The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
How about a 1E concept into 2E: Espionage.

I am thinking something that let's you attempt a mission with a cost of adding Intelligence to the mission's requirements.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
How about a space mission with...

When you have completed this mission, each other mission you commands adds "Any affiliation may attempt and complete this mission."

I would think that would solve the initial idea, be free from FSE and other removal effects, get around NecEX being a guaranteed hit (if it were planet). It could be a 25 pointer (or 30 pointer) to make you work for whatever other missions you choose, allowing each/any affiliation to still remain fairly creative in mission selections.

By Lysander
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
karonofborg13 wrote:How about a space mission with...

When you have completed this mission, each other mission you commands adds "Any affiliation may attempt and complete this mission."

I would think that would solve the initial idea, be free from FSE and other removal effects, get around NecEX being a guaranteed hit (if it were planet). It could be a 25 pointer (or 30 pointer) to make you work for whatever other missions you choose, allowing each/any affiliation to still remain fairly creative in mission selections.
My problem with that is that you are tied to using that specific mission, doesn't really open up the mission selction or deck options.

I'm torn between having the card have a high opportunity cost to use but be able to be used on multiple missions a game, or having a much lower opportunity cost, but being able to use only on one mission a game.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
whampiri wrote:how about a personnel who says:

...This personnel may attempt any mission worth 40points or less...
Ignoring the rest (which I think is unneccesary, but I see why you put it there), this is an awesome addition to the simple text I suggested...I would only change one thing: 40 or more points. What awesome grease for 40 or more decks! My biggest problems fitting in those guys is the mission selection (that is until we get still more "Any affiliation may attempt this mission." [a phrase I'm not extremely crazy with being so ubiquitious] 40-point missions).

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
How about this?

Equipment: Orb of Prophecy and Change
Unique
Personnel with [Fut] and [Pa] icons that are present can attempt any mission regardless of affiliation icon. OR Discard to save a [Baj] personnel that has been selected to die.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
What about something like this:

Mission: [Insert Title Here]
[Insert Type (S/P) Here]
[Insert Image Here]
[Insert Point Total and Quadrant Here]
[Insert Requirements Here] (Note, it may be cool to have a set of requirements for each attribute so any affiliation can find it useful)
Text: You may attempt any non-HQ mission you command.
Order- Place the top card of your dilemma pile beneath an opponent's mission to draw a card for each different affiliation icon on your missions, then discard a card for each affiliation icon on your missions that matches a headquarters you command. You may do this only once each turn.
Any affiliation may attempt this mission
[Insert Span Here]

Some additional variants:

Make the requirements difficult and/or add the text "you cannot command another mission of this type" or "you must complete this mission to win the game" This gives you a cost to access what otherwise would be an awesome drawing engine.

Thoughts?

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
This is a real tough nut to crack. A mission seems to be the right type of card to solve this problem, and the Design Team could enforce a cost of using a mission that is in and of itself not particularly helpful.

Here's the basic core of what I have in mind:
Event
To play this event, you must command one or fewer headquarters missions.
Plays in your core. Your personnel may attempt and complete any mission.
This event cannot be removed from play.
The most obvious problem is drawing this into the hand. Everyone succumbs to the occasional Rakal Shuffle, and Second Edition has been good about giving players the means to overcome that bad shuffle without becoming the exercise of "find card X" that eventually overcome First Edition. Keeping the cost at 0 would mitigate some of the "search cost" for this card, and there are means of grabbing events, but nothing completely bulletproof. (Nor should there ever be!)

Granted, I'm not as well-versed in all of the cards of the game as I should be. I'm very rusty, but it seems like this problem might need a solution from outside the realm of current mechanisms.

As Second Edition evolved in the first few sets, I recall there being some talk about special cards that might enter play before the game started. The concept would be something similar to the "seed cards" of First Edition. This might turn a few stomachs, but I think such a mechanism is warranted here. If we believe this kind of gameplay option is highly desirable, we should do what we can to make it easy on the player.

When I first heard of this seed concept, one word stuck to my brain and hasn't left since: Launch. It seemed like an appropriate kind of keyword to have around. I say "keyword" because (A) no way in h*ll do we need another card type ever and (B) it could be applied to any reasonable card type -- equipment, events, personnel, ships.

The first incarnation of Launch appeared on a few private dream cards. I could never get the syntax just right, but it was something like:
Launch: 3 (When you place your missions face up, you may play this card from your deck. Draw three fewer cards in your opening hand.)
As you can see, I set the cost to be a variable number of opening hand cards, which could be significant. Obviously, a Launch card would have to be something quite spectacular to warrant giving up that opening hand. Something extraordinary could have a Launch cost of 7, thus robbing a player of a turn.

I haven't really spent a lot of time thinking about it since then. But now because of this discussion I've let it marinate in the brain for a little while. I never really liked this, but I rarely like anything I concoct for this game. Why didn't I like this hypothetical concept? I can't say. I think I just didn't like meddling with the opening of the game, and the variable cost scale could allow two or three cards other than missions on the table before that player starts.

Was there something far more Second Edition-y I could do? Yes...
Launch (When you place your missons face up, you may play this card from your deck at cost 0. Remove one of your missions from the game.)
There is slaughtering of several sacred cows here. It seems quite ludicrous. Also, the syntax is off.

In light of this callout text, I think my earlier stipulation might be a bit too limiting from a gamesmanship perspective. Here goes nothing...
[1] *Seek Out New Life and New Civilizations
Event
Launch (When you place your missons face up, you may
play this card from your deck. Remove one of your missions from
the game.)
Plays in your core. Your personnel may attempt
and complete any mission. This event cannot be removed from
play.
I removed the previous restriction on having only one headquarters because you are giving up a mission to use this. And, if a two-HQ player wants to try this, he should feel free to do so. Favor the Bold comes in handy there.

But, this is a mess and I'm proposing something completely off the table.

Enjoy.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
The Ninja Scot wrote:HQ - Smugglers Den

You may report only [NA] personnel, ships and equipment to this headquarters. You may attempt and solve any mission without your affiliation's icon. You may not command another HQ.
I really like this idea.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Just to chime in,

1. I really miss seed cards from 1E. That and interactive battles. (I.E. - ones where the tide could turn easily, such as when both players used battle bridges.)

2. - the real point - I love the idea of using a mission as a non-destructible event. You would be paying a high price, but for a high benefit.

Such as:
Diplomatic Conference
Planet: Parliment
(No actual attempt text or points)
Order - If your non- [Bor] Diplomacy personnel is on this planet, you may discard 2 cards from hand to add their affiliation to the affiliations that may attempt another of your missions until the end of this turn.

Obvously the cost, ect are variable, but the basic tenets of the card would be to let you attempt other missions, you must a) give up a mission, b) devote one of your personnel to 'opening the door', which would in turn give your opponent a way to stop you by killing your personnel.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Jaybird wrote:
Ferengi Captain wrote:Unless it makes all missions for every player Ferengi I'm gonna have to vote no on this one. It just seems like a pointless card that opens up a huge can of food.
You mean, makes all missions Ferengi like this card? :wink:
Yes, but another one. :)

Honestly I am scared about what a card like this could do for icons in the game. Sorta would be killing off an interesting aspect of the game.
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
Ferengi Captain wrote:Honestly I am scared about what a card like this could do for icons in the game. Sorta would be killing off an interesting aspect of the game.
Thats why these cards should stay preventable and risky. If you are going to try out missions you normally can't do, then you have to pay the price in terms of risk.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Some peopel are saying that they would not likely play with a card like this if it were preventable because then you are locked out. But in most single HQ decks you usually only complete 3 of your missions. So if you end up getting locked out of 1 one of them it won't be the end of the world.

I would use a card like this if I could build a deck that has 3 missions that my affiliation can complete, but I have a 4th mission that has some bonus for completing it that doesn't match my affiliation. That way if I don't draw this new card it would not destroy me, but if I do and manage to keep it from being destroyed, I get an advantage.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Ah, I've got an idea!

Let's have a mission (so it can't be easily countered). Instead of going the HQ mission path, it could be a non-Headquarters mission that allows you to attempt and complete other missions. In order to prevent it from being too powerful, perhaps you'd have to complete that mission first. So, here we go:

[S] •Insert mission that makes sense with the ability
[AQ] - 35 Points
Nifty mission requirements here
While this mission is completed, your personnel may attempt and complete your other missions.
Any affiliation may attempt this mission
Span 3

I chose [S] over [P] because otherwise Starfleet wouldn't use the mission. I chose [AQ] because most affiliations (aside from Voyager) can use [AQ] missions easily. (DS9 is in the Alpha Quadrant, even though it often uses the Gamma Quadrant. Borg and Dominion often use Alpha Quadrant as well.)

Of course, all of that is up to debate and balancing, but the main focus is to have something that can't get you locked out. Biogenic Weapon would be a problem, but not as much so as Far Seeing Eyes because you can destroy Biogenic Weapon, whereas you can't go back and get things from out of play once FSE goes off.

Hi guys, maybe a totally stupid question ... I h[…]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]