The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
This post introduces another of the cards concepts you will get to choose from for the Will of the Collective II process. Feel free to use this thread to discuss the pros and cons of this concept (and only this concept), pitch ideas, and so forth. Make sure to keep an open mind, and look at each concept in turn - give them all a fair shake!

As I mentioned in the original post for this process, the card concept is just a single, simple, statement of what the card should do. No reference to story, specific mechanics, or anything along those lines. Not even a reference to card type.

The first of our WotC II concepts comes from yours truly (Charlie Plaine), assistant designer on The Undiscovered Country and Raise the Stakes:

Concept #2:
A main character not playing that character
I chose this concept because I saw at least thirty (30) different options for cards that could come from it. And that's just personnel - it opens up even more if you consider a verb! What do you think?

-crp
Ambassador
By Linkan (Torbjörn Lindquist)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Architect
An interesting concept. I think its a better concept for WotC than #1 is. But I still want to see more of the concepts before I say so much more. Hope for many interesting concepts, where it will be very hard to choose which one is the best.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
MidnightLich wrote:Concept #2:
Forgive me for being thicker than the large print version of the complete works of Charles Dickens, but I don't get it. Do you mean something like "Jean-Luc Picard, Mot" (from "Starship Mine") or "William T. Riker, Rivas Jakara" (from TNG's First Contact)? If that's not the case, could someone just give me quick example of what you do mean?

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Concept #2:
My mind is thinking this is possibly:
A) Tim Russ when he wasn't playing Tuvok, instead he was someone else in TNG episode "Starship Mine"
B) Picard pretending to be Mot, the Barber in "Starship Mine"
C) Data pretending to be Sherlock Holmes in "Ship in a Bottle"

the difference between B & C being B is in the "real world" and C is in a holodeck/acting scenario (like Data pretending to be Scrooge or Riker when he was playing that crazy person in one of Dr. Crusher's plays)

Questions about this concept:

Q1) is it A,B, or C above, or something else?

Q2) If it is concept C, would the card title be something like "Data, Scrooge" or would it be "Scrooge"

Up-side to the concept (if it is B or C):
It provides more "versions" of people we know from a certain episode

Down-side to the concept (if it is B or C):
It turns everyone into Kira

Btw, my preference is leaning towards concept A above. Hoping the design team found lots of times when the actor was playing someone else :) Concept A gives more card titles so someone could have in play both Tim Russ as Mercenary #7 from "Starship Mine" and have in play Tuvok

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
If you limit it to personnel that wouldn't be personae of existing characters that still leaves you with:
- "Our Man Bashir" holograms
- "Fistful of Datas" holograms
- "Far Beyond the Stars" characters
- And as you say, actors who played 'main characters' but also had cameos as minor characters at other times (see here)
 -  
Prophet
Any time one of the actors who plays a main character (i.e. Brent Spiner as Data) is playing a character that isn't calling himself that character (Data as Sherlock Holmes, Spiner as Lore, etc.)

LOTS of wiggle room.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Linkan wrote:An interesting concept. I think its a better concept for WotC than #1 is. But I still want to see more of the concepts before I say so much more. Hope for many interesting concepts, where it will be very hard to choose which one is the best.
I don't want you to DECIDE at this time, not until you've seen all of the concepts. But I don't want anyone to hold back either. I'm introducing the concepts this way so that people can ask questions, generate ideas, and give each idea it's due, rather than just give them a cursory glance.

I think a lot of people in WOTC 1 just locked on to an idea they liked and ignored the others, which is a valid tactic. But in this case, I'm hoping people will spend a little more time on each idea on its own, before processing them all and choosing their favorite.

To each their own, though.

-crp

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
This sounds interesting. Another one that springs to mind is Janice Lester in Kirk's body from "Turnabout Intruder".

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Escape Artist wrote:If any character other than Bashir or Garak from "Our Man Bashir" were picked, would the species be hologram?
I don't think so. Wasn't something mentioned in the episode about not killing them, as it would kill their bodies? I reckon they'd go down as their respective races.
nobthehobbit wrote:This sounds interesting. Another one that springs to mind is Janice Lester in Kirk's body from "Turnabout Intruder".
If that's the route it ends up going down, it could be quite interesting. TNG's "Power Play" could also be drawn upon, where those 3 aliens take control of O'Brien, Troi and Data. And then there's that God-awful episode of Voyager when The Doctor takes control of Seven's body ("Body and Soul"). :cry:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:
Escape Artist wrote:If any character other than Bashir or Garak from "Our Man Bashir" were picked, would the species be hologram?
I don't think so. Wasn't something mentioned in the episode about not killing them, as it would kill their bodies? I reckon they'd go down as their respective races.
nobthehobbit wrote:This sounds interesting. Another one that springs to mind is Janice Lester in Kirk's body from "Turnabout Intruder".
If that's the route it ends up going down, it could be quite interesting. TNG's "Power Play" could also be drawn upon, where those 3 aliens take control of O'Brien, Troi and Data. And then there's that God-awful episode of Voyager when The Doctor takes control of Seven's body ("Body and Soul"). :cry:
That's it then. Body and Soul focused it shall be. ;p

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Linkan wrote:An interesting concept. I think its a better concept for WotC than #1 is. But I still want to see more of the concepts before I say so much more. Hope for many interesting concepts, where it will be very hard to choose which one is the best.
How did "Wizards of the Coast" (WotC) get in there? :wink:

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]