For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
most of you probably dont know yet, but magic the gathering will no longer be its own universe. theyre acquiring ips to print crossip products.

they already did godzilla and the walking dead cards.
this year lotr, wh40k and DnD will follow

its absolutely possible they reach out for Star Trek.

what does that mean to the CC?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:31 pm most of you probably dont know yet, but magic the gathering will no longer be its own universe. theyre acquiring ips to print crossip products.

they already did godzilla and the walking dead cards.
this year lotr, wh40k and DnD will follow

its absolutely possible they reach out for Star Trek.

what does that mean to the CC?
This feels like a jump the shark moment for Magic.

I'm a little surprised - I thought things were going well for them.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
magic is on a sellout track for like 2yrs now. obv it increased their short term revenue, but might kill the game in the longer run.
part of the reason i more or less abandonded it.

but mtg as a game system is pretty solid, so it might switch to the best selling ip for good at one point.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:38 pm magic is on a sellout track for like 2yrs now. obv it increased their short term revenue, but might kill the game in the longer run.
part of the reason i more or less abandonded it.

but mtg as a game system is pretty solid, so it might switch to the best selling ip for good at one point.
I played Magic for a couple years (1994/95, slight revisit around 1997/98) and just couldn't get into it at the level needed to be a competitive tournament player. Basically gave it up to be competitive in the Decipher games.

So I'm not current on the state of anything, I just thought they were still having success. It and Pokémon are the only 2 games I see booster displays of at the gaming store these days (maybe Yu-Gi-Oh in a distant third) so I figured to an extent that "real" CCGs were a thing, Magic was more or less "it."

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
mtg is still the strongest cardgame, but its lore is too weak to become pop culture. or have you ever heared of jace or chandra?

so instead of producing mtg the movie/series, they do the opposite route and print popculture cards.

to me its a logical step, because the soul of the game got stripped away over the years already.

im just curious what happens if they start printing trek cards.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Nothing happens to us. Dollars to donuts they'd start with the current IPs (Disco, Picard and Lower Decks). IIRC, that's where WotC started when they stole the Star Wars license from Decipher (Episode 2 was in theaters??). We don't compete with them there, so we're no threat.

This is all speculation, so I'm gonna say let's not borrow trouble or spend time
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Remember, that Wizards of the Coast is now a Hasbro company, so Hasbro has noticed that these cardboard games make some decent money, so time to milk it for all it's worth!

I wouldn't worry overmuch, because if memory serves all the properties that Magic has done or announced cross-promotions all are either Hasbro properties (D&D, MLP, Transformers, Nerf), properties that Hasbro bought toy/merch rights to and thus would want to milk everywhere possible (Walking Dead), or 40K (and Games Workshop licenses to *everyone*).

Trek rights are ViacomCBS, who are big enough in their own right. Could be they'd sell the rights to Hasbro/WotC, but could just as easily go with a different publisher.

Personally, I'd be shocked if we got a new CCG - there's still a fair number of CCGs in print (Wikipedia says about 50), but the big tie-in has been board games for a while now.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Closest I've seen to a new Star Trek card game since these games died is Star Trek Fluxx.

Which, after examination, is just a Star Trek coat of paint on an existing game.
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:36 pm Closest I've seen to a new Star Trek card game since these games died is Star Trek Fluxx.

Which, after examination, is just a Star Trek coat of paint on an existing game.
Also Star Trek Catan (which is Catan with a coat of paint)

And Attack Wing (which is X-Wing with a coat of paint)

And Star Trek Panic (Castle Panic, pass the paint)

And Star Trek Frontiers (Mage Knight, order more paint)

And Star Trek Fleet Captains (which at least only uses the Clix dials, but doesn't appear to be a straight up repainting for once)

At least Star Trek Ascendancy appears to be an original game. (And not a terribly bad one tbh - manages to largely, if not completely, avoid the "and then the Feds went to war" problem.)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:05 pm

And Star Trek Fleet Captains (which at least only uses the Clix dials, but doesn't appear to be a straight up repainting for once)
This is a fun game but damn is the set up and tear down a time sucking mess. Just can't justify playing it with friends on a game day.
 -  
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:46 am Mtg has successfully brought in all sorts of mythology so far, but I really struggle to believe that there is cross promotional opportunity with all of those universes. Particularly lotr, that one seems every kind of shocking.
I don't think it's cross-promotion. Think closer to Love Letter, Fluxx, Uno or Monopoly - it's re-using existing designs to get a quick licensed box out the door easily.

And remember - WotC isn't paying for the license - Hasbro is. So this is the boss monkeys saying "we already paid good money to make action figures, lunchboxes, and flamethrowers (kids love that one!), so what else can we slap this IP on?"
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:04 pm So this is the boss monkeys saying "we already paid good money to make action figures, lunchboxes, and flamethrowers (kids love that one!), so what else can we slap this IP on?"
ROFLMAO!

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
its sad that they went from
ImageImageImage
to
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Ensign Q on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
And thank you for validating my decision to leave M:TG in the 20th century!
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]