For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Anyone else wish now they had the foresight to buy a ton of ST:CCG, keep it and sell it off slowly now for their retirement plan?

I don't know how it is over in 2E, but in 1E, All Good Things has been insane for a while, and I've even seen one guy now selling The Motion Pictures for $70 a booster pack on eBay and people are buying it! You could get a box each of The Trouble With Tribbles and Mirror, Mirror for that price easily.

Tribbles seems to be staying sane with the original set still going for around $30, especially if you're willing to buy it used.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 pm Anyone else wish now they had the foresight to buy a ton of ST:CCG, keep it and sell it off slowly now for their retirement plan?

I don't know how it is over in 2E, but in 1E, All Good Things has been insane for a while, and I've even seen one guy now selling The Motion Pictures for $70 a booster pack on eBay and people are buying it! You could get a box each of The Trouble With Tribbles and Mirror, Mirror for that price easily.

Tribbles seems to be staying sane with the original set still going for around $30, especially if you're willing to buy it used.
An Abduction foil - one of the very late Decipher era REALLY hard to get tournament foils - just sold on ebay for over $1100 ... that's right: 4 figures for a single card.

I think that's the exception though. The most expensive things I'm seeing on eBay are the Necessary Evil X Foils and the Captain's Log Archive Foils, which look to be going for $25-40 apiece - relative chump change compared to AGT and late era DAs on the 1e side.

But yeah, the 2e tournament foils are definitely the high end, and it looks like there's a lot of upside for anyone looking to sell.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Armus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:42 pm

An Abduction foil - one of the very late Decipher era REALLY hard to get tournament foils - just sold on ebay for over $1100 ... that's right: 4 figures for a single card.
Wow! Just wow! You mean to tell me that I may have the ‘relatively comparative to a Black Lotus of MtG’ in a Star Trek ccg card worth a buttload of money? Granted, it’s not 1.25 million but four figures is a sweet sum for 1 little piece of cardboard! I think I picked up my copy about 5-7 years ago…can’t remember if I traded for it or won it in a raffle (possibly) but, hey maybe I should sell it? And I may have to look at what other D foils I have, hmmmm.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Also, if everyone had kept those boxes, then there'd be enough boxes to go around and they wouldn't be worth anything. (e.g. any product that tries to invoke this via "collect all 4").

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:24 am On the other hand, 1e tournament foils used to go for 40$ and are now half or less than that. Win some, lose some :).
Though it depends on the rarity of the foil. The only one I'm missing is the 34th Rule of Acquisition, and the last time I saw one available on eBay it was listed for around $150, and CategoryOne (if they had one) sells at $289. I think the cheapest I've seen any of the few cards I am missing from my collection was around $100 US, last time any of them were available.

I know I have some money cards from several CCG/TCG's. A couple I am planning to get graded once it's possible to do so again. A quick glance for one of them pulls anything from $700-1500 depending on grade/seller. I'm not really looking to sell, but it's kind of cool to ponder that I cracked a pack decades ago and pulled a card that now is worth more than all the money I put into that hobby at the time, probably by at least double.

EDIT: I checked PSA and the last GM10 of the card I mentioned recorded at auction went for a final bid of $12,100. I sincerely doubt mine is of that grade.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Star Trek, just like Magic The Gathering, is by definition a speculative market (which is not the same as a bubble).
Something like that is not exactly well-suited for a retirement plan.

The current prices will not hold.
No speculative market keeps only a trajectory current increasing prices.
Any speculative market will, eventually, either become an established market or burst and die. Usually 30 to 50 years after ermerging.
I would not bet my money on STCCG becoming an established market.

The number of players and collectors is way too small and the average age is 40+. In 40 years, many of the people in this very community will be dead or in a nursing home - and not care for their cards anymore.
Since there is no relevant influx of new players, the cards will be worth nothing.
The same applies to virtually all 'dead' CCGs.

NOW is the time to sell and invest in non-speculative investments.

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm Star Trek, just like Magic The Gathering, is by definition a speculative market (which is not the same as a bubble).

Any speculative market will, eventually, either become an established market or burst and die. Usually 30 to 50 years after ermerging.

The number of players and collectors is way too small and the average age is 40+. In 40 years, many of the people in this very community will be dead or in a nursing home - and not care for their cards anymore.
Since there is no relevant influx of new players, the cards will be worth nothing.

Agreed, and thank you for putting out solid economic advice.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
flrazor wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:58 pm
Dukat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm Star Trek, just like Magic The Gathering, is by definition a speculative market (which is not the same as a bubble).

Agreed, and thank you for putting out solid economic advice.
That assumes that it's all about money (and if it *is* all about money, then you're probably right).

However, I've been collecting these cards longer than I've been playing. I got my first WB Premiere Starter Deck in 1995 and didn't play in my first tournament until 2 years later.

I enjoy the games (yes, even 2e more often than not...) and I still enjoy collecting. I'm still a few cards short of a complete set in either edition, so for me there's still a "Thrill of the Hunt" aspect to it. Plus, the years of memories tied to these cards are not something one can put a price on.

Now, having said that... I AM in the process of (Finally!) organizing my collection, and if there's a market to be had, I'm definitely interested in selling/trading away my superfluous cards, of which I'm sure I have more than a few.

As for the rest of my collection... my children can have it when I'm gone, enjoy it themselves, sell it if it is worth anything, or if nothing else, use it as the basis for my funeral pyre... :D
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
More to the point, I think the market went nuts last year because of American covid stimulus checks, and similar economic stimulus around the world. People have been asking, "We injected trillions of printed dollars into the economy! Shouldn't that cause huge inflation? Where's the inflation?"

Well, here it is! This and a few other weirdly specific markets have gone completely insane since the stimulus, as middle-class adults suddenly find themselves with a few thousand dollars of extra cash and nowhere else to spend it.

I suspect prices will fall back to Earth once the post-covid economy normalizes.

I do wish I'd saved my foil Stripped Down for this frenzy, but who could have predicted it? I sold mine off years ago to fund 1E purchases, and I am content.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:15 pm Look how Reserved List cards in the Mtg market are getting back to somewhat normal prices.
I'm glad my friend offloaded his Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale then. He got enough to buy a new camera, but looks like the price has already dropped 40ish% since then.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
About 2 to 3 months ago was the time to get rid of ALL Reserved List crap.

Gosh, there are so many crap cards on the RL. Those shitty cards, that kept their prices at one or two dollars (for 20, 25, almost 30 years) per piece all went up ... and FOMO Timmies were buying them.
Even STORES were buying them at inflated prices!

Now they all got burned, because they will never sell them for a profit or even at the price they bought them.

It was the time to get rid of all the RL crap and buy into conservative assets: ETFs, real estate, bonds and so on.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation