For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
AllenGould wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm sink this whole enterprise.

On a more serious note, isn't there something to either trademark and/or copyright law in the U.S. that basically means that the only way CBS can leave us alone is to "not notice us", and if something causes them to have to notice us, then they're either forced to take legal action or risk lawyers in later more high profile incidents claiming that they haven't defended their IP and have thus abandoned it?

I remember this coming up when Mojang (creator of Minecraft) made a new game called Scrolls and Zenimax (then parent company of Bethesda) sued claiming trademark infringement on the Elder Scrolls series of games before quickly settling. It was claimed at the time Zenimax knew no infringement was happening, but had to file to protect the IP.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Boffo97 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:16 pm
AllenGould wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm sink this whole enterprise.

On a more serious note, isn't there something to either trademark and/or copyright law in the U.S. that basically means that the only way CBS can leave us alone is to "not notice us", and if something causes them to have to notice us, then they're either forced to take legal action or risk lawyers in later more high profile incidents claiming that they haven't defended their IP and have thus abandoned it?

I remember this coming up when Mojang (creator of Minecraft) made a new game called Scrolls and Zenimax (then parent company of Bethesda) sued claiming trademark infringement on the Elder Scrolls series of games before quickly settling. It was claimed at the time Zenimax knew no infringement was happening, but had to file to protect the IP.
Short answer: yes, and you can refer back to my decipher "sitting on their hands" comment. But a lot of judges will still say they are defending their IP if they have gone after *anybody recently* and part of that is the idea that defending your IP isn't zero sum. Letting some people play nicely in the sandbox can be easily argued as helpful and profitable to the IP. See fan films and I would say the CC as well.

Moreover, the burden of proof if you even have the money to fight the issue, is on YOU to provide enough recent examples of the IP holder not defending against an obvious grifter.

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm 2. There's no way the rights holders don't know we're here. We're far too visible to pretend that CBS somehow hasn't Googled their own series and stumbled into us.
Computer, get me all the records of fan run sites since 2000. Cross reference revivals of lapsed game licenses. Send it to my Ready Room.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:52 pm Computer, get me all the records of fan run sites since 2000. Cross reference revivals of lapsed game licenses. Send it to my Ready Room.
We show up on the first page of Google search results. We're linked on the WIkipedia page for the original game. If CBS doesn't know about us using the property that they're actively developing multiple shows for, they need to fire a lot of people for not doing their jobs.

By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:58 pm We show up on the first page of Google search results. We're linked on the WIkipedia page for the original game. If CBS doesn't know about us using the property that they're actively developing multiple shows for, they need to fire a lot of people for not doing their jobs.
I just mean that CBS would never use something so pedestrian as Google when they have the Computer at their disposal right there on the lot. It also made me think about how specific Computer requests were compared to how we now know they would be. "Computer, star trek game card old", "Computer, trek episode security officer back from dead"

Also, I don't think CC does appear in the first page. Perhaps in your customized results, but I dropped into incognito mode and searched both "Star Trek" and "Star Trek Game" and CC was not in the first 10 pages of either. This isn't to say CBS doesn't know, they obviously have a legion of people following this stuff, but if a pleb wants to find this, you have to have some idea what you're looking for. Note, if I search "Star Trek card" an article about the CC from Ars Technica does appear on page one, as does a Wikipedia article about the Decipher game, but the CC doesn't until page two.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 pm but I dropped into incognito mode and searched both "Star Trek" and "Star Trek Game" and CC was not in the first 10 pages of either.
In incognito it shows up under "Star Trek card game". (A couple of times).

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Ways CBS could have found this place (off the top of my head):

1. The article on Decipher's site when they wrapped up making STCCG.

2. GenCon schedules.

3. Google search.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
nobthehobbit wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:16 pm Ways CBS could have found this place (off the top of my head):

1. The article on Decipher's site when they wrapped up making STCCG.

2. GenCon schedules.

3. Google search.
Did anyone look for users like ahrefs or majestics bot and know what these companies do?
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
CC promos are not licensed Decipher cards. Remember cards made from this site are from the CC NOT from Decipher.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation