For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
No shade on Disco (still haven't seen it), but if I were going to spend the money on a Trek pizza cutter, I'd totally go the OG Enterprise route.

I'm OG like that. 8)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm
The Guardian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:34 pm Huh. I thought Ryn had dibs...
I remember a conversation like this -- from, say, 2 years ago? More? -- but I think it was also Charlie and me.
Who is Ryn, and when did they call dibs?
No spoilers, but he shows up in Season 3. The character is played by Mary Wiseman's husband, hence the joke.

-crp
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
edgeofhearing wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:04 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm I <3 Tilly so much.

-crp
I don't always enjoy discovery, but when I do, it's because there's plenty of Tilly, Stamets, and Reno in that episode.
They're like the original Trio, but from the Upside-down.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 pm
edgeofhearing wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:04 pm I don't always enjoy discovery, but when I do, it's because there's plenty of Tilly, Stamets, and Reno in that episode.
They're like the original Trio, but from the Upside-down.
No Reno in this meme, but it's on the right track:
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm
The Guardian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:34 pm Huh. I thought Ryn had dibs...
I remember a conversation like this -- from, say, 2 years ago? More? -- but I think it was also Charlie and me.
Who is Ryn, and when did they call dibs?
A character from season 3. I’m not spoiling anything. The actor who plays him married Mary Wiseman.

By grandar
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:04 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm I <3 Tilly so much.

-crp
I don't always enjoy discovery, but when I do, it's because there's plenty of Tilly, Stamets, and Reno in that episode.
That’s a true statement for sure. That’s the Disco dream team.

Stamets started off as one of my least favorite characters, and quickly rise to become one of my favs. Book and Micheal for next best team.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 pm No shade on Disco (still haven't seen it), but if I were going to spend the money on a Trek pizza cutter, I'd totally go the OG Enterprise route.

I'm OG like that. 8)
OG means Original?

I also don't know Book yet...? Thx for caution thus far! But I might need to vacate the premises to let you freely talk and not be spoiled. :) (I won't ask to not spoil a years-old series -- or can I, here?)

Actually, what I like to add before I go, is that I find Burham very well acted but a totally uninteresting character. But since Tilly, Stamets and Tyler (my dream team; I als like Culber but he's too much on the perifery) get a lot of time, this weirdly doesn't disturb me! I don't like the way that Spock 'needed' to be part of this Trek, and I'm fully on the "why not in the 24th century" team. Pike, though, is great. Not like I remember him (character made strong impression on me in Cage) at all, but still a very nice Captain.
I do have some other concerns, but none of all that really detracts too much from how much I'm enjoying my second viewing of s1 and first look of s2 so far. :cross: :thumbsup:

Oh. I wouldn't get a Disco pizza cutter because I think that tug is dead ugly; but slowly, the sight of it on screen is growing on me (only because... well... yeah, because I love the series? :o There, I said it). I think that is when I realised that Disco may actually find its place somewhere on my Beloved Trek shelf, where all most older Trek is... (I remember that Enterprise had to struggle a bit for that, once; but now I can't imagine Trek without it.)

All Trek is flawed as hell. It's not overly great TV or film, for the most part. But it is Trek, and I don't want to go into how or why here, but it is still my favourite watching, nerding, and thinking fodder.

Anyway. I was going to to return to the pizza cutter.
I don't ever always cut pizza. But when I do, I'd want an Oberth, Excelsior (mk I!), or Defiant class cutter to do it with.

A Cube Cutter sounds great but wouldn't work, I feel. Borg Probe cutter, anyone?

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Reinact your favourite spore jump scene with a mushroom pizza.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Marquetry wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 pm We can all share Tilly! :wink:

And yes, we'll probably get one of the pizza cutters. Have the Enterprise one
Apparently we're getting another pizza cutter that we're not allowed to use :)

Michael
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 am... but slowly, the sight of it on screen is growing on me (only because... well... yeah, because I love the series? :o There, I said it). I think that is when I realised that Disco may actually find its place somewhere on my Beloved Trek shelf, where all most older Trek is... (I remember that Enterprise had to struggle a bit for that, once; but now I can't imagine Trek without it.)
I saw something that shocked me yesterday: DS9 premiered closer to the original series than to now. It's funny to remember that there were fans that adamantly said that Enterprise wasn't "real Trek." And some said the same about DS9. And TNG. Probably the movies. We're part of that same fan history. And maybe we're the old men on the porch grumbling about "the kids these days," but I also clearly see that TNG was pretty hard to watch until season 3.

But not DS9. That was great right out of the gate.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
The Guardian wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:06 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 am... but slowly, the sight of it on screen is growing on me (only because... well... yeah, because I love the series? :o There, I said it). I think that is when I realised that Disco may actually find its place somewhere on my Beloved Trek shelf, where all most older Trek is... (I remember that Enterprise had to struggle a bit for that, once; but now I can't imagine Trek without it.)
I saw something that shocked me yesterday: DS9 premiered closer to the original series than to now. It's funny to remember that there were fans that adamantly said that Enterprise wasn't "real Trek." And some said the same about DS9. And TNG. Probably the movies. We're part of that same fan history. And maybe we're the old men on the porch grumbling about "the kids these days," but I also clearly see that TNG was pretty hard to watch until season 3.

But not DS9. That was great right out of the gate.
Honestly, growing up on TNG I hated DS9 (my favorite Trek show) when it first aired. I stopped watching it after a few episodes. A couple of years later I rented "The Way of the Warrior" on VHS and instantaneously fell in love with the show. That was right around the time when season 5 premiered I think.
Only later I've grown to appreciate the earlier seasons.
I'm quite certain that we're the old men now but we're also living in a golden age of nerdism right now and I think we have a much better grasp on how and where to critique a show compared to a time when there was a very limited amount of sci-fi content on the air.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I loved every bit of that limited amount though.
Earth 2. Seaquest. Space: above and beyond. Babylon 5. The 4 treks of the day. Bunches of Stargates. farscape and the short lived Tremors scifi TV show. I don't know when these aired. Now I am just listing fun sci-fi, huh.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
winterflames wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:43 am Earth 2. Seaquest. Space: above and beyond. Babylon 5. The 4 treks of the day. Bunches of Stargates. farscape and the short lived Tremors scifi TV show.
I pick any of these over Disco and Picard any day!
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]