For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:57 pm Interesting thought.
Seems to be, in the extreme... however, for fear of spoilers, I haven't read far yet. I've seen PIC and LDS, still working on s3 of DIS (about a quarter in). Will I be spoilt by reading this?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:35 am
Seems to be, in the extreme... however, for fear of spoilers, I haven't read far yet. I've seen PIC and LDS, still working on s3 of DIS (about a quarter in). Will I be spoilt by reading this?
I dont think so. It mainly just conjectures that - because a character in S3 of discovery mentions that he is *aware* of the Kelvin Timeline, that a bajoran reckoning tablet is seen in the picard s2 trailer, Q is involved and we now know a new movie is going to come out in 2 years - that said movie is going to be set up to be a convergence of all these sort of varying timeline threads.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Neat idea but I don't have faith in the current PtB at Paramount to pull it off.
:?

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:35 am
Yes. It mentions a guest character revelation that it's best to have the show reveal to you instead.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks. Having skimmed it a bit, and reading your comments, I know enough to be tentatively, mildly excited.
Iron Prime wrote:Neat idea but I don't have faith in the current PtB at Paramount to pull it off.
I'm on the fence about this. Contemporary Trek is inherently flawed... but so is ancient, vintage, and "OMG-I-Loved-That"-Trek.
Think I said this before, Trek has never been, nor ever will be, a masterpiece of consistent storytelling or anything like that. But it is Trek. And the more (often) I see (parts) of it today (LDS, PIC, DIS), the more I see flaws -- and thoroughly enjoy it.
The MCU started out awesome for me, but while the origins work still as dramatic stand-alone films, the ensemble action blockbusters kept dropping the ball (for me personally) after the first one.
But I think a Trek variant on this might be welcome for me...? :shifty:

Someone (perhaps @monty42?) said sometime ago, "Just slapping a Trek logo to something doesn't make it Trek".
A very valid stance. One I can respect. :thumbsup:

And yet... I found myself, the past week, realising... yes, slapping a Trek logo to something and calling it "canon" will help me absorb it, get used to it, and love it. Trek is in my system, and for better or worse, new "officially named Trek" will find its way with me.

I was toying with the idea of starting a topic about this, (ironically) named,
"I Can No Longer Respect Myself As A Trek Fan" ( :P ).
Now, I don't have to. :thumbsup:

Whether it's good or not(*), if it has a Trek logo, I'll learn to love it. Indiscriminate, it seems. That's not pretty. It's not who I want to be. But it is. 8)

(*: Here, I look back at the hateful rants I wrote about PIC after
the torturous killing of Icheb
, which I still despise. But back then, I seriously believed I'd never think back fondly on anything in that series, because of
that horror [says someone who read 95% of all that HPL's ever written!], and the swearing and cursing [which is fine -- but not in Trek!], and the long martial arts & action scenes, ...
. But because it's part of the greater whole, I am starting to forgive it.
Is that being a fan? Or a drooling fan-person? Or a mindless drone that'll guzzle up anything it's given? I don't care. It's me, and I'm having fun.)

Sorry about that side-step. Back to the OP... The Theory.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Reading the article, I think they missed the obvious alternative explanation - maybe that tablet is on Picard's desk because they were looking for "old stuff because Picard likes old stuff" and found it in the back lot.

Trek has a long and storied tradition of grabbing random objects for props (IIRC the first set of McCoy's doctor tools were a salt and pepper shaker), and the fact that the Oscillation overthruster from Buckaroo was used (and re-used) multiple times doesn't mean there's a cinematic universe, y'know?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I was already seriously taking this into account, too. [Down]
AllenGould wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:22 am Reading the article, I think they missed the obvious alternative explanation - maybe that tablet is on Picard's desk because they were looking for "old stuff because Picard likes old stuff" and found it in the back lot

Trek has a long and storied tradition of grabbing random objects for props (IIRC the first set of McCoy's doctor tools were a salt and pepper shaker), and the fact that the Oscillation overthruster from Buckaroo was used (and re-used) multiple times
doesn't mean there's a cinematic universe, y'know?
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 am I was already seriously taking this into account, too. [Down]
Also, I would add that Modern Trek has not been... subtle about it's call backs as of late. So if it was meant to be a "ooh, we're pillaging DS9 for more plot!" reveal, I suspect it would have been "Queen playing card that gets burned away to show only the Q and then zoomed in slowly to make sure you saw that it was a Q because it's Q get it you liked Q" obvious. :)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think you might have missed, though, how subtle exactly all the current fan-service is.

FTFY: [Down]
AllenGould wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 amAlso, I would add that Modern Trek has not been... subtle about it's call backs as of late. So if it was meant to be a "ooh, we're pillaging DS9 for more plot!" reveal, I suspect it would have been "Queen playing card that gets burned away to show only the Q and then zoomed in slowly to make sure you saw that it was a Q because it's Q get it you liked Q" obvious.
:roll:
One of the flaws. (My first post still stands tall, though!)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation