For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
monty42 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:53 am
monty42 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 am 1. The Undiscovered Country Flawless masterpiece
2. The Wrath of Khan KHAAAAAAN!!!
3. First Contact This would be my #1, if they hadn't introduced the Borg Queen and gave the once formidable foe a face. BAD choice.
4. The Voyage Home High on LDS. Took Doc Brown's Bird of Prey and went beyond 88 mph
5. The Search for Spock Solid. Turned death into a fighting chance to live
6. Generations Hated it back in the day. I like to watch it nowadays. Gets better with age
7. Nemesis I very much enjoyed all the Romulus/Remus stuff. Clone storyline was a little far fetched though
8. The Motion Picture This one drags. Try not to fall asleep. I dare you!
9. The Final Frontier Shatner shouldn't have traded the captain's chair for the director's chair. Honorary mention for the camping scene.
10. Insurrection A tale of beardless Rikers and joysticks
This is the correct answer.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Due to a combination of @BCSWowbagger's arguments, not having watched it recently, and (other reasons), my estimation of Insurrection has improved since the last time this topic was discussed. I'd still place it in the bottom half as I think it's still better on paper than it is on screen, but I wouldn't place it on the bottom of an OS/TNG list.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
A friend put the bug in my ear a few years back that Khan is actually a bad Trek movie. (Good *movie*, but bad *Star Trek*), and it's been continually eroding my opinion of it ever since.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:55 am Due to a combination of @BCSWowbagger's arguments, not having watched it recently, and (other reasons), my estimation of Insurrection has improved since the last time this topic was discussed. I'd still place it in the bottom half as I think it's still better on paper than it is on screen, but I wouldn't place it on the bottom of an OS/TNG list.
<3

I watched this last Sunday and teared right up.

Anyone else read Michael Piller's Fade In: The Making of Star Trek Insurrection? The book, not the leaked and woefully incomplete PDF.

Even if you don't love Insurrection the way I do, it is the best behind-the-scenes Star Trek book ever written, hands down, very sorry to runners-up Justman and Solow (for Inside Star Trek).

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i havent seen the tos ones in years. from what i remember

1 TOS: the whale one ( i remember it as fun. i also like timetravel stuff)
2. TNG: Insurrection (for me the definitive end of the tng era. i imagined they all move there and live happy and for thousands of years on Ba'ku. its also the only movie that feels like tng)
3. probably khan?
4. tmp?

6. First Contact ( its more of an action movie than Trek. It also completely destroyed the mystery of borg. Picard was completely out of character)
7. Generations (It was just a mess) remember how excited picard was over Kurlan Naiskos? https://youtu.be/uHSX9e1TadA?t=12
8. the god one?

10. Nemesis (not even remotely tng anymore, just adding to 9 being the finale)

the new ones: i feel repelled watching those. what is this cast? spock makes me sick.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
My current order:

First Contact
Wrath of Kahn
Undiscovered Country
Voyage Home
Insurrection
Generations
Search for Spock
Nemesis
Motion Picture
Final Frontier

The only part of FF I enjoy is scotty fixing the bridge and in the middle it fails and you get "R-r-r-r Red.....Alert....."

Of course that part is routinely cut from TV showings...

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Off the cuff I'll go with:

First Contact
Undiscovered Country
Wrath of Kahn
Voyage Home
Insurrection
Final Frontier
Generations
Search for Spock
Nemesis
Motion Picture

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:53 am 6. Generations Hated it back in the day. I like to watch it nowadays. Gets better with age
So I watched the run of Halt and Catch Fire (great show btw, highly recommend) and in one of the last episodes a 14 year old character goes off screen to see Generations when it released and describes it as "weird. There's this whole thing with kirk and picard in a weird fantasyland...."

It made me think back to when I saw it, at the same age on it's release weekend and feeling the same way. Now later in life I came to realization that Generations is a trek movie written by boomers for boomers who in 1994 were at the time remembering watching tos as kids and now seeing trek movies in middle age and becoming preoccupied with their mortality. Now that I'm approaching that age and doing the same I watch Generations and go. "I get it now!". Then you see Insurrection and it becomes more apparent - the boomer wish fulfillment of never growing old, never dying.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So I took all your rankings, along with the OS/TNG rankings from Armus's old thread from anyone that did not post in this thread, and created an average ranking for each film. Here are the results..........

wrath of kahn 2.071428571
first contact 2.571428571
undiscovered country 2.642857143
voyage home 3.928571429
search for spock 5.714285714
generations 6.285714286
insurrection 6.357142857
nemesis 8.357142857
final frontier 8.428571429
motion picture 8.642857143

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:18 pm So I took all your rankings, along with the OS/TNG rankings from Armus's old thread from anyone that did not post in this thread, and created an average ranking for each film. Here are the results..........

wrath of kahn 2.071428571
first contact 2.571428571
undiscovered country 2.642857143
voyage home 3.928571429
search for spock 5.714285714
generations 6.285714286
insurrection 6.357142857
nemesis 8.357142857
final frontier 8.428571429
motion picture 8.642857143
Yea that feels right. :thumbsup:

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
im surprised, but not surprised First Contact is so highly ranked here. I can understand why it appeals to the average cinema goer, but in a die hard trek community it feels kinda off.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
@Ensign Q i just love the borg. and the queen. i thought it was a nice reveal. i dont like the action so much. but the time travel aspect, meeting zefram, flying the phoenix, picard's trauma (not his action hero mode)... all great. and in total, that makes it a great film for me, for this franchise. because in my total cinema top 10 or top 20, there's not a trek film in sight... they're not THAT good... :wink: :twocents:

@Takket that's nerdy, man! i love it! i lament the lack of more decimals, though. :lol: (no i dont. actually, should could've cut them off where they were no longer relevant for comparison. but i love it anyway! :wink: :thumbsup: )

@Hoss-Drone that analysis on the boomers was deep, man. :shock: :thumbsup: thx for sharing.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:24 am @Ensign Q i just love the borg. and the queen. i thought it was a nice reveal. i dont like the action so much. but the time travel aspect, meeting zefram, flying the phoenix, picard's trauma (not his action hero mode)... all great. and in total, that makes it a great film for me, for this franchise. because in my total cinema top 10 or top 20, there's not a trek film in sight... they're not THAT good... :wink: :twocents:
yeah, i certainly dont have a trekflick in my toplist either. but i liked fc more for a non-trekflick than a trekflick. i still dont get why borg would need a queen and i liked them more before. picard going full johnmcclane (including undershirt) was just icing on the top of character break. series picard wouldve never went full combat mode either. that was just not him. it was worf dressed as picard.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Ensign Q wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:30 am series picard wouldve never went full combat mode either. that was just not him. it was worf dressed as picard.
The episode Starship Mine says hello.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Ensign Q wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:01 am im surprised, but not surprised First Contact is so highly ranked here. I can understand why it appeals to the average cinema goer, but in a die hard trek community it feels kinda off.
Well to each their own. I guess everybody has a different interpretation of what "the die hard trek community" looks like.

However I think it's quite an amusing rope-a-dope that your using the terminology die hard trek community when that is the very thing you're critizising about the out-of-character Picard. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tourna[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]