The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
First of all, some good (but probably expected news): Will of the Collective will return in 2009! It's too early to tell when and where and how, but we do want to start gathering your ideas and your suggestions for how to make this year's process even bigger and better than last year's!

We are open to any and all suggestions, no matter how off-beat or off-the-wall. Bring it on, people, and help shape the second ever community designed card!

-crp
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
One suggestion that I remember from before was the design team give the community a specific goal, and you work from there. Some examples I remember were "a Klingon personnel" or "an Artifact."

-crp

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
An Artifact with the Decay keyword!

Decay: 5. Artifact.

Right now I'm thinking of Berlinghoff Rasmussen (spelling?) timepod. Lets you peek at either the future or the past for five turns

Since it's Decay it would probably be better as an event than as an equipment.

[Fut] [Pa] [Fut] [Pa]

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Altoid wrote:An Artifact with the Decay keyword!

Decay: 5. Artifact.

Right now I'm thinking of Berlinghoff Rasmussen (spelling?) timepod. Lets you peek at either the future or the past for five turns

Since it's Decay it would probably be better as an event than as an equipment.

[Fut] [Pa] [Fut] [Pa]
Well gee, now that you've designed the entire card already, what's the point in running it as a WotC? ;-)

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Altoid wrote:Lets you peek at either the future or the past for five turns
Looking into the future sounds simple enough - (at its most basic) glancing through the top few cards of the deck/dilemma pile - but I'm not sure what mechanic you'd use to peek into/at the past?

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Altoid, the card is a great idea, but now it's kind of ruined. Maybe Brad, Mike, and Charlie can just lift that as a freebie.

That said, a Decay Artifact would be an honest challenge because the card's real meat would be restricted to about four lines if no lore is to be put on it.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:I'd prefer to talk about ideas for the process itself, rather than specific card ideas.
The process last time seemed satisfactory, if wasteful. So many good ideas were generated and only one card comes out of it. I'm hoping that the other submitted ideas were also looked at.

Analogy: the process last time was like taking a whole tree and making one toothpick out of it

Suggestion for alternate process:
Assign five-person teams to work on one card
(in Corporate terms these would be ad hoc sub-committees)

Alpha-Team comes up with a space dilemma
Beta-Team comes up with a planet dilemma
Gamma-Team comes up with a dual dilemma
Delta-Team comes up with a Decay Artifact ;)

Could also have "elections" for team leaders and have all people who want to be on a team sign up for that team. Make it first come first serve so the first four people to sign up for Alpha-Team get in.

The team leaders submit the team's complete card idea via PM

The group as a whole votes on the four submitted cards and whichever team wins gets their card made into a virtual card with the other three ideas also given consideration.

:twocents:

By Lysander
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Altoid wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:I'd prefer to talk about ideas for the process itself, rather than specific card ideas.
The process last time seemed satisfactory, if wasteful. So many good ideas were generated and only one card comes out of it. I'm hoping that the other submitted ideas were also looked at.

Analogy: the process last time was like taking a whole tree and making one toothpick out of it

Suggestion for alternate process:
Assign five-person teams to work on one card
(in Corporate terms these would be ad hoc sub-committees)

Alpha-Team comes up with a space dilemma
Beta-Team comes up with a planet dilemma
Gamma-Team comes up with a dual dilemma
Delta-Team comes up with a Decay Artifact ;)

Could also have "elections" for team leaders and have all people who want to be on a team sign up for that team. Make it first come first serve so the first four people to sign up for Alpha-Team get in.

The team leaders submit the team's complete card idea via PM

The group as a whole votes on the four submitted cards and whichever team wins gets their card made into a virtual card with the other three ideas also given consideration.

:twocents:
Wouldn't this prevent the card from being a true community effort?

It would be nice if their was some way to keep this a true community effort and yet not have so much effort go into producing one single card.

I have no idea how to best balance the involvement vs effort aspects.

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Lysander wrote:Wouldn't this prevent the card from being a true community effort?
You say that like it's a bad thing.
The entire community could be involved... just not all at once on the same card. They'd be involved in the final vote.

Analogy: American Idol. The judges get the thousands of contestants down to the final 12, then "America Votes"
Lysander wrote:It would be nice if their was some way to keep this a true community effort and yet not have so much effort go into producing one single card.
I'll stick with the American Idol analogy. "America" votes to give us one winner; even so some of the people who get voted out earlier have good/great musical careers.

By Lysander
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Altoid wrote:
Lysander wrote:Wouldn't this prevent the card from being a true community effort?
You say that like it's a bad thing.
The entire community could be involved... just not all at once on the same card. They'd be involved in the final vote.

Analogy: American Idol. The judges get the thousands of contestants down to the final 12, then "America Votes"
Lysander wrote:It would be nice if their was some way to keep this a true community effort and yet not have so much effort go into producing one single card.
I'll stick with the American Idol analogy. "America" votes to give us one winner; even so some of the people who get voted out earlier have good/great musical careers.
But to me the best part is actually being involved in the design of the card, not just voting for the card that I like the most. The design team could create 20 cards and let the community chose the 10 that they like the most. It would be the same as what you are proposing except for the 20 that get to actively be involved in designing their own super dream card.

I don't feel that simply voting on the final card is enough community involvement to make this any more then a make your own dream card contest.

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  

-crp
I was pointing to an example that would provide a strong challenge. As far the process itself, I haven't yet thought of a way to keep people involved if their ideas are dropped during the process.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Why does the process only have to be used once a year? In the same vein, I like the idea of more than one card coming out of the process.

I also like the idea of having a goal; I work better with a goal. Last time, we started with choosing a card type. Perhaps next time, we could start by choosing a goal (i.e. boost Romulan mission solving, nerf Borg, carrot Replicate, etc.) as the first step in the process and then game concept, and then card type.
Last edited by CFHollister on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]

Klingon Neelix ponderings

I am collecting data at this point. Someone aske[…]

Keep in mind that it doesn't stop anyone itself, m[…]