For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

How much would you donate to get the continental champion to worlds?

100$
20%
50$
40%
10$
No votes
0%
5$
20%
1$
20%

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
The STCCG World Championship is taking place in Orlando, Fl this year.
As of right now, it's looking to be an all american affair.

I was wondering how much it'd be worth to anybody in this community to make it a real "World Championship" and help getting the best players in the world (specifically the respective continental champions) into this event?

I believe the best talent in the world should be able to fight for the world championship.

Do you?

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
monty42 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:46 am The STCCG World Championship is taking place in Orlando, Fl this year.
As of right now, it's looking to be an all american affair.

I was wondering how much it'd be worth to anybody in this community to make it a real "World Championship" and help getting the best players in the world (specifically the respective continental champions) into this event?

I believe the best talent in the world should be able to fight for the world championship.

Do you?
I do not understand.

You think that getting to Worlds, in the U.S., is (only) a money issue?

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
I think (and in some cases I know) that money isn't always the limiting factor. Even with a comfortable budget to help get continental champ X and legendary player Y to continent Z, there would always be people missing out because of other commitments or circumstances beyond their control, so I probably wouldn't donate to a general fund.
That said, if for example a player I know personally would love to attend Worlds and can't simply because of monetary reasons, I could absolutely imagine supporting their personal gofundme or similar.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:34 am I think (and in some cases I know) that money isn't always the limiting factor. Even with a comfortable budget to help get continental champ X and legendary player Y to continent Z, there would always be people missing out because of other commitments or circumstances beyond their control, so I probably wouldn't donate to a general fund.
That said, if for example a player I know personally would love to attend Worlds and can't simply because of monetary reasons, I could absolutely imagine supporting their personal gofundme or similar.
There is another reason, at least for me.

I know I will not win any popularity contest stating the following, but I will voice it anyways:

My concern in the U.S. is for my safety - for good reason.
The U.S. is by far the most unsafe Western country in the world. The World Population review ranks it at position 36 of the most dangerous countries, even before South Africa.
The next Western country on that list is Greece - at position 97. All the other 95 slots before are vacated by other dangerous places in the world.

The chance of getting shot in the U.S. is 600 times higher than in Germany, but they only have five times the population (and only 4 times the number of guns).
What is even more stunning is the fact that there is a high probability to get shot not just by some maniac in a mall, at a school or basically anywhere else, but even by police officers.

As long as this level of danger stays the same in the U.S., I will not set foot on U.S. soil.

However, I will happily attend Worlds if it takes place in Canada or Australia or Japan, for example, given leave from work.
My better half agreed to turn such an event into a big vacation, with Worlds first and the rest of the time spend together.

But not in the U.S.
Perhaps never, as it is not forseeable that the legal situation ('stand your ground' laws) and the highly explosive political and socioeconomic situation, which is the reason for the violent and tense climate there, will change - for a very, very long time.

I would not go to the U.S., even if everything had been paid for me.

Call me a chicken or whatever, but that is my stance on the matter.
Perhaps, perhaps not, others have the same concern.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I don't understand the purpose of these anti-Worlds threads. Is CC being blamed for scheduling Worlds in the US? You know that wasn't our first choice, right?

Worlds was supposed to be in London but they withdrew their bid literally the day before the announcement. Orlando players weren't even consulted prior to the announcement.
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Nothing. It's almost a joke. You want a "REAL" Championship, Do it Online. SO THE WORLD CAN PLAY! :borg:

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
StateofSTCCG wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:42 pm Nothing. It's almost a joke. You want a "REAL" Championship, Do it Online. SO THE WORLD CAN PLAY! :borg:
Um, Android Mobile-based players cannot join your supposedly "Online" World Event. It is only available for Desktop and laptop (and supposedly Apple) players.

The rest of us, we are stuck with paper games.

#Soong-typeSTCCGforAndroid

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sorry, didn't mean to derail things, please return to your previous rants. (Technology explanation below)

I have an Android tablet and a Chromebook, for the kids homeschooling. I do have a desktop in the attic, but it's from college, bought resale in 2006 and likely wouldn't run anything useful, but most importantly, doesn't have a wifi card.

I am not a techno-nerd, I am a roleplaying and CCG geek. Technology is generally unnecessary for my interests.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Lackey runs on ANY system ... it is a primitive program that has virtually no significant system requirements.
As for a WiFi card: You get that for a few bucks.

Lackey is ugly, but it gets the job done.

It is probably the salvation for us all and brought us through the pandemic.
You should really give it a try.

I don't understand the purpose of these anti-Worlds threads. Is CC being blamed for scheduling Worlds in the US? You know that wasn't our first choice, right?

Worlds was supposed to be in London but they withdrew their bid literally the day before the announcement. Orlando players weren't even consulted prior to the announcement.
This is not 'anti-Worlds'.

I love Worlds, but I hate the fact that it is most of the time taking place in the U.S.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Did you miss the part where London won this year's bid (and in fact was the *only* bid)?

They were the ones who asked to defer to 2023 leaving no bids for 2022. It was only through outreach and asking that Eric R was able to accommodate.

Also, before last year, the last Worlds in the US was 2017. It was supposed to be back in 2020 but, you know, COVID. So Maggie deferred a year to host in 2021.

So you had two chances to go to Worlds in not-the-US before the pandemic hit, and you'll have another chance next year.

There's plenty of ways to criticize the CC, but "Worlds is always in the US" isn't one of them.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Armus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:27 amThere's plenty of ways to criticize the CC, but "Worlds is always in the US" isn't one of them.
I will take this as a compliment... I think. :wink:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:27 am Did you miss the part where London won this year's bid (and in fact was the *only* bid)?

They were the ones who asked to defer to 2023 leaving no bids for 2022. It was only through outreach and asking that Eric R was able to accommodate.

Also, before last year, the last Worlds in the US was 2017. It was supposed to be back in 2020 but, you know, COVID. So Maggie deferred a year to host in 2021.

So you had two chances to go to Worlds in not-the-US before the pandemic hit, and you'll have another chance next year.

There's plenty of ways to criticize the CC, but "Worlds is always in the US" isn't one of them.
This is partially not true. I have put in bids for major events and basically been rejected out of hand because, to put it colloquially, I'm either too far away from anything or I'm too close to MN take your pick. This year the problem was MN already having NACC so I wasn't asked but those in the decision making circle do *know* that I was available as an option.

I could have hosted world's this year and would have gladly done so AND thus been able to Livestream call the games exactly as I did earlier (which is where the inspiration originated btw).
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]