For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

Who is the best One Season wonder?

Tasha Yar (TNG)
7%
Katherine Pulaski (TNG)
28%
Ezri Dax (DS9)
28%
Gabriel Lorca (DSC)
34%
Narek (PIC)
No votes
0%
Shaxs (LD)
3%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
In the vast franchise of Star Trek, several characters have appeared in multiple series. Some have just appeared in one. Some of those were pretty much regulated to one season. Let's take a look and have a scientific poll to see which is our favorite. If a character appears in multiple seasons they are not on the list but if they have a smattering of gust spots they are. Although Tasha Yar had a guest spot in seasons three and seven, you pretty much remember her from the First Season of The Next Generation. Conversely, Nahn was a recurring regular on Discovery before becoming an opening credits regular in the third season.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Katherine Pulaski and it isn't even close.

Clearly the best doctor of her era, *arguably* the best doctor in all of Trek (that's a tough hill but she's at least in the front row of the team photo with McCoy and Phlox, and didn't even need any genetic enhancement like Bashir).

Plus, Diana Muldaur is a Trek legend in her own right with her two guest appearances in TOS. How many actors have had the opportunity to play opposite both Shatner AND Stewart? Malcolm McDowell, Diana Muldaur, and.... ?? That's elite company right there.

I said last year they need to bring her back in Picard for a Pulaski reprisal - tell me that wouldn't be awesome!

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Pulaski never worked for me personally because it never felt she had much of a character beyond "female McCoy" and it never really worked. This was especially the case with them trying to recreate the semi-adversarial relationship McCoy had with Spock with Data substituting for Spock and it not working because Spock could dish it right back out in his own way, and Pulaski just came across as bullying Data.

Add to that that she only had profoundly ugly and binderiffic representation in 1E until at least Holodeck Adventures' Madam Pulaski, if not Metamorphosis' conversion of her 2EBC card, she's far from my pick.

I'll take Ezri, who was both developed into a worthy successor to Jadzia (no small task) and a great character in her own right.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Everybody knows how much I hate Disco. Nontheless I voted Lorca. Disregarding the fact that they unsurprisingly managed to fuck up his character arc in the end, imo he was the only redeeming quality in the train wreck that is known as STD.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Although I love TNG and I like Tasha Yar as a character, she is not much more than cardboard. Pulaski has more depth, and I think Muldaur does a great job as an actress, but the character never really worked for me.

Ezri just gets under my nerves. (but maybe I never got over the fact that they killed off Jadzia :-) )

I've watched Picard a year or so ago, but had to google who Narek was again...

Shaxs is cool and might have warranted a vote if LD was more than 10 episodes and he just had a bit more showtime.

So in the end my vote goes to Lorca. He made season 1 of Discovery fun to watch. He added depth and intrigue, and played by a great actor.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I went Pulaski, because I always found the she-McCoy argument to be rather reductive - TNG didn't have the id/ego/superego thing going. She was a compelling character, and was the first crack in the "oh, we will never argue about anything ever again" wall.

Nicole DeBoer is awesome, but I always associate her with Deepwater Black first. :)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Lots of good stuff said, I could almost copy all of my opinions. Thx. Rankings and emphasis added.
WeyounsLastClone wrote:Lorca (#2). He made season 1 of Discovery fun to watch. He added depth and intrigue, and played by a great actor.
True. :thumbsup: But he doesn't take the #1 spot for me.

Watched PIC twice (but in short succession). I couldn't tell you exactly why, in 2 sentences (I'd need at least 6), but Narek is my #3. Horrible man, well-played (as are most of the others) -- fun to watch.

WeyounsLastClone wrote:Although I love TNG and I like Tasha Yar (#4) as a character, she is not much more than cardboard. Pulaski (#6) has more depth, and I think Muldaur does a great job as an actress, but the character never really worked for me.

Shaxs (#5 -- seen until ep6, might revise later) is cool and might have warranted a vote if LD was more than 10 episodes and he just had a bit more showtime.
This.
Boffo97 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:22 pm Pulaski (#6) never worked for me personally because it never felt she had much of a character beyond "female McCoy" and it never really worked. This was especially the case with them trying to recreate the semi-adversarial relationship McCoy had with Spock with Data substituting for Spock and it not working because Spock could dish it right back out in his own way, and Pulaski just came across as bullying Data.

I'll take Ezri, who was both developed into a worthy successor to Jadzia (no small task) and a great character in her own right.
This. And with a little room to spare.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pulaski. /topic

tasha barely had anything going for her, besides laying data.
and ezri i find just an annoying soapplot in the last season of ds9

dont care about the other shows.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]