For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:15 pm
@Brian: I am strictly talking economics in this case.
Fair enough, Andreas. :cheersL:

Too bad the high end Trek market is still bonkers... that's where all of my needs are! And I'm guessing I'm hardly the only one in that boat or it would've corrected already!

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Well ... the problem is, that the prices are virtually dictated by Categoryonegames. A lot of people use them as reference - and he 'creates' / has 'created' inflated prices.
I have critizised his business openly and have no problem continuing to do so.

That is what you get in a monopolistic situation.

I can see prices falling, but it will take a lot of time.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:47 pm Well ... the problem is, that the prices are virtually dictated by Categoryonegames. A lot of people use them as reference - and he 'creates' / has 'created' inflated prices.
I have critizised his business openly and have no problem continuing to do so.

That is what you get in a monopolistic situation.

I can see prices falling, but it will take a lot of time.
He's only a monopoly because he's the only one with cards for sale.

I've gotten a few AGT cards in recent trades and off of Ebay for less than what C1G sells for, though in some cases not *that* much less (and in other cases quite a bit less).

I think that fundamentally, at least at this point, there are still more buyers than sellers when it comes to the high end stuff.

Which means if you have cards to sell, you should follow Andreas's plan and unload. For the right price and the right cards I'll be your mark! :shifty:

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Actually, I did unload some of the higher value stuff months ago.

I saw no reason to keep cards that are spiking and spiking, cards that I can print out anyways.

I would not have done that 5, 10 or 15 years ago and I am surely not selling some cards that are very dear (and in very played condition), but I see no reason to keep a collection like back in the days, when I was young.
It has lost its appeal to 'collect' in such a fashion.

I am more of a player now and I intend to win Worlds again, before there is no one left to play. I wish that was sarcasm, but we have to be realistic that there is a time when no one will be left and the game dies for good.

With Magic The Gathering, on the other hand, I do not see that. Not in 10 years, not in 20, not in 30. (Perhaps SOME DAY, but STCCG dies before that. Long before.)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation