For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:30 pm
Dunnagh wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:26 pm What a downer this last episode (hide and seek) was. is this show not realizing there is something called "canon"?
What exactly do you think they contradicted?

The attention to detail by the people working on this show is amazing. They are all huge fans of TNG.

-crp
My guess would be
the existence of Robert in the flashbacks. He's nowhere to be seen. Also, the death of his mother at a young age contradicts the appearance of an elderly Maman Picard in "Where No One Has Gone Before." I did think they very cleverly covered that by Picard saying in the episode that he often pictured her growing older and offering him a cup of tea.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
That was covered in episode 1.
Mom says Robert is away at school. And yeah, they didn't say 100% she died in WNOHGB, but nothing in "Hide and Seek" contradicted that. If anything, it made that a much sadder scene.

-crp
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:49 pm That was covered in episode 1.
Mom says Robert is away at school. And yeah, they didn't say 100% she died in WNOHGB, but nothing in "Hide and Seek" contradicted that. If anything, it made that a much sadder scene.

-crp
I missed that statement in episode 1!

Agreed on the additional poignancy.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
All in all, i thought it was a really good season. Some stuff i didnt care for but overall, i thought it was solid.

Pros
- seeing Wesley come back, if only for a few seconds, as a Traveller, was pretty cool.
- the whole redemption arc with Q was beautiful. Seeing him openly admitted he cared about a lowly human, instead of him just a pawn / unworthy adversary, was fantastic. He genuinely views Picard as a friend.
- delving more into JLP's past was nice. In the day and age of talking about mental health, it was timely
- the ending, leaving the door open for a new threat and the Borg being 'the keeper of the gates' was interesting.
- Brent Spiner was pretty awesome as Soong. Arrogant, douchy, self-righteous..and delivered it well. Good actor.

Cons
- the whole Jurati as the BQ was weird. It just didnt sit right with me. Also, jesus, i get its not a high budget movie but good lord the effects for "Jurati Queen" were brutal. My 6yo could have finger painted something that looked more realistic
- Rios staying behind was a little bizarre. Even JLP said 'but the timeline,' and Rios is all 'the timeline can kiss my ass.' I realize JLP couldnt STOP him but still.

Looking forward to seeing what season 3 brings.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:30 pm
Dunnagh wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:26 pm What a downer this last episode (hide and seek) was. is this show not realizing there is something called "canon"?
What exactly do you think they contradicted?

The attention to detail by the people working on this show is amazing. They are all huge fans of TNG.

-crp

Or if the image isn't working for you... Maman Picard
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:10 pm Re: What exactly do you think they contradicted?

That was specifically addressed in the episode.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:23 pm
Armus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:10 pm Re: What exactly do you think they contradicted?

That was specifically addressed in the episode.

-crp
In a very flimsy way that tells me they were trying to retcon in some bullshit to specifically avoid such an obvious plot hole.

Pretty weak sauce, IMO, but my expectations of all modern trek are so low that I can't say I'm surprised.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
But that aside...

Are we just gonna all pretend that Time's Arrow just didn't happen? Because that's worse.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:27 pmIn a very flimsy way that tells me they were trying to retcon in some bullshit to specifically avoid such an obvious plot hole.

Pretty weak sauce, IMO, but my expectations of all modern trek are so low that I can't say I'm surprised.
So I haven't finished the season because there was a whole episode where Seven and Raffi were in a car chase and there's other stuff I can watch. But seeing criticisms like this one, ones about some minor continuity point from a season one TNG episode, they make me want to defend a series that I stopped watching out of frustration.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 pm
Armus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:27 pmIn a very flimsy way that tells me they were trying to retcon in some bullshit to specifically avoid such an obvious plot hole.

So I haven't finished the season because there was a whole episode where Seven and Raffi were in a car chase and there's other stuff I can watch. But seeing criticisms like this one, ones about some minor continuity point from a season one TNG episode, they make me want to defend a series that I stopped watching out of frustration.
Go ahead. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

My point is there's how many data (not Data) points from 7 seasons and 4 movies about Picard's family? A dozen on the high end? And they can't create a good story around so few points without having to retcon?

Do better, writers.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote:But that aside...

Are we just gonna all pretend that Time's Arrow just didn't happen? Because that's worse.
No. And neither did they. 21st Century Guinan who had a visible recognition. But the 18th was someone who was able to integrate into society, high society at that. Unfortunately, civil rights have changed in the intervening centuries as 21st specifically calls out in her first appearance, calling out being an observer herself.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Faithful Reader wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:56 am

No. And neither did they. 21st Century Guinan who had a visible recognition. But the 18th was someone who was able to integrate into society, high society at that. Unfortunately, civil rights have changed in the intervening centuries as 21st specifically calls out in her first appearance, calling out being an observer herself.
I thought Armus' comment weren't to do with civil rights/race relations, but simply 21st century Guinan didn't recognise Picard after meeting him in the 18th century.

I mean, sure, I've forgotten the names/faces of people I went to high school with 20+ years ago, so I guess a lapse in memory over 300+ years could be forgiven (even for someone you travelled through time with).

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:23 am
Faithful Reader wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:56 am

I thought Armus' comment weren't to do with civil rights/race relations, but simply 21st century Guinan didn't recognise Picard after meeting him in the 18th century.

I mean, sure, I've forgotten the names/faces of people I went to high school with 20+ years ago, so I guess a lapse in memory over 300+ years could be forgiven (even for someone you travelled through time with).
Per the showrunners, this is because Picard and Co. have come back from the Confederation future, where the events of Time's Arrow did not happen so she would not have the 18th Century memories of Picard.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:28 pm But that aside...

or
Relics with Scotty's Kirk reference, which was written and filmed before Generations which contradicted the episode?
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Cartagia wrote: Per the showrunners, this is because Picard and Co. have come back from the Confederation future, where the events of Time's Arrow did not happen so she would not have the 18th Century memories of Picard.
They came back before the timeline branched. This would be the bottom part of the Y.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]