For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I stopped watching Kurtzman-Trek altogether.

As long as people are watching it, they won't stop producing this god-aweful garbage.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I'm liking Discovery more as time goes on, and as I get more invested in some of the characters- one of my favorite series, it's getting close to Voyager :D

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
I haven't watched that crap - just readed the commentaries.
I hope that the new Series - Strange new worlds - will be good. At least I will give it a chance.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Discovery has gotten better and better with each season, although I think I personally enjoyed Season 3 more than this one so far. I need to do a grand rewatch of the whole thing, though.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I don't get the hate, but it's not required for me to. Everyone should make their own decisions. I'm enjoying all the current Star Trek shows and think it's great we're getting anything at all.

-crp
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Enabran wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:31 pm I haven't watched that crap - just readed the commentaries.
I hope that the new Series - Strange new worlds - will be good. At least I will give it a chance.
Honestly, give Discovery a try. The first season is very rough, but that's to be expected when they swapped out showrunners in the 4th episode. There are still some great episodes in there, especially the Harry Mudd ones. I also enjoyed the mirror universe stuff.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My wife quit watching after Book went AWOL. She didn't like where they were going with the 31st, and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Okay, watched season 4 to the end ...

It was torture.

- I disliked the Burnham character form the start and she is as shitty in season 4 as she was before, however, the actress seemed to make more use of that whispering voice ... it sounds like a sexual predator before making a move ... it's gruesome ... every time ... I very much dislike the actress and her 'acting'
- Tilly; same thing ... horrible acting

- every episode is either instant hardcore action on speed and meth OR psycho babble about feelings

- it seems like every character on Discovery is a trainwreck, that is, every MAIN character

- speaking about main characters: the show should be name Star Trek: Burnham ... after 4 seasons, we know virtually nothing about EVERYONE aboard the ship and all the other guys ... I mean nothing about their backstory that seems to matter ... except for that pain in the ass Book, who is a double trainwreck

- I would really love to actually see storyline time spend on Nilsson, Owosekun, Detmer, Reno and some others

- I also noticed that a lot of the acting shows HIGHLY insecure characters ... always ... all the time ... how can a military force only have people who are trainwrecks at any given moment?

- Gray and Adira Tal: SO freaking annoying ... I would have loved an episode where both get sucked into an airlock ... just like back in the days, where Tuvok attacked Neelix and I hoped Neelix would die, because he is so annoying 99% of the time ... but Tal (both of them) - even MORE annoying than Neelix;

This show is ... yuck.
And the REALLY decent actors and actresses are only in the background.

I don't get the hate, but it's not required for me to. Everyone should make their own decisions. I'm enjoying all the current Star Trek shows and think it's great we're getting anything at all.

-crp
Definitely no.

Your statement is somewhat equal to 'there are no stupid questions' ... which is definitely not true at all.
Instead of Discovery being made and time being wasted on it, I'd rather have nothing.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:29 am Instead of Discovery being made and time being wasted on it, I'd rather have nothing.
You don't have to watch it!

This is good for two reasons: (1) it allows you to escape the weekly frustration and suffering of watching Discovery, and (2) it allows your friends who enjoy Discovery to talk about what they're enjoying without you feeling the need to jump in and explain why they are wrong. They're having fun, and neither want nor need to hear why they should stop having fun.

I quit Discovery after Season 3, Episode 2 out of frustration + boredom + apathy. I quit Picard because every time I think about the first season finale I start to feel the way Trip Tucker felt about Degra. Today, I'm happier, my nuTrek-liking friends are happier, I'm able to enjoy Lower Decks and Prodigy (which are both... fine), and life's better all 'round! You guys are talking about how the Book subplot (arguably) went off the rails and how Adira Tal is (arguably) irritating... and I have no clear idea who those people are! I'm freeeee!

(I admit I do post on /r/star_trek* sometimes to vent about my still-enormous Feelings about nuTrek. But there I am surrounded by people who agree with me and don't mind my vent.)

*The subreddit for people who were banned from /r/startrek for expressing virtually any negativity about nuTrek and/or opposing censorship more broadly.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Just FYI, I kind of let myself ramble here. I've been reading the thread and this is not to "counter" any argument or say anyone else is wrong. This is just my reaction to what I've been reading.

Discovery isn't my favorite of the new Treks, but I don't consider it bad by any means. I generally feel that its main sin is missing opportunities. This was probably Discovery's best season since the first. (I know, many people don't like the first. I do. I think it did a great job at explaining being a Trekkie to a new generation. We start with a character that does a very un-Starfleet thing and end with her learning and making the choice to prevent Starfleet itself from doing a very un-Starfleet thing. If it was all one episode, it would be a solid pilot. I'm forgiving of that. If you aren't, that's fine with me.) The story this season was cohesive. The moves generally made sense. Each episode was generally different, which can be hard to do on a season-long arc.

I mostly agree that there were too many conversations about feelings. Sometimes at inopportune moments or in questionable locations. I'd rather more show than tell. I would like it if the writers trusted the actors more to portray an emotion or reaction and imply the consequences than spell them out and have a character thank another one for the emotional support constantly. I'd like to think I've shown myself to be a proponent of re-evaluating conclusions and ultimately thanking someone for challenging assumptions or decisions. There's a way to model that good behavior. I'm not sure this is it. My wife and I call it the Leave it to Beaver scenes. (I actually liked prickly Stamets. Is he even the same character?) And while it's not healthy to bottle up emotions long term, it shows professionalism to do it until a crisis is over. I can understand how constantly needing to talk it out gives the impression of insecurity. One of the best emotional scenes all season (to me) was Burnham coming to grips with Book's death and going on with the mission. One of the worst was the screaming scene between her and Suru. One showed an adult in pain, but forcing herself to do the hard work first (and was well paid off minutes later) and the other was forgettable fluff and not entirely earned; was the rocketing through cracking the 10C code really that stressful? I likewise cringed from time to time when the bridge crew did a smile review after figuring out a problem, but loved the contrast with Book and Tarka working together to get to a common goal, despite a few quips (though, never cruel) and not always seeing eye to eye. Far more humanity in that interaction.

Story-wise, I think binging seasons has made it harder for us to watch week by week, but my view might be skewed there too. I listened to podcasts doing weekly recaps and generally I heard that they kept the 10C dangling too long without payoff. I'm not sure, since the ultimate solution was fairly simple. The biggest miss all season to me was seeing Tarka's backstory. The entire time I was thinking, "Yeah, I know. He told us this already." I came to think that what they should have done is cut the scene where he justifies his reasons to Book while the Federation voted on how to proceed. Him just saying that he wanted the power source could have been enough. And then, the flashbacks could have meaning. But despite how that bothers me, I know it's a minor quibble.

I do think that the complaint about not knowing the support cast is a little lopsided. How much did (or do) we know about Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov? Little bits here and there are nice. (Though, how many lines do we need reminding us that Lt. Bryce isn't there and is working with Kovich?) It would be cool to see them take the lead in a side plot as opposed to being the crewmember of the week that gets to give Burnham a clue, but the original series did that too. The producers seem dead set on not making this an ensemble show. It's about Burnham. She's the star. I think that's a mistake too, but it is what it is.

Overall, I'll give the season a C+. It had an interesting enough mystery and some minor faults, but those faults were unfortunately memorable.

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Guardian wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:23 pmDiscovery isn't my favorite of the new Treks, but I don't consider it bad by any means. I generally feel that its main sin is missing opportunities.
This is exactly how I feel. I don't hate the show, but pretty much every time they do something I love they end up do something else that I despise. And everything in between I generally enjoy. They've also had major issues with wrapping up their seasons (not finished with 4 yet). This ends up making it a show that, on average, I like, but frustrates me more than I care for - just not enough to make me give up on it.
I do think that the complaint about not knowing the support cast is a little lopsided. How much did (or do) we know about Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov? [...] It would be cool to see them take the lead in a side plot as opposed to being the crewmember of the week that gets to give Burnham a clue, but the original series did that too. The producers seem dead set on not making this an ensemble show. It's about Burnham. She's the star. I think that's a mistake too, but it is what it is.
Big agree.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation