For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Holy cow. Amazing pilot episode. I haven't loved an episode of trek like this in a long time.

A++++
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
We were promised a generally episodic series. They later changed course and said while the adventures would be episodic, the characters would have arcs. Think similar to how Discovery or Enterprise Season Three started with a general overarching problem but episodic beats for the first part at least.

We got a good Star Trek story here. Trek is at their best when they shine a mirror on our world and they did here, bringing in footage to show an alien species how things can go sour. That story had a beginning, middle and end. We got a sense of their population and they didn't have to do anything too finicky to do so.

Well, they did update their technology a bit. Sickbay/medical, the transporters and several other doodads got a boost. It is a good mixing of the sixties, Discovery and going their own.

The characters are fun as well. Ortega is the only new one and she has a fire in her. La'an Noonien-Soong's last name demands a follow up but she knows how to handle herself on the bridge or on a planet.

We've seen everyone else and one of the big draws of this was being able to bring in a more diverse cast. Bringing in people we already know whoa re diverse fits that bill but do not give us new friends to make. That was unavoidable with Spock, Pike and Una, but they are a package deal.

Pike continues to be haunted by his future, which he conveyed to Spock. It paints their bond in The Menagerie in yet another light since Spock wants to show Pike that there is more than just being in a chair.

The main cast got something to do, including a dash through the ship for the natives.

Such a great start to the series.

Pike and Spock showed a bit of nudity in their early scenes; I'm sure a certain scottsman was giddy.

Adrian Holms' casting as April is causing some ruckus online.

MOD EDIT (nobthehobbit, 2022-05-07): Post edited to remove sociopolitical comment.

By lotjx2
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Yea..they sorta reimagined the TOS named cast there is no denying that. However April was only seen in the cartoon which is cannon and not. It was nice to get him in this as a mentor character. The Noon-Soong is going to be the most problematic one as we go forward. Everything she said and did was giving hints she is related to a certain person however I have hope the writers do something to avoid it or just write her off. The Lt. Kirk thing was hysterical.

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I feel like I should point out the her name is La'an Noonien-Singh, not Soong.
Different family of historic people, which explains why she doesn't look like either Brent Spiner or Isa Briones...

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Episode two spoilers......

I am completely on board with how they treated the prime directive in this episode. Very much in line with TOS. the prime directive means not interfering in the natural development - not letting a species die when you could save them without them knowing.

I have always had severe issues with the way that *Pen Pals* and *Homeward* treated the PD. (And seriously, Homeward is in my bottom 5 Star Trek episodes of all time.).

It's arguably not even a retcon, as TOS was much more on this side of the coin.

By Cartagia
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
lotjx2 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:17 pm Yea..they sorta reimagined the TOS named cast there is no denying that.
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about their characterization of Nurse Chapel. Everything else felt really good. I still wish they didn't have Chapel or Uhura at all and stuck to the one-off characters, but I'll live.
The Lt. Kirk thing was hysterical.
Loved this fakeout. Loved it.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Cartagia wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:32 pm Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about their characterization of Nurse Chapel.
I've only seen the first episode so far, but I agree. She didn't really feel like the same person we met in TOS. Not that I dislike either interpretation, but it seems more like this Chapel is the original Chapel's spunky little sister.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:35 pm
Cartagia wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:32 pm Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about their characterization of Nurse Chapel.
I've only seen the first episode so far, but I agree. She didn't really feel like the same person we met in TOS. Not that I dislike either interpretation, but it seems more like this Chapel is the original Chapel's spunky little sister.
At least she’s not all lovelorn over Spock. Yet.

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
Should i watch the last 2 seasons of disco before watching this series? I also need to watch Picard season 2. It may be time for a paramount plus binge.

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mugato wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 pm Should i watch the last 2 seasons of disco before watching this series? I also need to watch Picard season 2. It may be time for a paramount plus binge.
Honestly nah, at least not so far, and probably not in the future either. You could get by without even watching Disco, really, but I would recommend watching at least season 2 and the Enterprise-related Short Treks.

By Spock with a Goatee (Stephen R Sanders)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mugato wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 pm Should i watch the last 2 seasons of disco before watching this series? I also need to watch Picard season 2. It may be time for a paramount plus binge.
You don't need to. If you've seen TOS' the Menagerie, you'll understand the main thing that they are referencing. They explain the other Disco Season 2 references well enough for people who haven't seen it.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
I was shocked to see Uhura on the main cast. As was the actress who plays her, apparently. It seems backwards to have this series that can have a new slate of characters and fill the cast with people we've seen before in three seasons and six movies. But they did a great job rewinding the clock and showing us an earlier version of the character. Having her get a breakout episode helped sell her, but they did a great job showcasing her and what this version can bring to the table.

The overall plot of the week was a great update on what they've done before. Uhura's solution was foretold well and they managed to appease the Shepherds while saving the planet. There was even some cool mysticism added in for intrigue. One of the best Trek versions of Fate vs. Free Will.

The Captain's mess scene was a fun way to open the episode and entirely in keeping with the guy who took time in Discovery to know the names of his bridge crew. I am hoping they do not keep focusing on the upcoming accident, but it was a nice touch for him to look up the kids who will be cadets in the end.

We got a longer than eight second scene with hemmer. Probably not the best way to introduce your character by having him be a dick to a cadet. I know he is Aenar but does he have Tellarite ancestry? He was friendly afterwards but this introduction was horrible.
Mugato wrote:Should i watch the last 2 seasons of disco before watching this series?
Not the last two but the first two might be useful, particularly the second. But it is ultimately not required. Everything you need is in the pilot.

Think MCU where they give you a recap but watching the prior films give you greater understanding.
Mugato wrote:I also need to watch Picard season 2.
Meh.
boromirofborg wrote:Episode two spoilers......
Snaps for you!
jadziadax8 wrote:
GooeyChewie wrote:
Cartagia wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about their characterization of Nurse Chapel.
At least she’s not all lovelorn over Spock. Yet.
Hopefully this doesn't become a character defining trait.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]