we're at it -- Picard first; then... Archer, I think (don't care so much about this, but as a Trekker, you must have an order, right?), or Sisko, and then the other; next is Janeway, then Rios (if we see more, he might very quickly move up!), then Pike, and Kirk. (And I don't actually dislike Kirk in most eps, let alone in the movies; I like all Caps and most of Trek, and it's just command style and character preference.)

I spent years writing fan fiction and reading tech manuals. (Novels not so much; I read other, often less light, stuff. Listened to some abridged audio productions of novels, though. Confirmed my choices.)

There you have it. I am a fan and I do love Trek with oblivious abandon. But yes, I have strong negative opinions on PIC, and -- much less! -- on s1 of DIS (haven't seen s2-3 yet). I'm entitled. :P

Now, Ensign Lo-Q-tus, will you tell us what you like about Trek? So we can see where you have your major positive thoughts about the franchise?

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
no, because i just wanted to share my enhanced version of
PIC for those who are interested and not engage a major discussion about it before even seen or trek in general.
watch it or dont. thanks
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]