For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In this topic, the difference (e.g., series vs. film) and connection (e.g., [WC] ) between TNG and Generations are tangientally discussed.

I wanted to ask about that. (Didn't want to dilute the topic's flow, hence this new one.)

Purely from a canonical POV, I always assumed that Generations was more akin (i.e., more so than the later films) to TNG, because of things like the E'prise-D, the transitional uniforms, and even the last run of TOS cast cameos. (And, that such connections warranted the use of Generations as a plot device for TNG-boosting cards.) As such, I do see it as a bridge film even from a TNG-only perspective. (I guess that's not a novel view.)

In other words -- why were TNG and Gen made so "compatibly" in 1E?

Can anybody shed more light on this, from a creative and/or game perspective?
@KazonPADD , @pfti, ... anybody?
Last edited by SudenKapala on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I would assume because the prior films all clearly have an era, and the later ones are on the E. Generations (at least in part) is the D and so it is part of a mechanical era.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I always felt that Generations was a Conceptual End for TOS and TNG. Wrapping up all the Pre-E Enterprise storylines and making the slate clear for the E Movies. They "Killed" the Duras Sisters And Kirk. You can't get more Final than that. (I don't read the novels)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks, both! :)
pfti wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:24 pm I would assume because the prior films all clearly have an era, and the later ones are on the E. Generations (at least in part) is the D and so it is part of a mechanical era.
That aligns with my assumptions.
winterflames wrote:I always felt that Generations was a Conceptual End for [...] TNG. Wrapping up [...] You can't get more Final than that.
That way of looking at it is new for me. :cheersL: I saw All good things as the (partial) TNG farewell... but I do think your view has equal merrit. :thumbsup:
(I don't read the novels)
That might be a good thing. Listened to quite some abridged productions (most are 'meh' to 'okay'; but the narration is good), and read one or two novels... liked what they did with Saavik in the nobelizations for II and III... but overall, you don't miss much. OTOH, I really like the quality of the few 'Trech' manuals I got my hands on!

But let's not turn this into a book review -- that's what GoodReads is for.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I don't have any memory of specific discussions, but I believe it all came down to the ship. U.S.S. Enterprise-D = [1E-TNG] and U.S.S. Enterprise-E = [EE] . As for why the [CF] cards from Generations were included, I suspect it was just easier to demarcate by property logo cleanly rather than to carve out exceptions. Remember, when TNG came out in 2012, using property logos as gameplay elements was brand new. I suspect we just kept it simple. (Also, at the time we made Continuing Mission, there were 4 such personnel and 1 ship.)

-crp

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Also, there's the precedent of the Voyager-only format existing and The Motion Pictures including [CF] cards from the episode "Flashback", which were thus legal in Voyager-only.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:Also, there's the precedent of the Voyager-only format existing and The Motion Pictures including [CF] cards from the episode "Flashback", which were thus legal in Voyager-only.
Hadn't yet thought of that. But -- just for the record -- I totally don't mind. Actually, I had expected the simplicity that Lich mentions above (quoted below) to play a large part, and I'd reckon it would be a nuisance keeping track of e.g. [CF] cards.
MidnightLich wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:35 pm I don't have any memory of specific discussions, but I believe it all came down to the ship. U.S.S. Enterprise-D = [1E-TNG] and U.S.S. Enterprise-E = [EE] . As for why the [CF] cards from Generations were included, I suspect it was just easier to demarcate by property logo cleanly rather than to carve out exceptions. Remember, when TNG came out in 2012, using property logos as gameplay elements was brand new. I suspect we just kept it simple. (Also, at the time we made Continuing Mission, there were 4 such personnel and 1 ship.)
Thanks for that history. (Puts it in perspective.)

Story-wise, those nouns were part of respectively TNG and VOY. They played a role in the adventures and perils of the actual crews. So I don't have a beef, myself. I was just interested in the backgrounds.
Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]