For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 171 posts
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
So I might end up playing this again. Someone at work was telling me about his character and it got me somewhat interested.

I logged back in today because I couldn't remember where I had left off. I have a level 65 Federation character that did all the levelling storylines but not much endgame content, and never got a T6 ship (I didn't want to spend the money on it). My active ship was a T5U, Voth something-or-other.

When I logged in, I received a claim for a free T6 (Vorgon something). Something about compensation for a reputation tracker that was phased out.

I've got a lot on my plate right now so don't know for sure that I'm coming back to this, but I'm considering it.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hope to see you soon! They are adding lots of Klingon stuff this year if thats your jam...

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Thread necro!!!

I just started playing this over the weekend for the first time. Any advice for a noob? Any pitfalls to avoid?

I created my first character - a trill science track with black hair who's ship: the USS Binksy is very defense and heal oriented. She's level 9 now as of this morning and is about to start the romulan story. It's been fun so far.

I've heard you get a free ship Evey so many levels and you can also grind for dilithium and zen to get others. Already saving to get a galaxy for 8500 dilithium.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Been a while since I've been on, so working from memory:

You will get a new ship every few levels (until 50, I think?), and they're all Strictly Better than the older ones, so don't spend any real money on stuff until Tier 5. (Which kinda sucks IMO - maybe I wanna spend more time flying around a Defiant or Stargazer!)

The Eng/Tac/Sci is basically your class (and then each tier of ships specializes one way or another), but I think there's very few places where your choice actually matters. (Couple plot points where you do A instead of B and C, but you end up in the same place.)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Thanks. I'm happy to just enjoy the storyline and play for free and purchase a galaxy with in game dilithium once I get enough together then once I get to that level I will select a defiant class with my free level choice.

I will probably spend real cash one time just to support and not be a total mooch. But will wait to do it once I understand everything better and know what I want to spend it on.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I still play when I can. Kids, work, the-usual-excuses, etc. keep me from being on too much.

Science will be heals, buff/debuff, control depending on how you spec out. You have the most options for exotic weapons (i.e. not phasers or disruptors). You will not be top-tier DPS but will have lots of options

You get a new ship every 10ish levels when promoted to Commander, Captain, Admiral. All the "big stuff" is tier t5 and 6 so don't spend till you get to that. However there are refits of the more iconic classes of starships. So you can fly a defiant at captain, then try some other stuff as you progress through the admiral ranks, and then if you still want a defiant you can get a T5 (or T6?) refit defiant that has end game stats but looks like how you want it to.

I don't think there are too many traps except maybe don't waste too many resources on common (white) uncommon (green) bridge officers. Eventually you will get some mission rewards that are rare (blue) and very rare (purple) and then you'll staff you're ship with them. For now just enjoy the story and flow of the game. You don't have to PVP if you don't want to. You kinda get two games/characters in one since you gear your character and ship separately, and you have both ground and space skills for your character.

My :twocents:

P.S. I have several characters that are high level so if you are struggling with some gear or need a few credits PM me here.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:29 pm I still play when I can. Kids, work, the-usual-excuses, etc. keep me from being on too much.

Science will be heals, buff/debuff, control depending on how you spec out. You have the most options for exotic weapons (i.e. not phasers or disruptors). You will not be top-tier DPS but will have lots of options

You get a new ship every 10ish levels when promoted to Commander, Captain, Admiral. All the "big stuff" is tier t5 and 6 so don't spend till you get to that. However there are refits of the more iconic classes of starships. So you can fly a defiant at captain, then try some other stuff as you progress through the admiral ranks, and then if you still want a defiant you can get a T5 (or T6?) refit defiant that has end game stats but looks like how you want it to.

I don't think there are too many traps except maybe don't waste too many resources on common (white) uncommon (green) bridge officers. Eventually you will get some mission rewards that are rare (blue) and very rare (purple) and then you'll staff you're ship with them. For now just enjoy the story and flow of the game. You don't have to PVP if you don't want to. You kinda get two games/characters in one since you gear your character and ship separately, and you have both ground and space skills for your character.

My :twocents:

P.S. I have several characters that are high level so if you are struggling with some gear or need a few credits PM me here.
Thanks Dan. I'm just gonna play it for how I'll enjoy it and not worry about min maxing. This is my literally first mmorpg so I expect to suck and as such, I'm gonna enjoy the journey and just do what's fun to me regardless if its best for endgame stuff. That's so far away....and I don't even know how many ppl even play anymore, plus I have no clue about the fleet stuff yet. I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something truly stupid and hurt my progress.

It seems pretty easy to grasp though - do the story to level up then when you max move over to fleet stuff with that character and go back and do the story again with a new character. Anything I'm missing?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sounds like you're set! "Enjoy the ride" is the best way to tackle any MMORPG in my opinion - otherwise why bother?
You don't have to start a new character unless you want to though - after max level there is 'end game content'. We'll cover that when you get there.

You get a handful of respec tokens for your character skills as you progress so don't worry about messing anything up.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I was into this for a short burst, now not so much.

One of these days I need to get back in there, find the ideal ways to spec both my character and my ship, remap the controls correctly, and then I can get back into it.

It just seemed the game was way too frequent with completely de-speccing me and me having to re-spec due to changes in their system.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Having fun. Reached captain and am on my way to lvl40. Got my galaxy class and am really enjoying the missions. It's a fun story.

I totally geeked when approached DS9, docked and walked around. Cathartic.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The DS9 re-do is fantastic. Fun to watch the wormhole too IMHO.
 -  
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 am The DS9 re-do is fantastic. Fun to watch the wormhole too IMHO.
I'll have to check that out. When I walked around it was cool, but had that "kinda too big" feel that indoor spaces in MMOs often have.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:28 pm Having fun. Reached captain and am on my way to lvl40. Got my galaxy class and am really enjoying the missions. It's a fun story.

I totally geeked when approached DS9, docked and walked around. Cathartic.
Get your nerd on, Kev! Sounds fun!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 am
Iron Prime wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 am The DS9 re-do is fantastic. Fun to watch the wormhole too IMHO.
I'll have to check that out. When I walked around it was cool, but had that "kinda too big" feel that indoor spaces in MMOs often have.
Old one was too big, but they fixed it. You should definitely hop on to see it!
 -  
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:38 pm Old one was too big, but they fixed it. You should definitely hop on to see it!
Definitely looks better than I remember. Everything feels clunky, but I think half of that is that I've been off long enough that all my skill have reset (and I think some of the keybindings? I spent part of a fight trying to turn on "shoot my phaser, please and thanks" :P ).
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]