For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
By which I mean how you got into Star Trek fandom, assuming you are a Star Trek fan, but you can also tell us how you got into one or more of these games.

For Trek in general, my mother was a fan. From what she told me, she was a fan from the original airing of the first episode. It's hard not to become a Trekkie when you're exposed to it from a parent.

As to the game, my friend gave me a huge pile of extra 1E cards because he was looking for someone to play with. Unfortunately, he's long since gotten rid of his cards or I'd have him on here.

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Similarly, my mother was a Trek fan and passed her love of the series to me via taking me to some of the original movies (Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country for sure, would have been too young for Voyage Home at release). When TNG started she was watching it first-run and would include me any time I wanted to watch. When it started syndication I'd watch it for hours every night.

The games I picked up not long after it started. Magic was big and when I heard there was a TNG card game I was all excited to try it out. Just played with friends and traded cards with people at school until the first Regionals. My first official event was run by Jason Winter and it was very much a trial by fire and ice - the bottom tables I ended up at were in the back room of the store and it was late winter and freezing.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
For me, it is all Odo's fault. Reading about Deep Space Nine in my newspaper's tv section, I was curious about this shape-shifting character. So, when an episode focused on Odo was on, I watched it to see what it was about. I thought it was interesting so I went on to watch some Original Series. That seemed interesting too and then I tried The Next Generation and that hooked me for good.

As for this game, I was into Magic in high school. I knew about the Trek game, but didn't think I knew anyone that played it. One day, a friend showed me that he had cards for Trek and that gave me the excuse to stop playing Magic and play Trek instead.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
My dad was a big space nerd. He was a teenager during the Apollo missions, and also fell in love with TOS at that time. When I was little, we lived out in the countryside, and I very clearly remember him trying to tune the TV antenna to get the station from farther away that showed Trek in syndication. He watched TNG when it came around, but I wasn't allowed to watch until I was 10 or 11 because the local CBS affiliate broadcast it at like 10:00 pm on Saturdays. The first ep of TNG I remember watching was Remember Me. I got to stay up late to help them put up wallpaper in our new house, which was closer to St. Louis, and was fascinated. After that I was allowed to stay up later on Saturdays for TNG. I really got hooked at the end of Season 5 with Time's Arrow, Part 1. I remember being incredibly indignant that I woulded funny story have to wait an entire summer to find out what happened. By this time, the local unaffiliated TV station had TNG in syndication, and I could watch it every night at 9:00 pm.

As for this game, I met some women in college who also loved Trek. We became roommates. They gave me their extra commons and uncommons, and the rest is history. Also, related story: apparently @JeBuS and I played against each other in tournaments in college, but neither of us remembered it until we met again at one of our more recent events.

Side note: my mom got me into Doctor Who. We used to watch it on the local PBS affiliate after school.
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
My mom was the big Star Trek fan and she would record all the episodes of TNG that she could on our VCR. I would watch it with her, but she thought DS9 was 'too dark' and skipped it for Voyager and so I didn't watch DS9 until well after I got into the card game.

Speaking of the card game. Once in 5th Grade my friend was showing me MTG and I thought it was super cool. I asked my parents if I could buy some Magic cards and we went down to the local card shop. Mom was scared of any sort of magic in any form though, and when she saw the pictures on the cards she flipped out and said absolutely not. She pointed out the Trouble With Tribbles starters and said I should try one of those instead. That set me down a life path for sure.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Y'know, I'm not entirely sure. :)

I remember watching re-runs of TOS on CBC (in glorious black and white!) as a kid, but I can't point to anyone in my family who is into sci-fi.

And I remember hogging the TV at age ten for the premiere of Next Generation. But I suspect the reason I got to watch it is my sister would have been about a year old, and my brother a month old, so I don't know if my parents were worried so much about what was occupying me, as that *something* was occupying me? :)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Another great topic. Keep these stories coming! I'll pitch in later, when I finish deck notes and reporting... these after action debriefings are a chore if you want to record everything... but what can you do! You're a deck nerd or not!

In-between the works, great to have some relaxing, nice reading and getting to know you, here! :thumbsup:
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
My brother (a year older) started watching the first season of TNG when I was a kid. I don't know how he learned about it, but I watched too. I'm pretty sure "Arsenal of Freedom" was my first episode. I was hooked. I delved into the trivia, read books to fill the time between episodes (often getting them taken away in class), and became a general nerd, while my brother just kind of liked it as a casual fan.

I also wrestled. My dad was a fan of athletic competition and he hadn't gotten much of a fix from my brother's forays into that culture, so while he didn't know the rules to wrestling (he played football - as I did - and basketball - at which I am horrible), he still took me to tournaments every Saturday during summer's freestyle season. One trip was to Omaha. I remember because we stayed with my grandparents that night. We went to a mall for one reason or another and I saw a display in one store with the Star Trek CCG. It was 1994. I asked my dad and he bought me a starter deck. I read the rulebook that night at my grandparents and looked through my cards to find out I had no artifacts (boy, I really wanted to see more examples of what those did) and the deck was too muddled with different affiliations to work as a deck. Both problems had to be solved, so I bought more.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation