For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
2E Sector 001 Regional Champion 2023
I thought at least some of you might find this article interesting. Data analysis is used to visualize the interaction of major and supporting characters in TOS/TMP, TNG, DS9, and VOY. The article is about how the data analyst created the matrices. But, the visualizations certainly suggest that as Trek progressed chronologically from TOS to Voyager, the series became much more ensemble in nature, as opposed to a show about the Captain and his First Offer and the rest (no disrespect to TOS/TMP intended).
178658389_10101031719433226_6188857522119177030_n.jpg
178658389_10101031719433226_6188857522119177030_n.jpg (150.53 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
That's really cool. It's interesting, remembering a show like DS9 had such strong relationships between certain pairs of characters and characters on the outside of certain dynamics, often Quark, but also sometimes other characters.

It would be interesting to do this with other shows too. Off the top of my head, something like Legends of Tomorrow feels like it would probably be pretty balanced (i.e. more like Voyager than TOS or DS9). That show takes great pride in splitting characters up in random groups and reveling in the odd interactions. Then, there are shows like BSG, where a lot of characters interact with the same people over and over again. If I remember an interview with Aaron Douglas in the Battlestar Galacticast podcast, Chief Tyrol and Number Six only shared one interaction (as defined by this article) in the entire show and it was in season 4!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The Prefect wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 pm as opposed to a show about the Captain and his First Offer and the rest (no disrespect to TOS/TMP intended).
I think it may be an artifact of how the lines are arranged, but that TNG graph does reinforce the "Picard and Data show" theory.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
That's a pretty neat graphic. I'll have to save the article for later.

Thanks for sharing!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Great info, this.
The Guardian wrote:It would be interesting to do this with other shows too.
:thumbsup:
Chief Tyrol and Number Six only shared one interaction (as defined by this article) in the entire show and it was in season 4!
I never noticed that! :shock:
Also, Would it have been a conscious choice to "pair/group up" characters like that, in BSG? (Which, in retrospect, I do recognize.) Is it more realistic of IRL dynamics? Or an oversight?
AllenGould wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 am I think it may be an artifact of how the lines are arranged, but that TNG graph does reinforce the "Picard and Data show" theory.
Why/what do you think (it's) an artifact (exactly)?
Actually I do really remember TNG that way. Which is fine, I love Data.
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 am Also, Would it have been a conscious choice to "pair/group up" characters like that, in BSG? (Which, in retrospect, I do recognize.) Is it more realistic of IRL dynamics? Or an oversight?
My guess is that it’s more the nature of that show (and probably more realistic). Definitely conscious. Sure, the Admiral will probably interact with everyone on his ship, but the President spent a lot of time on her own ship. The pilots generally hung out together. Seven only talked to Baltar for a long time. Helo was stuck on a planet with only one character for a whole season. The Final Five spend a lot of time discussing things together. Stuff like that generally splits people up. My guess is the Admiral, Apollo, and Starbuck (and maybe Baltar) have the most spread out interactions, as they generally got involved in most episodes, but their darkest lines probably form a triangle too.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 am Also, Would it have been a conscious choice to "pair/group up" characters like that, in BSG? (Which, in retrospect, I do recognize.) Is it more realistic of IRL dynamics? Or an oversight?
Seven only talked to Baltar for a long time.
Wrong show, wrong number! :lol: Six! :wink:

But you obvs know your stuff, and you maka a lot of sense. Man, I love that series. Have seen it 3x end-to-end after 2010 (when I saw it for the 1st time). Have seen Caprica only once, but plan on watching it more often. Same (but different...) with B5.

Thx for your thoughts!

And if anyone ever comes across such diagrams for other series, let us know! :thumbsup:
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:01 pm
Seven only talked to Baltar for a long time.
Wrong show, wrong number! :lol: Six! :wink:
Ha! I remember having a feeling that seemed weird, but a voice inside me said, "No, you got it, man." Teach me to listen to my inner voice...
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 am
AllenGould wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 am I think it may be an artifact of how the lines are arranged, but that TNG graph does reinforce the "Picard and Data show" theory.
It's hard to know for sure without seeing the actual numbers, but it's harder to compare line thinknesses on the vertical vs the diagonal.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:52 am
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 am
It's hard to know for sure without seeing the actual numbers, but it's harder to compare line thinknesses on the vertical vs the diagonal.
... Gotcha.

You're that sort of smart person who makes diagrams of things, right? And plays very complex card games? And listens to jazz? I bet you like Star Wars, too; you know, that film with Dr Spock in it.
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 am You're that sort of smart person who makes diagrams of things, right?
Nah - just a person who spends his work hours crunching big piles of information into clean smaller piles of information (and thus has to pay attention to "does presenting it this way misleading?" ;) )

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:34 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 am You're that sort of smart person who makes diagrams of things, right?
Nah - just a person who spends his work hours crunching big piles of information into clean smaller piles of information (and thus has to pay attention to "does presenting it this way misleading?" ;) )
Could've sworn you were a nerd-like person, saying smart things like that...
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]